The entry plug placement and the gravity

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

The entry plug placement and the gravity

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Well,

We know that the entry plug goes inside the Eva's neck at some angle so while the Eva is standing the pilot inside is sitting in vertical position, facing the horizon. The connection seems to be stiff so does that mean that during the fight with Ramiel when Eva was lying, Shinji was facing the ground, being upside down?

It must be a helluva headache hanging upside down and seeing everything on screens turned the right way. Or maybe there's place for the entry plug to shift and change it's position?

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

Re: The entry plug placement and the gravity

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:14 pm

simon wrote:Or maybe there's place for the entry plug to shift and change it's position?

No, I'm pretty sure that the entry plug is embedded in the Eva's spine. So yeah, if your Eva is upside down, you're upside down.
Gamer_2k4

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Yeah pretty much as above. Ex: Asuka fighting the Harpies. Her hair and everything.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm fairly certain that the chair is tilted at the appropriate angle so you're "level" even when the tube is in the Eva
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:30 pm

V wrote:I'm fairly certain that the chair is tilted at the appropriate angle so you're "level" even when the tube is in the Eva

Maybe so, but as this scholarly diagram indicates, that doesn't change anything once you get inverted.
Gamer_2k4

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Gamer_2k4 wrote:
V wrote:I'm fairly certain that the chair is tilted at the appropriate angle so you're "level" even when the tube is in the Eva

Maybe so, but as this scholarly diagram indicates, that doesn't change anything once you get inverted.

Thus, when eva is upside down, so are you. Cameras should show one as upside down as well. I would need a pic to justify the argument of the cockpit display being as if the eva is rightside up when it is upside down(sorry if confusing)
MyAnimeList

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 am

Action_Bastard wrote:
Gamer_2k4 wrote:

Thus, when eva is upside down, so are you. Cameras should show one as upside down as well. I would need a pic to justify the argument of the cockpit display being as if the eva is rightside up when it is upside down(sorry if confusing)

The view on the screen is diverted as well. It must feel funny to 'know' you're upside down and see everything the right way.

btw. Nice drawing Gamer :smirk: To tell the truth I wanted to draw it myself using Paint but I failed epically. ;/

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 pm

"LCL is a magic wand"

remember, LCL will cushion their motion/posture, whatever position they are in; further, remember that they are pretty much strapped into the seat in such cases.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 pm

V wrote:"LCL is a magic wand"

remember, LCL will cushion their motion/posture, whatever position they are in; further, remember that they are pretty much strapped into the seat in such cases.

I was thinking the same thing, that the LCL acts as a cushion or restraint against changes in position due to gravity.

But when it comes to them being strapped in, I know Shinji is, but the females seem to be just sitting in them, not strapped down by anything.
MyAnimeList

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:But when it comes to them being strapped in, I know Shinji is, but the females seem to be just sitting in them, not strapped down by anything.

:asuka_geh:'s ego + :rei_meh:'s deathwish = seatbelts be damned!!

Anyway, the entry plug is fixed within the spine (and considering the background chatter during Yui's contact experiment, it goes into the core as well!) So yeah, upside-down is upside-down for the pilots too. I certainly can't remember any point where the pilots saw anything any other way. *Cue screenies to prove Zero wrong...*
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Have you considered that perhaps the seat 'bobsled' part can rotate around the cylinder to adjust for such issues?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 pm

They have, and the conclusion is that that does diddly squat for most orientations. For one, directly upsidown and rotated, and now you are on a slope with your head at the bottom. If the Eva is lying face down, then its no difference at all. Faceup on its back, and there's no difference at all.

See where this is going? It would be a stupid and wasteful function that does effectively nothing most of the time.
Last edited by Formless One on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Surely the plug is too narrow to allow for rotation of more than 30 degrees or so? I could be wrong, but I'm sure the bob-sled bit is way longer than the plug is wide, meaning that although that idea could help with shock-absorbance/minor rotation, I can't see it helping if your Eva is doing a headstand...

EDIT: Ignore me. I get what you mean now. Please accept the apologies of a tired idiot!
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Formless One wrote:They have, and the conclusion is that that does diddly squat for most orientations. For one, directly upsidown and rotated, and now you are on a slope with your head at the bottom. If the Eva is lying face down, then its no difference at all. Faceup on its back, and there's no difference at all.

Don't forget that the plug is at an angle to begin with, which actually helps the situation a bit.

Directly upside down? seat rotates so that you are still slopped head-downwards, but at lest not upside down and dangling.

Face down? seat rotates so that you are facing the opposite direction as the head but essentially in the same position as when standing upright.

Flat on back? Same as upside down with no rotation.

If they could get the seat portion to rotate around the anchor point of the 'sled' the same general body position could be maintained at any 90-degree orientation. This would limit possible positions to just a 90-degree arc between flat on back and standing upright.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:40 pm

this may be one of those times where they didnt feel like putting too much thought into making something realistic guys

the fact that the plug should go into the spine already makes no sense orientation wise because that would mean the pilot is normally facing straight down

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

^ WAT!?!
MyAnimeList

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:02 pm

what to what?

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Axell wrote:the fact that the plug should go into the spine already makes no sense orientation wise because that would mean the pilot is normally facing straight down
MyAnimeList

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 pm

I took some screen caps of the plug being inserted into the Eva, but couldn't upload them, they were too big.

Anyway, I think Axell is right. I mean, the plug was already facing downwards, except on a slight angle so it wouldn't face straight down. And because the pilot from the start was already sitting in the downwards position, whenever he/she would forward, it wouldn't be eye-level to the Eva.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Gydafud
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gydafud » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Couldn't the plug itself "spin" within the entry.. slot. So if the EVA is lying down on its front, inside you would be facing the ground. But if you roll the plug inside the EVA, you would be upright again?

I am confusing myself here...
"We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw. Does that sound fine?" - Mirror Ash

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”