Why is Asuka (so universally) hated?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:35 pm

J_Faulkner wrote:spoilt, egotistical brat?

You complain about my theories to be too reductionist, but isn't that reductionist?
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Faulkner what you are saying can be applied to anyone in the show, not just Asuka.l

Why should we feel bad for Asuka? She's a bitchy brat.
Why should we feel bad for Shinji? He's a weak coward.
Rei's an emotionless husk.
Misato's a vengeful drunken slut.
Gendo is a controlling maniac.

Honestly I think we are getting a little over analytical of the characters in NGE.
Lolfreudian

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:51 pm

Mad wrote:Misato's a vengeful drunken slut.

I don't get why everybody thinks she's such a slut. She's only been with like one person, evar. Just because she's a little flirty toward Shinji (in a totally fun, joking way) and dresses comfortably when she's home, why is she slut?

Honestly I think we are getting a little over analytical of the characters in NGE.

Nonsense!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm

There are Asuka haters ? :wife: :fighter: :pirate:
give me the names !!! point me in the direction and i'll HAVE THEM !!! :sadomaso:

:shoot1: :gun-shades: :shoot2: :shoot2: :headbeat: :duel:
ANATA BAKA !?

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Sachi wrote:
Mad wrote:Misato's a vengeful drunken slut.

I don't get why everybody thinks she's such a slut. She's only been with like one person, evar. Just because she's a little flirty toward Shinji (in a totally fun, joking way) and dresses comfortably when she's home, why is she slut?

Nonsense!

She's a slut because I say she's a slut.

I actually was just using the common misconception of her to prove my point. Thats my excuse anyway.
Lolfreudian

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Just to make my point.

I like Asuka.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:04 am

Sachi wrote:I don't get why everybody thinks she's such a slut.
She fits /a/'s definition, being a non-virgin female. But slattern is a much more appropriate label.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:32 am

Sachi: Bitter End Misato would like a word with you.

Regardless of her problems involving Shinji/Kaji/Katsuragi, she's not a slut just because she's laid back at home. :um-no: She only dates Kaji despite her issuses.

Also, Asuka's hated because like Shinji, people don't look past the surface or just hate her attitude problem. Although she and Rei (and Misato) have tons of fans compared to, say, Shinji's lack of fans, gender of fans aside...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:09 am

besides even she she got laid with the bridge dude as well so what, why would that make her a slut, she is not receiving money in exchange of sex, why are woman sluts and man not viewed under the same light ?
and i'm a straight guy btw.

if there is a slut in the series its the akagis.
ANATA BAKA !?

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 pm

bladerj wrote:besides even she she got laid with the bridge dude as well so what

Misato? No she didn't.

if there is a slut in the series its the akagis.

...coincidentally this statement falls right into the double standard you were just complaining about a sentence or two ago, considering that you're not calling Gendo a slut for being sexually involved with, at different points, Yui, Naoko, and Ritsuko. I'm not sure what makes the Akagis fit this term..? <_<

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:She fits /a/'s definition, being a non-virgin female.

Because /a/ is well known for knowing how women actually work, of course.

All the shitting Faulkner has taken on Asuka and the way he showcases himself leaves me to further believe that at the core, Eva fans are Asuka (Super Ego), angry at their own inner Shinji (Ego) and forever fighting with their Rei (Id).

On the other hand, he's trolling and hasn't been banned yet, so what do I know.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Eric wrote:On the other hand, he's trolling and hasn't been banned yet, so what do I know.

Keep in mind just because something isn't discussed publicly doesn't mean the staff isn't aware of it. So far at least, Faulkner hasn't done anything "ban-worthy" other than trolling, which forum-members tend to get away anyway, with depending on the context.

Anyway, topic.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:12 am

@Eric Blair

You're probably right about Faulkner, but I'm not getting into that. Banning him is the mods' job, not ours.

You have that Id-Ego-SuperEgo thingy backwards.

Asuka is loud, emotional, passionate and driven. She is the Id.

Rei, by contrast, is cool, composed, emotionless (nearly) and does what she has to and nothing more. She's the Superego.

