What is Rei reading?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:14 am

A swastika is a manji? I'd say it's more the other way around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:19 am

I don't know what came first.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:22 am

I think the Japanese imported their kanji from China before the Nazis were around...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:30 am

But I'm not sure if this one was added after the swastika became known by the nazis.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:35 am

Don't be such a doubter!

(EDIT: Although until I saw that article, I wasn't aware that 'svastika' was the thing's original name. Learn something new every day.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:24 am

Well I'm not sure where I heard this, it was either in the flcl commentary or in some flcl related thing I read. It was concerning the scene where kamon dresses up like a nazi when he's having a gunfight with Naota. In Japan nazi paraphenalia is regarded a bit differently then it is in western society. It's still frowned upon somewhat by the genneral public but in the same way that someone wearing anarchy symbols might be frowned upon in the US. This is why it might be somewhat popular amongst some of the more rebellious younger genneration there.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:07 am

Defectron wrote:It's still frowned upon somewhat by the genneral public but in the same way that someone wearing anarchy symbols might be frowned upon in the US. This is why it might be somewhat popular amongst some of the more rebellious younger genneration there.

If you were a particularly daring and rebellious Japanese youth you could wear a shirt that read: "I raped Nanking and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

That would ruffle a few feathers over there. Maybe it wouldn't cause a stir. Everyone would just pretend they didn't see it.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:11 am

Defectron wrote:Well I'm not sure where I heard this, it was either in the flcl commentary or in some flcl related thing I read. It was concerning the scene where kamon dresses up like a nazi when he's having a gunfight with Naota. In Japan nazi paraphenalia is regarded a bit differently then it is in western society. It's still frowned upon somewhat by the genneral public but in the same way that someone wearing anarchy symbols might be frowned upon in the US. This is why it might be somewhat popular amongst some of the more rebellious younger genneration there.

Well, you do have to remember which side the Japanese were on in WWII. Nazi symbols are banned in Germany itself even today because of the powerful memories they can conjure up; I'm sure this is part of the reason they are still seen in Japan. Also, we sometimes forget what masters of propaganda and image-politics the Nazis were. Their uniforms and military designs were designed to inspire service to the fascist state, just like every other aspect of Nazi design (see Leni Reifenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" to experience this yourself). It's no wonder, then, that Japanese uniform-fetishists have adopted them, especially since the Japanese culture has never really had to admit WWII was a mistake.

And on a tangentially related and lighter note, a history lesson for you:
[url]http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_20057151.asp[/url]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:42 am

Screw the Nazis. I'm all for rehabilitating the svastika.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Bud
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Bud » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:55 am

drinian wrote:the Japanese culture has never really had to admit WWII was a mistake.

WWII sucked but it wasn't a mistake. I think it served a pretty good purpose. How the Japanese acted during WWII was a pretty big mistake though. And since Japan is bult a lot around secrecy an shame, it really no wonder why they haven't officially apologized for their actions like Germany has.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:34 am

Reichu wrote:Screw the Nazis. I'm all for rehabilitating the svastika.

You might as well try rehabilitating crosses or the long s.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:15 pm

Condemning a symbol that has been around for millennia and used by cultures across multiple continents because it's misued by a bunch of racist assholes is pretty silly, IMO. Nazis be damned, and political correctness, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:32 pm

My mom thinks Eva is a nazi show.

You know, Japan hooking up with Germany.
;_;

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:48 pm

no offence... your mom is a retard!!!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:10 pm

My mom thinks Eva is a nazi show.

Well I'm half Japanese and one quarter german. None of me is italian though.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Machinehead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:44 pm

Shnooks wrote:My mom thinks Eva is a nazi show.

;_;

My mom thinks Eva is a kid's show, and thinks buying the DVDs is a waste of money. We were in a car with a few friends, and we were discussing movies. We asked eachother what our favorite movies were.

Mom: What's your favorite movie?

Me: Hmmm. Most likely, The End of Evangelion.

Mom: That's not a movie. It's a cartoon.

>_<'
Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:05 pm

Machinehead wrote:My mom thinks Eva is a kid's show, and thinks buying the DVDs is a waste of money. We were in a car with a few friends, and we were discussing movies. We asked eachother what our favorite movies were.

Mom: What's your favorite movie?

Me: Hmmm. Most likely, The End of Evangelion.

Mom: That's not a movie. It's a cartoon.

Don't bother trying to change her mind.

Now that this is completely off-topic, this quote recently seen on Slashdot might help illustrate why I say that:
Forget the nudity, everything else is too intense for (Cartoon Network)'s demographic, and honestly, I don't feel comfortable showing the anime to others without a good sense of self. It makes you feel uncomfortable at times, and unless you can actually enjoy having your mind twisted likes a towel... don't watch this anime.

Taking a show that involves battling evil monsters in giant robots seriously takes way more suspension of disbelief than I think most people have, which I think might help explain why "reality" and crime shows are so popular. Oh well.

Edit: What was it you were correcting again, Reichu?
Last edited by drinian on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:22 pm

Taking a show that involves anorexic teenagers with impossibly huge eyes battling mysterious and bizarre sentients in giant armored humanoids seriously takes way more suspension of disbelief than I think most people have, which I think might help explain why "reality" and crime shows are so popular.

Fixed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Reichu wrote:
Taking a show that involves anorexic teenagers with impossibly huge eyes battling mysterious and bizarre sentients in giant armored humanoids seriously takes way more suspension of disbelief than I think most people have, which I think might help explain why "reality" and crime shows are so popular.

Fixed.

Right, actually I wasn't just referring to the pilots but to the cast in general. And there should have been an "unrealistically" in front to modify that.

What was the topic again?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:24 pm

If you weren't talking about just the pilots, they why did you say "battling evil monsters in giant robots"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”