Question about Asuka and Shinji

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:04 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The evidence suggests that he has somnophile tendencies.

I wouldn't say that unconsciousness turns him on so much as it allows him to indulge without being stymied by his crushing fear of rejection. He has the makings of a serial rapist though if he doesn't get that straightened out.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mackerni
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mackerni » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Ironfoot wrote:
TriLink12 wrote:I had sex with Asuka once.

Back when it actually meant something.

Brave soul. The word sex in the NGE universe is synonymous with the word pain, though I guess scratch marks and a strained neck aren't all that bad.

Yes, love is truly suffering.

LIGHTFIRELT
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LIGHTFIRELT » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Shiro wrote:Yes, they have. Matt Greenfield said Asuka was pregnant at the end of EoE, and that's what kimochi warui meant. So yes.

Bwahahaha, so Greenfield's word is law I assume then.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:08 pm

LIGHTFIRELT wrote:Bwahahaha, so Greenfield's word is law I assume then.

You're late to the party (post is >1yr old), and btw you missed the sarcasm. Please read thread.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:58 pm

you know...
im not one to believe Matt G.

but i "LIKE"
i just like
that theory of why Asuka said she was sick...and maybe the broken arm is a sign that Shinji did a surprisingly good job...(you know she likes it rough)

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:17 pm

That is just so wrong. Did you even watch EOE? And you do realize she also had a bandage over her eye, right?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Baz wrote:And you do realize she also had a bandage over her eye, right?

:lol:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Baz wrote:That is just so wrong. Did you even watch EOE? And you do realize she also had a bandage over her eye, right?

Shinji missed...

Asuka wrote: :asuka_sad:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 am

I shouldn't laugh at a "serious business" (discussion) topic, but these last few posts were hilarious. :lol:

Oji-chan wrote:The evidence suggests that he has somnophile tendencies.

I see what you did there. :grin: But to be honest, I think Shinji reacts the way he does both times when Asuka's asleep is because he not only doesn't know how to get on with people, but given Asuka's personality she'd probably just bit his head off if he'd actually try to get close to her emotionally or otherwise. Unless, her emotional barriers were down.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 am

As retaliation for Mr. Tines' "Shinji = somnophile" soundbyte, need I point out...

(1) Asuka sleepwalked into Shinji's bed the first time. (Oh dear.)

(2) After finding out that Shinji "uses her as food" ( :wink: ), she's more pissed off about how he was "keeping to himself" than anything else. (Oh deary dear.)

(Disclaimer: If all this stuff was covered before by the thread, I totally don't remember.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:53 am

This thread is one that is hard to take seriously. But for the sake of EGF, I'll give it a shot.

Asuka wants Shinji to be her boy-toy and nothing else. She wants him to be infatuated with her, and I agree with SSD that once he took initiative she would slap him silly. Another love letter to crush underfoot, so to speak.

It isn't until his one-month absence inside Shogouki that she realizes that her feelings go deeper than that (witness her "why are you there?" line in 22 when she sees him behind Kaji). And then the girl immediately admits defeat once she understands what's at stake. A basic refusal to compromise on her pride, combined with an inferiority complex.

Back to the main topic: I won't re-iterate the plethora of temporal, circumstantial, and psychological evidence against the A/S coitus. And anyway, my gut instinct is that these are good kids regardless of their faults, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Destinii Haruya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Destinii Haruya » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 am

I personally think that Shinji believed that Asuka loved him, when in fact she, by the end, hated him. As for Shinji/Asuka sex, it's pretty clear that she was a virgin up until the end. Her behavior towards sexual things makes it pretty clear.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:07 pm

What Baz said.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Destinii Haruya wrote:I personally think that Shinji believed that Asuka loved him, when in fact she, by the end, hated him. As for Shinji/Asuka sex, it's pretty clear that she was a virgin up until the end. Her behavior towards sexual things makes it pretty clear.

QFMFT
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 pm

I don't think Shinji ever believes Asuka has feelings for him other than anger and disgust. He responds to her every advance as if it's a trick... and usually it is.

