Why is Shinji so universally hated?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Yeah, anime does love to exaggerate proportions.

BUt still, people tend to say Asuka's more badass than Shinji, overlooking his victories.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Zaque » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 pm

NemZ wrote:I liked him just fine until he crumbled. I thought he was getting better throughout the series, but in the end he really disappointed me.

Ah, my bad, I'll go fix that then.

CyberXIII wrote:I meant besides that.

What more is needed? :P
Seriously though, I think it probably is because whatever "faults" Asuka has are generally not looked down upon by society as a whole than those of Shinji. Also she's regarded as more badass because she is more badass than Shinji; I for one don't recall Shinji's mentality ever resembling that of Asuka when she fought those harpies.
Everything is subject to change.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Zaque wrote:I for one don't recall Shinji's mentality ever resembling that of Asuka when she fought those harpies.

He was in that sort of zone when he took Zeruel on: "GWWAAARRRRGGGHH MAIM KILL DESTROY OHHHHH YEAH." I guess Asuka was just barely enough in touch with her usual reality (at least, up to a point) to remember to whine about Shinji and pretend her (and Mommy's) chances were much higher than they actually were. But you catch my drift, right?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Not to mention her usual arrogance.

Zeruel wasn't quite the only instance. Anyone remember Shamshel's stabbity death?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 pm

CyberXIII wrote:Not to mention her usual arrogance.

I thought I had that covered, albeit not in as few words.

Zeruel wasn't quite the only instance. Anyone remember Shamshel's stabbity death?

Shinji was more or less there during the fight with Possessed Eva-02 (see: battle scream), as well, but the screen time didn't give it much emphasis. Too bad.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Asuka hate needs it's own thread.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:36 pm

I know, it's just a comparison.

When was there a Possessed Eva-02?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 pm

I believe Reichu is talking about ep24, when Kaworu makes Shinji fight 02 in the epic clash of prog knives that happens mostly offscreen and must have been totally badass.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

snowballreborn
Lilith

Postby snowballreborn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 am

NemZ wrote:Asuka hate needs it's own thread.

I second this.

Asuka is almost exactly like Shinji except she hides her emotions and intead lashes out at people and acts like a total bitch to everybody. I can see why someone could sympathize with her though.

The funny thing about Shinji is that he appears to be and is possibly the most helpless, troubled, and distressed character in the whole series and the extent he shows his state brings out the hidden emotions of all of the other characters, specifically in the total mind interviews/etc. presented in episodes 25/26 and EoE. It eventually becomes questionable whether Shinji is the most troubled of all of the characters in the series and that almost every single character in the series is troubled, disturbed, and distressed with the possible exception of the people who didn't see anything or person they desired before being tanged in EoE.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 am

Asuka thread up!
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:57 am

The funny thing about Shinji is that he appears to be and is possibly the most helpless, troubled, and distressed character in the whole series and the extent he shows his state brings out the hidden emotions of all of the other characters, specifically in the total mind interviews/etc. presented in episodes 25/26 and EoE. It eventually becomes questionable whether Shinji is the most troubled of all of the characters in the series and that almost every single character in the series is troubled, disturbed, and distressed with the possible exception of the people who didn't see anything or person they desired before being tanged in EoE.

Shinji seems to know how to tap into the inherent weakness of anyone who watches Eva, he may me realize that I was a unmotivated individual who doesn't have any direction in life and I am easily swayed by any other idea other than my own. Shinji Ikari single handly made normally masculine males into whimpering babies, I just cannot help be impressed at Anno and Sadamoto for designing this guy, he really is depressed.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm

And that is why he is hated in the west.

Do you want to be reminded of your own weaknesses?

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm

It's hard not to at some level hate all the characters in Eva, they all seem to screw up at some point or not say or do what is needed at the time. They are all flawed people except for Pen Pen.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:57 pm

CyberXIII wrote:And that is why he is hated in the west.

Do you want to be reminded of your own weaknesses?

No I guess not, nobody really does actually because we all like to believe that some matters don't really affect us when they really do. Eva just reminded how I learned to hide my true feelings about everything and since watching Eva, I am reminded of how weak I actually am, how humanity is actually frail despite evidence to the contrary.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:31 pm

above

Humanity isn't frail. It's stupid, but not frail.

As Agent K put it:

Agent K wrote:A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

When we come together, however, we are capable of great things, for better or worse.

Better: Civil Rights Movement
Worse: WWII

EDIT: Fixed, NemZ.
Last edited by CyberXIII on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:15 pm

CyberXIII wrote:When we come, however, we are capable of great things, for better or worse.

...come? I not know of what you saying are. Explain for please.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:24 pm

@cyberXIII I stand corrected.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 pm

That should read come together, NemZ.

That's what I get for trying to be deep.

Shackel
Adam

Postby Shackel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm not going to really get too deep into it, mainly because I think EoE was not meant for psychologists to try and figure out what was wrong with an animated character by doing things ranging from just pointing out obvious things to basically over-analyzing it so much that it's just sad.

Personally, I think the reason Shinji is hated is because he had possibly the best life any male would ever dream of, only to reject it, beg for sympathy, then fall apart and get almost EVERYONE killed due to the characters not being ones to give sympathy in the first place.

Of course, this just makes everything worse, which leads to a chain reaction of everything he worked for going out in an instant.

Basically, it's like if someone you knew was rich wanted to give you $1,000,000, and you turned them down... When you have a $500k debt. Not only is everyone going to hate you, they're going to call you a moron anyway.
Don't you hate it when people have unimaginative signatures?

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Shackel wrote:I'm not going to really get too deep into it, mainly because I think EoE was not meant for psychologists to try and figure out what was wrong with an animated character by doing things ranging from just pointing out obvious things to basically over-analyzing it so much that it's just sad.

Personally, I think the reason Shinji is hated is because he had possibly the best life any male would ever dream of, only to reject it, beg for sympathy, then fall apart and get almost EVERYONE killed due to the characters not being ones to give sympathy in the first place.

Of course, this just makes everything worse, which leads to a chain reaction of everything he worked for going out in an instant.

Basically, it's like if someone you knew was rich wanted to give you $1,000,000, and you turned them down... When you have a $500k debt. Not only is everyone going to hate you, they're going to call you a moron anyway.

Were you paying attention at all during the series? Shinji's life sucks balls.

His dad couldn't care less if he lives or dies(as far as he knows), his bitchy love interest treats him like dirt, his mom's dead, and the only reason anyone in the rest of the cast cares that he exists is because he can pilot Eva-01.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”