Why the live action footage in End of Eva?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Shinji-kun
Banned

Why the live action footage in End of Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am

I was wondering, in the End of Eva, around the time of the sandbox scene, why did Hideaki Anno choose to include live action shots of Japanese people.

I heard that people think it's an example of post modernism. I would say it was to show the world that Shinji would have missed if he didn't reject completement. What do you guys think

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:41 am

To screw with what was left of our minds.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Shinji-kun
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:51 am

There was even a shot of hate mail saying something like "die Anno!"

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 am

Sort of:

[url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats[/url]
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

I like to think that it helps ground the film in reality. It makes it relevant to the people in the real world.

Also, Hideaki Anno was flirting with Live Action filmmaking for the first time since his Daicon days.

Also, there was the alternate live action sequence which, like the alternate reality shown in episode 26 of the TV series, shows another way things could be.

Also, Hideaki Anno likes to experiment. He threw in all kinds of different stuff, for example, the undersides of the animation cells from the TV series.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 pm

I think Anno was trying to show us the dream like state that Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Yuri were in during Instrumentality. It's one of the most gorgeous moments in all of cinema. No words could describe it, and none of the characters even tried to explain what was going on. And that's the way it should be. :)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 am

It's also another Ideon reference.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:32 pm

^Oh, yeah, must find Ideon...

Perhaps quite literally a representation of a big part of the Lilim population eating popcorn while watching events unfold. Perhaps Anno sees many people sitting around in Life while waiting for something to happen, or saw himself that way. Maybe even a comment on the film's literal audience.

Pushing the envelope or standing outside of the medium's form can only create questions.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:45 pm

VoidEater wrote:Perhaps quite literally a representation of a big part of the Lilim population eating popcorn while watching events unfold. Perhaps Anno sees many people sitting around in Life while waiting for something to happen, or saw himself that way. Maybe even a comment on the film's literal audience

I'm interpreting it as Anno's message to the Japanese Otaku subgroup to get a life.

Fredrick2003
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredrick2003 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Allemann wrote:
VoidEater wrote:Perhaps quite literally a representation of a big part of the Lilim population eating popcorn while watching events unfold. Perhaps Anno sees many people sitting around in Life while waiting for something to happen, or saw himself that way. Maybe even a comment on the film's literal audience

I'm interpreting it as Anno's message to the Japanese Otaku subgroup to get a life.

Most likely this honestly...

Also, I read an interview awhile back where he goes into detail about how he feels about the Otaku community. I know he discusses it a little in multiple interviews but this one was LOOOONG and focused on this topic.

Anyone know where I can find this again...?

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:46 am

Allemann wrote:

That hospital scene was probably a BIG stab at the Otaku community. Personally, I don't take offense to that, because many of us Otaku's are losers who jerk of to hentai characters. But many of us do have job, do have lives, are married, have children, and a good social life. :grin:

But if this is true, then I understand where Anno is coming from.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:45 am

I'm more curious how anno took the footage, if the whole audience in that cut agreed to be in EoE, if they themselves were watching a movie (and what one), etc.

a synopsis I read somewhere phrased it pretty well: EoE breaks the fourth wall so hard, the camera turns itself around on the audience and proceeds to walk right out of the theater and into the streets.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

I love the end of evangelion. Ive watched it more than any other movie BUT... i hated the live action sequence.

I just think it ruins the flow of the movie and reminds you that you're watching an animation. I've been thinking of doing a fan edit of the movie, replacing the live action sequence with other eva footage.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm

skikes wrote:I love the end of evangelion. Ive watched it more than any other movie BUT... i hated the live action sequence.

I just think it ruins the flow of the movie and reminds you that you're watching an animation.

But I love that aspect of it! It brings you back to reality, which is one of the ideas that was being conveyed.

steve_stevenson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby steve_stevenson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:10 pm

at first I was like wtf, then I was like SHIT JUST GOT REAL

FallenTabris wrote:I'm more curious how anno took the footage, if the whole audience in that cut agreed to be in EoE, if they themselves were watching a movie (and what one), etc.

I guessed they were watching Death & Rebirth

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”