Shinji and "I'm home" (Tadaima)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

Shinji and "I'm home" (Tadaima)

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:43 pm

I notice that in episode 2, Shinji struggles to say "tadaima!" to Misato ("I'm home") on entering Misato's apartment

Yet in episode 9, he just casually says "tadaima" before acknowledging that he's just doing it out of habit and (as he thinks) no one is home. You know, how you are I might say "Hi I'm home" out of habit even though we know the house is empty.

The question is this: is this a sign that Shinji is opening up more and is thinking of it as his actual "home" more.....or is this simply because he thinks no one is around, and if he had expected Misato to be in the apartment, he would have reacted differently?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Japanese people say that all the time as if it's a tradition (same with leaving the house), I think it has nothing to do with whether Misato was at home or not, just that he's been living there long enough that he's used to it.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:22 pm

yeah the thing is that I wonder if he'd still do it if the house *weren't* empty
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Semisubtle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Semisubtle » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Yes. He did it automatically. As in, he anticipated someone being there, only to remember someone was not. The end.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:05 am

i learned about this last semester during Japanese 1, its customary to say i'm home when entering and i'm leaving when leaving even if you live alone. your speaking to your house in this case

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Shinji and "I'm home" (Tadaima)

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:24 am

I would think that the initial "I'm home" is Shinji trying to convince himself that yes, here is where he belongs and is expected to live, so once he's come to that conclusion (that this truly is his home), saying it is going to be a heck of a lot easier in subsequent arrivals, no matter who's there. Both instances reflect his current attitude, regardless of whether he's alone or with someone.
Gamer_2k4

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Re: Shinji and "I'm home" (Tadaima)

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:30 am

V wrote:The question is this: is this a sign that Shinji is opening up more and is thinking of it as his actual "home" more.....or is this simply because he thinks no one is around, and if he had expected Misato to be in the apartment, he would have reacted differently?

All of those are plausible. There is no way to know.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:17 am

I think you're probably making too much of this V. The reason Shinji seems to be struggling to say "tadaima" in ep. 02 is that he starts to say "ojamashimasu", "pardon the intrusion". This is what the Japanese say when entering someone else's home. Misato reminds him that this is also his home now, and he corrects it to "tadaima". There's nothing in the show to suggest that he had difficulty saying "I'm home" from that point on.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:44 pm

in that case, yes, I will take this as a sign that "he's more used to being there" now
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”