Private Parts in EoE !

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Private Parts in EoE !

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:24 pm

Well, first i have to tell you that i have a very low quality ogm version of EoE, so only now i noticed this stuff.

I watched a better version and i found this weird thing:
Am i crazy, or is that a... :?

And in this scene also:

Am i the last person to notice this? :roll:
PLEASE TELL ME !!! :?
*insert cool signature here*

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:28 pm

Well...I never REALLY thought of it....but yea...your got something alright.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:36 pm

It does resemble female genetalia, and I would say you're either blind or innocent if you don't see it.

Why?

1) To fuck with your head.
2) Penetration.

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:53 pm

Also the souls of the Lillim seem to form a vague-looking phallic-symbol that drains into the vaginal slits in the hands of Lillith in one scene right before the Tree of Life containing Unit 01 with Shinji falls through the vaginal slit in her forehead.

The symbolism is pretty obvious. The souls of the Lillim are like sperm that fill and impregnate Lillith. It's very much a return to the womb similar to the return to the womb that Shinji and Asuka experience when they are inside their Evas, because of course the soul of their mothers are inside the cores of their Evas. Evangelion has quite a lot of maternal symbolism.

Remember in episode 14, Rei's Poem, when Rei describes herself as a woman who does not bleed? That means she's sterile. In my opinion the blood that spurts from her jugular and scars the moon symbolizes the gift of fertility that has been given to her by her merging with her other half. The moon is normally barren and desolate, like Rei was before she returned to Lillith, but then it is scarred with blood, the fluid of life. Of course the moon is always associated with the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, change, and mystery. Just refer to Yoshitoshi ABe's masterpiece Haibane Renmei for another example of the full moon being used as symbolism in anime.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:12 pm

Never made that connection until now. *Opens mouth* Uh... *Closes mouth* Hm...
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:06 am

Wow Gilgamesh!

While I noticed the Vagina like opening the second time I watched the movie (the first time I was just to freaked out to note a lot of details) I didn't make that Rei/fertility or lack therof connection until now.

If you'll pardon me, I need to go back and watch the series and movies again to solidify it in my mind.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:51 am

i never assumed that it was supposed to be genitalia...then again, i have only seen it 3 times...
and i agree with gilgamesh's hypothesis/interpretation... and it makes sense the way he says it...
which reminds me of when an artist came to our school and showed us all the plates she made...of femal genitals colored like flowers...it was weird...

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:15 am

This i noticed on my first watching of the movie. My thoughs are ether the penatration bit already suggested or Anno was >bad pun alert< screwing with use >drum beat<
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:05 pm

That's not the only time we see that in Evangelion. Check out the shape of Unit-01's eye in Ep. 2.

Also, the shape of NERV headquarters is rather suggestive.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:57 pm

And I'm sure everybody caught the suggestive shape of the playground young Shinji is in during third impact in EOE.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:04 pm

I don't feel your examples are suggestive in the least, thewayneiac. Those just look like normal designs to me, and any resemblence to genetalia is merely the working of teenage minds. The movie, however, is a totally different story.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:And I'm sure everybody caught the suggestive shape of the playground young Shinji is in during third impact in EOE.

Yup. Apparently that was intended. One of the many *fascinating* things I learned from watching with commentary. Along with the symmetrical aspect, many things suggest femininity. The "hills" in the background are meant to look like breasts, and then some other stuff... can't remember it off the top of my head.

Also, just randomly... if you actually take a look at Rei in that picture, her eyes are fucking SCARY. She looks all sinister and googly-eyed.
Close your eyes and listen hard

TheUserName
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheUserName » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:41 pm

In EOE, where we see the scenario where Shinji is building the sand castle in the playground, accompanied by the two dolls, there is some very suggestive imagery present. I can't provide screencaps, but If you remember back, there were two hills side by side one another, both in the shape of breasts. The sandpit that Shinji is playing in, some way directly below these two hills, is similar to the shape of the NERV Headquaters(vagina shaped).
'I'm going to hunt down the people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand. Then i'll bop them with my cardboard tube'. - Dogbert.
Zims Ses-pit of Ultimate Evil!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:42 pm

(thought) no wonder i always got turned on on that part(end thought)

Damn! Never thought of that?! I always knew it ment something! That Anno has to be a freaking genuis. I bet 20 years from now there will be people still finding stuff on this show?!
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:22 pm

TheUserName wrote:In EOE, where we see the scenario where Shinji is building the sand castle in the playground, accompanied by the two dolls, there is some very suggestive imagery present. I can't provide screencaps, but If you remember back, there were two hills side by side one another, both in the shape of breasts. The sandpit that Shinji is playing in, some way directly below these two hills, is similar to the shape of the NERV Headquaters(vagina shaped).

What does that scene mean, exactly? That's one of the few things that I can't really piece together at all. I have an idea, but it seems silly and I'd like to know what others think first.

Why does that swing stop going back and forth when Shinji starts destroying the pyramid? And does the pyramid have anything to do with the pyramid structure in the NERV Headquarters? The view shifts to a large metal framework building or something of that nature and there seems to be a person at the top. After a minute or two, he/she walks away. What does it all mean?
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:50 pm

I never noticed that. You people will be the end of me>lol
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:54 pm

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Dave wrote:I don't feel your examples are suggestive in the least, thewayneiac. Those just look like normal designs to me, and any resemblence to genetalia is merely the working of teenage minds. The movie, however, is a totally different story.

Nerv headquarters is just a probable sighting, but I stand by it; the eye socket is way obvious.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:01 pm

well...there was that thing in the davinci code about masculine and femenine being the triangles...so that could be why...
and they eye...it was weird..
i think the person leaving is Shinji...him observing himself...

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:15 pm

The eye just looks like a slit to me. Remember, Unit 01 formed that eye on the spot, and it had to break free of the skin somehow. I don't see any significant resemblence to female genetalia.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”