I noticed, the series has a tendency to not show..

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

I noticed, the series has a tendency to not show..

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:43 am

Secondary characters' whole faces.

The admiral in ep. 8, Fuyutsuki's superior professor in ep. 21, the JSSDF soldier Misato debrains in EoE, and others.

It seems pretty common in ep. 21, actually. It's an interesting perspective; sort of dehumanizes everything else.

Oh yeah, one other thing unrelated--Fuyutsuki has a full ashtray in an ep. 21 flashback. He used to be a smoker.. implied similarities between him and Ritsuko?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:04 am

The ep. 7 montage where all of the people are deferring the decision to shutdown JA is another good example of not showing faces. The effect is precisely what you mean; it dehumanizes them and increases one's sense of dealing with a cold, faceless bureaucracy.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 am

Welcome to Typical Anime Tropes 101.

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:53 am

There's a difference between not showing faces and constructing your shots so faces seem deliberately obscured.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 am

Is this typical anime? I can't immediately think of many that use the device profusely.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:50 am

Timesaving device. Don't have to do unnecessary design work this way.

Though, they did draw up the captain and second-in-command from 08 without their hats on and everything, so I guess that argument doesn't always work. Then again, there are also various totally insignificant characters whose faces you do see (Chinese Dude on Plane, Dog Lady, Cat Lady, Candidate Takahashi Campaign Lady...).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I noticed, the series has a tendency to not show..

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:24 am

FallenTabris wrote:Secondary characters' whole faces.
Not just secodary -- there's that Rei/Asuka dialog where the speaking character's head is out of frame, giving a good view of boobs and hips, and nothing to actyally animate.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 am

Well... they had to save money for the last part of the series, right? ;) As long as the characters' mouths aren't shown they don't have to spend time (and money) animating them while talking...

Nathan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nathan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:26 am

I actually quite liked those shots, from an artistic point of view
I'm Not Living, I'm Just Killing Time

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:59 pm

This isn't uncommon.

It's seen in other shows, cartoons/anime, comics/manga, and movies.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Reichu wrote:Timesaving device. Don't have to do unnecessary design work this way.

Though, they did draw up the captain and second-in-command from 08 without their hats on and everything, so I guess that argument doesn't always work. Then again, there are also various totally insignificant characters whose faces you do see (Chinese Dude on Plane, Dog Lady, Cat Lady, Candidate Takahashi Campaign Lady...).

Joseph the PRPD wrote:This isn't uncommon.

It's seen in other shows, cartoons/anime, comics/manga, and movies.

Ditto. Although I would be curious if there's any concrete reason, as opposed to people speculating vaguely about dehumanization.

If it were really a time saving measure, Sadamoto, the laziest Japanese person to ever have lived, would not have designed Asuka's mother in the manga, and would have played those scenes out the same as the anime.

Topic has been pwned.

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 am

As I said earlier, other series don't make it a point to mask all or most of the faces of some secondaries with onscreen objects. saying "topic pwned" is also pretty pompous and unlikeable.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:09 pm

"Other series" being...? Are we talking about a thorough survey of hundreds of anime here?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Using shadow or only showing half of someone's face has been used in film since film began. It's normally done with the "villains".

Notice how, besides Keel, you never see any other SEELE committee member's entire face....there's a reason for that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Fast Tony DeNiro wrote:Notice how, besides Keel, you never see any other SEELE committee member's entire face....there's a reason for that.

You see the four other committee members' faces quite clearly, unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Ok so my example was shot down in flames. It's been awhile since I watched the show and I just remember you never see the green guy's entire face. Maybe you see the others.

But that wasn't really the point anyways. In a lot of movies and TV shows, the villains face is concealed somehow. Shadow, a mask...it's a pretty common film device.

The same is also done with minor characters, because, well, who cares? They're minor characters there's no reason to show them really.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Fast Tony DeNiro wrote:I just remember you never see the green guy's entire face.

Memory is a tragic thing.

Image Image
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Reichu wrote:"Other series" being...? Are we talking about a thorough survey of hundreds of anime here?

Let's not subject it to just anime. It's been used in a lot of others stuff as well.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

beast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby beast » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 am

The Angels perpective. Of the fourteen angels that we see fight against the evangelion we only see armisael perspective and then only his metaphysical point of view. It is fascinating especially from the fact that so many movies have made the point of enemt perspective everything. Predator and Terminator are the obvious ones, but Jaws, Enemy at the Gates and many others. We never know how an Angel sees.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 am

beast wrote:The Angels perpective.
http://angryflower.com/evange.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”