That feeling you were left with after the end.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

That feeling you were left with after the end.

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:57 pm

Right after you saw EoE for the first time and you mind tryed grasp the meaning of what happend, what feeling were you left with?

I don't mean the paralizing " what was that ? " that we all had but after that when you first looked for meaning that last sceen " I need you ".

For me it was Shinji was still a wimp Asuka was still afraid to need anyone, but being that they both came back they realized that life was worth the risk of pain and loss. Like Yui said was hope because they were alive so they had a chance, but every thing else they'd have work at.

Instrumentality forced them to face them selves. I hoped they learned form it, because they still needed to face each other, and the word if they wanted to move on.

Lastly and most strongly I hated Anno, because i know i'll never full get this show out of my brain. :lol:

Thats my first impression on the End of " End of Evangelion ". How about you people ?
Last edited by DatDude on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:06 pm

My first time watching The End of Evangelion was February 2002, at Katsucon. I was very excited, and I got to see it before its DVD release. There were about 200 people crammed into a tiny video room to see it, and everyone was just dead silent throughout the entire thing. Ok, so when we went from D&R to End of Eva, people had their heckles lined up for the second time through the masturbation scene. But other than that, it was just dead silent as everyone watched in awe. At that point, I was just like "could this day get any better?". I didn't enjoy it as much as I did after the second or third time through, but I was kind of expecting that.

In general, I was just dumbstruck, trying to let my brain process the whole thing.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:46 pm

EOE was the first thing Evangelion related. So I didnt know what the hell was going on. After it was over I sat there and the only thing i was thinking was What the #uck! After that I became addicted to any and all things Eva and due to this site I have been completly taken over.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:26 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:In general, I was just dumbstruck, trying to let my brain process the whole thing.

This pretty much describes my initial reaction. After I let it sink into my brain for a little while, I went to sleep. Then I rewatched it in the morning and it started to make a little more sense. Now I see the ending as a chance for hope.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:22 pm

I felt... nothing. And I had really, really enjoyed Eva (and the movie). Usually when I finish a good show (or a good book) I at least feel a bit of sorrow for it having ended; and if the show (or book) was good I usually feel what it's creator wanted me to feel. But after I saw End of Eva, zip. Nada. Hell, I feel more when I re-watch it (for about the 100th time) than when I first saw it! It's extremely puzzling.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:31 pm

I first saw End of Eva at a "premiere" screening held by the Brisbane Anime Society which was attended by about 500 people and constituted the first big screening of the newly released Black Box fansub of the movie (it was a fansub of the Genesis version of EoE IIRC). This was late 1998 I think, or maybe early 1999.

I remember going with some friends of mine, a few who had seen the series, a few who hadn’t. Afterwards, as we emerged out into the night, and started walking through the streets of Brisbane city singing what parts we could remember of ‘Komm, Suesser Tod’, I felt euphoric. My first natural reaction to the movie was one of joy and happiness. I don’t know if that feeling was a result of the actual message of the show, or just the power and experience of the whole thing, after that we all went out on the town and got very drunk (it’s what we Aussie’s do ^_^). I was 16 and it was one of those pivotal moments in my adolescence. I am still here after all ^^

I discussed Eva before I saw EoE, but afterwards, well… For a while, to paraphrase Anno himself, Eva became my life, my life itself.

I know I haven’t really answered your question here, sorry, I just felt like reminiscing. I’ve had a pretty hectic last couple of months, which I thought would have calmed down by now, but which have, if anything, got far more complicated.

Edit: In other words, life was so much simplier when Eva was all there was.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:51 pm

I seems you guys were about as shocked as I was, and eva will do that to you in general. Though I would redirect you to my original post

I don't mean the paralizing " what was that ? " that we all had but after that when you first looked for meaning that last sceen " I need you ".

I see now I was a bit foggy on what I was asking. I wanted to know what you though after shock wore off.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:11 am

Peace...

Does that sound wrong?

After the initial shock wore off, I was just struck by how RIGHT the ending was. I don't know why either.

I've speculated on EoE to no end afterward, but the first impression was just complete satisfaction with how the story ended, what was said, and how Shinji finally came to grips with the simple yet eternal human dillema.

It just sounds like such a strange thing to say in regard to that ending.
I just felt at peace. Completely satisfied.

This is weird...I'm going to go sit down and try and figure this out...
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:19 pm

The first time I saw EoE, I had never seen the actual series before, but I had seen Death and Rebirth, so I was, at the very least, somewhat familiar with the premise of the show and its characters. I just remember that when I saw D&R, I wanted to see the end really, really bad. So I asked my dad for EoE for my birthday (this was last year).

