Shogouki in Magma Diver

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Jumpstart A. Cat
Embryo

Shogouki in Magma Diver

•      
  •      

Postby Jumpstart A. Cat » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Just rewatched some of NGE, including the episode Magma Diver and was reminded of something that bugged me the first time I watched it and never had explained.

Sandalphon rips Nigouki's coolant supply cables just before it disintegrates, the pressure and heat start crushed the D-Type equipment on Nigouki, then Shinji jumps in and rescues Asuka. How did he manage this? Nigouki was given the D-Type equipment, Shogouki wasn't, yet it doesn't appear it sustained any damage at all from jumping into the magma (you can see that none of it is being crushed from pressure or cooked or anything). Does anyone have an explanation?

Squiggy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Squiggy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:57 pm

A.T. Field maybe?
Don't like Eva?

What's the matter, too DEEP for you?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:01 pm

Plot armour.

Literally.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TemporalKnight
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TemporalKnight » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:36 pm

Maybe Nigouki just wasn't all that deep anymore. You know, close enough to the surface so that the armor wasn't needed because the pressure wasn't that high.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Plot armour.

Literally.

But, there's no signs of any extra armour, is there? I think it's probably just that Unit01 could go to that depth for a short amount of time.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:51 pm

There's no indication that EVA-01 got out "unscathed", I for one believe the armor probably melted a bit and needed to be replaced in some areas. 8)
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:51 pm

Quantum magic.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Semisubtle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Semisubtle » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Yeah, I'm sensing either a continuity error or a plot contrivance (most likely the latter). They had to save her SOMEHOW. XD

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:57 pm

... As I said, we don't see EVA-01 after the battle for the length of the episode, so we don't actually know if it was damaged or not. In otherwords, you could be claiming 'continuity error' where we are just left to fill in the blanks by ourselves. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:14 pm

Shinji's overwhelming will, thus generating some sort of shield (like A.T.) or his will just made the Eva...extremely durable.
I feel old

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:30 pm

My impression was Shinji jumped in as soon as he realized what was happening. Yui probably helped him out with her AT Field to protect him.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:36 pm

Yes, that was my second interpretation.
I feel old

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:23 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:Plot armour.

Literally.

But, there's no signs of any extra armour, is there?

He said PLOT armor, as in a plot device. Not literal armor.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:47 pm

We all know just how damn tough an Eva actually is, don't we? The fact is that Nigoki was approaching the surface where the pressure was much lower, so Eva-01 could jump in without serious enough danger to be destroyed.

Like Alaska Slim says, we don't know for sure if the Eva was damaged, or if any of the armor had to undergo replacement for the damage done. By that time, the real danger was having the line break and Asuka falling all the way into a region where the temperature and pressure would kill her.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:04 pm

... It took seven posts for anyone to acknowledge what I said... am I just a 'spirit' in an even more literal sense then I thought, with UA just being a bit more in-tune to that? 8)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Nothing, I'm just acknowledging a possibility.
The armor need not have been damaged at all, because both Evas are intact when Israfel goes boom under their feet and Eva-02 isn't even scratched by Matariel's acid. (And both are close to the surface anyway)
It could have been slightly damaged and repaired off-screen, or it could have been completely intact.
In any case, whether or not the armor was damaged is irrelevant.

Oh, and call me Ursus. 8)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 pm

We're talking about robot/humans that can survive direct nuclear-like blasts and you're wondering how they can survive a little magma? Mother/Son Uber-ATF FTW!
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:... It took seven posts for anyone to acknowledge what I said... am I just a 'spirit' in an even more literal sense then I thought, with UA just being a bit more in-tune to that? 8)

lol, UA... that's the abbreviation for Urinalysis. :D
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:16 pm

This offtopic quip was brought to you by Brik, if you ever need a medical joke he's your man!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:08 am

Magma Diver makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's by far my most hated episode in the entire series. There's no way the "D-type" equipment could shield the EVA from lava, let alone the support cables themselves withstanding the lava, let alone Unit 01 diving into the lava without any armor whatsoever to save Asuka, which defeats the purpose of the D-type equipment itself.

My suggestion is, if something doesn't make any sense in this episode, forget about it. NOTHING in this episode makes any sense.

If there's any episode I want dropped from rebuild, it's this one.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”