Shinji is the ego. He's stuck in the middle, a balance of both. He has flashes of both the Id in his berserk rages and the Superego in his own drive to do what he has to.

On-Topic:
As for why we hate Asuka, I used to hate her because I hate Tsundere on principle. Then I realized something; I was a bit of a hypocrite. I bashed Asuka and her own mental trauma while at the same time I put Shinji on a pedestal and ignored all his faults. I still like him more than her, but I have to respect Asuka as a deep, complex character, despite her acting like a rancid cunt. She's grouchy, but not necessarily cruel to people. The hard part is realizing that. She's also more of someone I would like to have by my side in a fight: noisy, grouchy, but able to get people out of a pinch.

Plus, that last fight with her versus the nine grinning ghouls was lovely to watch.

By contrast, Shinji's more of a guy you'd like to hang out with as a roommate. He's polite, considerate, and kind-hearted. Of course, people take that a little too far and call him spineless....but that's for the Shinji-hating thread.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

cojax8
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby cojax8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 am

Id-Ego-Superego? lol. Freud’s theories are kinda laughed at now in psychology, so I don’t necessarily know using them as justifications is a good thing. Besides, the Superego is the conscience/moral center. And Rei wouldn’t seem like the person to debate whether its moral or not, and the Ego's only concern is doing what the Id wants’, but finding how to do it in realistic ways, which does seem more like Rei then not. So Ego=Rei, Super=Shinji.

I do like some of Freud's general theories, but not the specifics.

As for topic, I never hated Asuka, quite the contrary, when I first saw Eva I was much like Shinji and when Asuka showed up, that was something I, more or less, wanted to be. Maybe not as hostile, but strong. As for the other chracters, I never hated anyone besides SEELE, Gendo, and a lil bit of the Akagis.
A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes, but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud
We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so forlornly unhappy as when we have lost our love object or its love. -Sigmund Freud
If someone offered you a pill that would make you permanently happy, you would be well advised to run fast and run far. Emotion is a compass that tells us what to do, and a compass that is perpetually stuck on NORTH is worthless. - Daniel Gilbert

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Besides, the Superego is the conscience/moral center. And Rei wouldn’t seem like the person to debate whether its moral or not,

Well, actually, the Superego is also the side that seeks approval by conforming with social reality. It's more than just morality, it's also the part that wants to conform to the rules of the world around it, as ingrained into it as taught at an impressionable age and all that shit. The Superego is in charge of, say, "I need to make my bed every morning", even though that has fuck-all to do with morality. So if someone was taught "I need to jerk it every morning to keep off prostate cancer", then the Superego would manage that to an extent too.

and the Ego's only concern is doing what the Id wants’, but finding how to do it in realistic ways, which does seem more like Rei then not. So Ego=Rei, Super=Shinji.

The Ego wants to serve both the Id and the Superego; it doesn't really prefer one over the other in a healthy mind. The Ego's job is to reconcile the two so they can both be happy.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 pm

^
All this Freudian crap has nothing to do with the topic. Just saying.

I used to hate Asuka because she wasn't Rei, but these days I more just pity her. Between her family and Nerv-Germany she's been turned into a perfect storm of unresolved trauma, so her behavior, while dreadful, is understandable. I still don't actually like her though.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

So far at least, Faulkner hasn't done anything "ban-worthy" other than trolling, which forum-members tend to get away anyway, with depending on the context.

Faulkner makes the forums more amusing to me, besides without him I never wouldve come up with this sequence below.

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=333628#333628

You have that Id-Ego-SuperEgo thingy backwards.

Asuka is loud, emotional, passionate and driven. She is the Id.

Rei, by contrast, is cool, composed, emotionless (nearly) and does what she has to and nothing more. She's the Superego.

From what I know of Freudian theory this is the correct interpretation. At the very least Asuka would definitely be the ID anyway.

I don't support a lot of freuds theories, but this one at least makes some sense to me.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:53 pm

The funny thing is I watched NGE in subs first and I hated Asuka. Then I rewatched it in dubs and was more sympathetic and accepting of her.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”