When I watched it, I was just... horrified. The real experience is a little foggy since it was so long ago, but I pretty much have the same feelings each time I see it. Honest to God, every time I watch it, I get a massive headache. It's not because I don't understand it, but I think it's just the overall intensity (emotionally and visually) that causes it. That's why I don't watch it that often. :P

Actually, one of the scariest parts isn't the movie, it's the main menu. I always want to cry when the main menu comes on. The music, and the little parts where Shinji screams, it's just really haunting. Just thinking about it right now makes me sad... blaaaah.
Close your eyes and listen hard

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:26 pm

i was somewhat disappointed that hyuga was black (at least his voice actor) but otherwise, it was extremely good...and enjoyable...and challenging my views on life itself...

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:44 pm

How the hell didnt you no?! The line that gave it away was "Damn! Havent they ever heard of morderation?!" from EoE.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:00 pm

:D OMG, I'm so glad some other people noticed that. While my friend Alex and I were watching it, we listened to Hyuga, and Alex was like, "Dude! That guy's black!" It was hilarious, because it was like they thought we wouldn't notice that Hyuga went from sounding white to sounding black. I liked his voice in the movies, though. It was cute. :P

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:54 pm

Ayanami wrote:Actually, one of the scariest parts isn't the movie, it's the main menu. I always want to cry when the main menu comes on. The music, and the little parts where Shinji screams, it's just really haunting. Just thinking about it right now makes me sad... blaaaah.

It was extremely well done. Made me fall in love with "Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude."

I can't say I was shocked after viewing EoE, I'm not easily affected by movies. The fact in itself that EoE affected me at all is quite an accomplishment. A small smile spread across my face after the final scene happened, it was such a perfect way to wrap everything up. The ambiguity, the undescribable atmosphere, and an end that tied in with the beginning (in two different senses.)
sadsadshinji wrote:i was somewhat disappointed that hyuga was black (at least his voice actor)

Dark FireStar wrote:How the hell didnt you no?! The line that gave it away was "Damn! Havent they ever heard of morderation?!" from EoE.

OMG RACiSTZ11!!!111
Ayanami wrote:OMG, I'm so glad some other people noticed that. While my friend Alex and I were watching it, we listened to Hyuga, and Alex was like, "Dude! That guy's black!" It was hilarious, because it was like they thought we wouldn't notice that Hyuga went from sounding white to sounding black. I liked his voice in the movies, though. It was cute.

zOMG D0Uble RAciztz!!!!111
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:11 pm

I remember the first time I saw EoE. It was a true mindfuck. I felt like I had been mentally violated in the worse kind of way. The rest of the day I spent in a half-stupor trying to figure out just what the hell I had seen. Was left with questions that didn't seem to have any canon answers.

For some reason though, when I watched the series all the way through episodes 1-26, no movies what so ever, it made sense. I had no questions, there didn't need to be answers. I didn't care. Everything seemed to fit. For that single perfect moment after finishing episode 26 I attained enlightenment, but only for a few mintues. I was at peace with the universe. I don't know why the series ending made me feel so good. Like philisophically good. It was strange. I had never felt that good, and never have since. Watching the last sequence as "perception" is explained to Shinji, hearing the instrumental of Cruel Angel Thesis, it just sent chills down my spine as I knew that everything was building up to some spectacular ending. And for me it did.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:26 pm

Phaze wrote:
Ayanami wrote:OMG, I'm so glad some other people noticed that. While my friend Alex and I were watching it, we listened to Hyuga, and Alex was like, "Dude! That guy's black!" It was hilarious, because it was like they thought we wouldn't notice that Hyuga went from sounding white to sounding black. I liked his voice in the movies, though. It was cute.

zOMG D0Uble RAciztz!!!!111

What... ? I'm just pointing out the obvious. o_o;

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:36 pm

Ayanami wrote:What... ? I'm just pointing out the obvious. o_o;

And I'm just hilighting the recent amount of chaos over being 100% politically correct. It's an overused topic for jokes, but I'm no comedian.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:05 pm

Phaze wrote:
Ayanami wrote:What... ? I'm just pointing out the obvious. o_o;

And I'm just hilighting the recent amount of chaos over being 100% politically correct. It's an overused topic for jokes, but I'm no comedian.

Ah, okay. I thought you were pissed because I sounded like a racist or something. x_x Never mind... carry on.

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:10 pm

The first time I watched End of Evangelion I felt that it ended on a note similar to The Catcher in the Rye.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 pm

Catcher in the Rye's ending actually said that everything was going to be alright. EoE didn't really make that part clear, in fact the death of every single human being kind of ruled out that little fact.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:14 pm

Dave wrote:Catcher in the Rye's ending actually said that everything was going to be alright. EoE didn't really make that part clear, in fact the death of every single human being kind of ruled out that little fact.

Not dead. Not to mention each individual still had the ability to come back to life.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”