Could a Eva Unit survive an A/H-Bomb?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Mon May 25, 2009 1:31 pm

I dunno, the biggest apocalyptic thing in 2I and 3I were the Anti AT Fields. And 3I involved multiple Evangelions and the GNR. Not the normal mode of operation for Evangelion combat.

Although this thread avoids the tactical/deployment weaknesses of the Evas.

As an Israeli military commander once said: "A modern jet fighter is the most advanced weapon in the world. If it can get off the ground" He was the same guy who came up with the tactic of basically blowing up all of the enemy's runways (via using those bombs that burrow about 20 feet below ground before detonating, creating a large crater) before they even knew what happened, making their fighter jets multi-million dollar paperweights. Very effective against military forces who rely on only a few bases, such as those in the Middle East. :nyao:

So, applying this tactic: Nuke NERV to a glass-lined crater (muster up enough nuclear weapons in a coordinated strike, and you can easily do it) before they can get their pilots to the Evangelions. You might not be able to destroy the Evas (or maybe you can, since the AT Field only deploys when the pilot's in the Entry Plug), but you'll certainly kill the people needed to run the things. 01's useless without Shinji, and even more useless without the people in command, or any power sources. It's just a giant multi-billion dollar paperweight now.

Of course SEELE didn't use this because they needed the Evas and the contents of the Black Moon, but if there was an enemy that didn't need things like Evangelions...
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon May 25, 2009 3:30 pm

evas were a bit more defense orientated, defending lilith was their main purpose battle wise

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon May 25, 2009 3:32 pm

Show was not really well in the "techie" aspects of mecha anime. The show was very liberal in the usage of everything, heck they couldn't keep a simple size scale going for the show.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon May 25, 2009 6:21 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:Show was not really well in the "techie" aspects of mecha anime.
This is a good point.

Anyway, from what I gather, the human soul is the most "powerful" thing around. The ability to seal yourself away is almost without equal (think of how difficult it was for Misato to break through, and she's, personality-wise, like a nuclear weapon). Thus, I imagine Yui's ability to block a nuclear weapon is more about the thematic content of NGE, than actual science.

I used the "Impacts" rather loosely, my bad. I wanted to illustrate the power of metaphysics over physics.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon May 25, 2009 7:12 pm

I can't remember the source, so this probably should go into my misconception/error section, but I remember reading somewhere that N2 mines were essentially a highly efficient fusion weapon that avoided the fission trigger that contemporary "dirty" H-Bombs use...It seemed plausible, and either way N2 weapons seem to be roughly on the same level as Tactical nuclear warheads, If so the ATF must have some way to counter the radiation/heat and shockwave, again I think it was in the manga had a page somewhere stating that Ramiel's field altered the atmosphere around it so it be how to mitigate the blast.

Eitherway we've seen Sachi get hit with one and walk away with 2nd-3rd degree burns, Israfel and Kyoko (with Asuka and Shinji inside duringGos1) also were hit and got nasty burns, but nothing fatal.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Mon May 25, 2009 8:42 pm

From what I understand, the immediate effect of a nuclear bomb is basically a huge pressure wave. Actually humans seem to be able to survive the pressure wave but the buildings around them are not, so they collapse and kill the humans inside/nearby.

Then there's the effects of radiation. Burns and also inner organ death mainly because of the effects of radiation on cell division.

So it's up to the ability of the AT field to stop matter and radiation. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that it does stop matter so it should be able to stop the pressure wave. Radiation I'm not sure, were the AT fields ever shown to stop light or a laser or any kind of beam? If so then maybe the Evas can survive a nuclear bomb.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Evayo » Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Synapsid wrote:Eitherway we've seen Sachi get hit with one and walk away with 2nd-3rd degree burns

Not to mention blisters, in 1.11. That can't be healthy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 27, 2009 2:05 pm

drinian wrote:I don't know why I didn't just reference this to begin with, the wiki is there for a reason:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/N%C2%B2_weapon

That page is currently marked for inaccuracy due to lingering Vreckage.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 pm

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Thu May 28, 2009 6:26 pm

I guess it does then.

Come to think of it, even if the Eva's AT field wasn't strong enough to block the radiation, any damage that it takes would probably be repairable.

By the way, the english Kaworu voice is extra gay...
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu May 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I wonder if Evas like beer? Maybe they could use beer to sooth radiation burns! ;-)
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri May 29, 2009 12:07 pm

By the way, the english Kaworu voice is extra gay...

You say that as if his original voice wasn't ridiculously homosexual too.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”