He's basically just her practice guy so that she feels more confident dealing with Kaji. Any romantic interest on her part for him is likely born out of her one-sided rivalry with Rei, the frustration he creates by resisting her charms, and Asuka's own quiet desperation to justify to herself that she has value through external means.

Shinji obviously likes her in a physical sense and looks up to the person she pretends to be, but I don't think he really has any emotional attachment to Asuka that goes beyond the same 'please like me' he has towards literally everyone. Asuka is dead-on when she states in EoE that it isn't about her... she's just the one he's least afraid of, and Shinji will say anything if it gets him closer to not feeling alone by that point.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 pm

NemZ wrote:He responds to her every advance as if it's a trick.

Well Shinji's 100% correct on that point. If he had a bit more experience, though, he'd know how to turn the tables on her, either by dismissing her advances or by upping the ante.

Yeah, poor Shinji was probably just looking for a another friend. Even if he was interested in more than that, considering his age and his overall character, he was probably stuck in the fallacy that friendship needs to precede any romantic attachment.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Nemz wrote: Any romantic interest on her part for him is likely born out of her one-sided rivalry with Rei, the frustration he creates by resisting her charms, and Asuka's own quiet desperation to justify to herself that she has value through external means.

Uhh...

Asuka in Episode 22' wrote:What are YOU doing there?! You won't do anything! You won't help me! You won't even hold me!

Also, there's the EoE lip lick and her saying if she can't have all of him she wants nothing. Clearly she's interested in him romantically.

Destinii Haruya wrote:, when in fact she, by the end, hated him.

Then why upon returning from the LCL sea--after everything she went through with him through Instrumentality--did she lay by his side? Also, I don't think she'd tenderly caress his cheek when Shinji was attempting to kill her if she REALLY hated him at that point, instead, she'd fight back or react in a more typical manner. (Just because Asuka had those bandages on doesn't mean she was injured still.) I'd say she still has some mixed feelings.

Baz wrote:he was probably stuck in the fallacy that friendship needs to precede any romantic attachment.

Even with Shinji having friends, he still has his problems. The thing is he and the rest of the cast need to get their shit together before pursuing much of anything.

Also, EoE in the coffee scene, Shinji says to Asuka (although Manga screws up this translation): "I want to help you somehow. I want to be with you forever." That to me has romantic overtones instead of just wanting friendship from Asuka.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, EoE in the coffee scene, Shinji says to Asuka (although Manga screws up this translation): "I want to help you somehow. I want to be with you forever." That to me has romantic overtones instead of just wanting friendship from Asuka

His line here is oozing with insecurity and insincerity. He's trying the romantic angle out of desperation, he's ready to take any kind of acceptance he can get from Asuka at this point.

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Baz wrote:His line here is oozing with insecurity and insincerity. He's trying the romantic angle out of desperation, he's ready to take any kind of acceptance he can get from Asuka at this point.
No offense but itseems like you're in denial about their relationship i'll admit they're both trainwrecks and you have a point about Shinji doing anything too feel less lonely then he already does but he doesn't say stuff like that to anyone else not even Kaworu i don't see why he would be insincere at a time like that and i think the whole scene represented Shinji's fear of being rejected by Asuka still i see your point. :thumbsup:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, EoE in the coffee scene, Shinji says to Asuka (although Manga screws up this translation): "I want to help you somehow. I want to be with you forever." That to me has romantic overtones instead of just wanting friendship from Asuka.
I didn't know about that but it does sound more romantic then manga entertainment's translation, "I want to help you and i want to stay" they did the same thing too the final line, but the final line wouldn't have pleased everyone no matter what it was but "i feel sick" can mean something entirely different then "How Disgusting." :thumbsup:
Last edited by The Invincible Shinji on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Baz wrote:His line here is oozing with insecurity and insincerity. He's trying the romantic angle out of desperation, he's ready to take any kind of acceptance he can get from Asuka at this point.

Spot on, I'd say.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”