That feeling you were left with after the end.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:36 pm

After I watched The End of Evangelion, I had a mental instability, and I still do... Especially after Rebirth [Air].

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 am

>.<

Another semi-dead to dead thread coming back to life, yay!

Let's see. The FIRST time I saw it I was totally like "WTF Mate?" Becuase it was the Japanese version... Though I did cry listening to "Komm, Susser Todd" for the first time. That was glorious fun.

Then the first time I saw the English version I think I curled into a ball for about two hours. That was a load of fun... I think atleast one of my friends was there, you know, keeping an eye on me making sure I didn't kill myself or nothing too crazy like that.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:28 pm

Oh boy i was suicidal after watching EoE for about 4 months. But Kaworu was in it so it helped my recovery.

Love always
Yuko-chan

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:48 pm

The first time I saw THE END OF EVANGELION was on VCD in a hotel room at AnimeExpo '97 with a few other people. The movie was still playing in Japan, and this was the kind of bootleg where someone had taken a camera into the theater; you could see people get up and there was a ghostly flicker that only added to the mood. It was subtitled in Chinese only, but I was with Japanese speakers. Although I don't think any of us said anything after a certain point.

I was astounded by the film, and still am. But, oddly enough, despite that this is supposed to be the "big action ending," as opposed to the "imaginary ending," it came off to me as the dream to the TV show's reality. It was like some kind of apocalyptic vision you're reading in the book of Revelation, except you realize that it's in a book and you're reading it. A few years later, Radiohead came out with the song, "How To Disappear Completely," which sort of sounds the way the movie made me feel.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Well I thought two things after the EoE.

1) This was the coolest and most beatiful ending I have ever seen

2) I almost cried because of all the characters that died and because I would never get to see what happens to Shinji and Asuka.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:04 am

rb_182_ wrote:Well I thought two things after the EoE.

1) This was the coolest and most beatiful ending I have ever seen

2) I almost cried because of all the characters that died and because I would never get to see what happens to Shinji and Asuka.

Heh...
I was just shaking intensely, unstoppably.
It was like, my mind was completely off, only subjected to The End of Evangelion.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:14 pm

"Whoa."
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:51 pm

Come to think of it I need to rewatch EoE. Haven't been thinking about Evangelion lately, but every time I drift away the movie always brings me back.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Archon Divinus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Divinus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:45 pm

The feeling I had throughout all of EoE was 'what the fuck', but when it ended, I was to shocked to even think that. I just sat there, mouth agape, feeling nothing. For the next little while (until I fell asleep), I kept think about the movie. I couldn't really remember any of the more abstract scenes (still can't. I've never watched EoE when when I wasn't desperatly tired), but I kept thinking about the mass-produced eva (which just felt wrong somehow) and the last scene, over and over again. The last scene was at the same time extremely poigant, and very empty, which doesn't make a lot of sense, but thats the best i can explain it.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:49 pm

1st time = MAJOR SHOCK VALUE :D
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:21 pm

Gratuitous bumpage - we have a bunch of newcomers who have't had chance to join in some of the classic threads...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:28 pm

I didnt join in it the first time so I'll post my reaction to watching EOE for the first time.

"..."

it was a mix of "whoa", sadness and wanting to scream "is that it?"

The film was excellent though, one of the only film to make me cry... three times.

Misatos Death, Komm Susser Todd and Asukas Death.

One of the most depressing things i've ever seen, yet i've watched it about 5 times. Everytime I still get the urge to scream "Is that it" though.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:37 pm

How I felt after End of Eva?

The ending line didn't seem to be as powerful as Eva's ending line should be. I mean, it's not exactly what you'd expect. After all the emotion and beauty, the discussion at the Sea of LCL, Shinji finally really meeting Yui, and all the other stuff... I dunno, 'ONE MORE FINAL: I need you' came out as a rather weird way to end the film. It was one of the weirdest scenes I've ever seen and it left me with a '...And?" feeling that sort of sticked.

But the movie itself did what it set out to do and did it very, very well. The music, the scenes, the emotion. It was all in place. I felt very pleased to have witnessed this wonderful film and sense it will at one point change th way I do some things.

Evangelion's endings never were good as endings as they never really ended the story, but they did well with closing the story. Anno conveyed the emotions he wanted us to feel.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:46 pm

There are no endings, because nothing ends, unless you want to get into uber-technicalities about Life, the Universe, and Everything that even I don't know about.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:16 am

Reichu wrote:There are no endings, because nothing ends, unless you want to get into uber-technicalities about Life, the Universe, and Everything that even I don't know about.

Moi wrote:Evangelion's endings never were good as endings as they never really ended the story, but they did well with closing the story.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:58 am

I just kinda stared at the screen for a few minutes, but I kinda feel left out cause that movie and the series, which i watched nonstop for an entire weekend when I got the perfect collection, just made me question a few of my beliefs and thats it. No wanting to commit suicide, no assuming the fetal position for hours, no nothing
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:50 pm

I laughed so hard I cried when everyone burst into melted butter.

Saw it at an animescreening, without having seen anything of the series first. Goddamn, did I ever ruin the experience for the rest of the crowd.

That was in 1999.
After getting into the series for real, the ending still is EXTREMELY heavy. I guess having it spoiled wasn't all that terrible.
As I first watched the entire saga this spring it was a very intriguing experience to me. Seeing how awfully jaded I've become to most artforms, one could never have guessed that Evangelion would actually succeed in pushing down my all time favourite story, FFVII, off it's pediestal. It's really that fucked-up awesome.

Currently pestering everyone around me to watch it with me, so I've gone through the entire thing four times already. For someone like me, that sure is saying something.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”