the Cars of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

the Cars of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:43 pm

what cars are featured in the show? what car does Misato drive?

In the manga, Kaji drives a Lotus Elan 1600 convertible from about 1964, a car owned by Sadamoto and driven by Emma Peel in the original British Avengers show.
Kaji's Lotus features a Royal Air Force decal under the side mirror, and it's also the same car he's been driving since he and Misato originally dated (check Vol. 5's table of contents picture)

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:11 pm

The blue one is a a customised Alpine Renault A310. Apparently Misato drives this car becuase Sadamoto's inspiration for the Misato character came from Fujiko (a character from Lupin the 3rd), who drove an Alpine Renault A110 in the 1st episode of the TV series.

I say "customised" becuase all the '81 Renault Alpine A310's (except one) were originally a manual (clutch-type) with left-hand-drive. So Misato must have done some extensive modifications to make it into a clutchless auto with right-hand-drive.

Oh and the one in the picture above her desk is an Alpine A110 in rally Monte-Carlo trim not an A310 like she drives.

The red one is a Ferrari 328. Apparently Anno wanted a red car, I have no idea why.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:49 pm

wow! exactly the answer i was looking for. what's your source of information for the Fujiko inspiration?

i know that Sadamoto drives the Elan from this long talk on the Gainax official page where he talks cars:
http://www.gainax.co.jp/special/sada_ot ... dex-e.html

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:59 pm

I just love Misato's Alpine. It's so cool XD

I also noticed that she also has a 71' Alpine A131 Euro Hill Climber poster in her room.

Sadamoto is a big car fan. You can see that in Der Mond ;)
http://max3000.deviantart.com

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:03 pm

max3000 wrote:I also noticed that she also has a 71' Alpine A131 Euro Hill Climber poster in her room.

Yeah, and it's so weird that it's a live action photograph poster. Remainded me to South Park.
*insert cool signature here*

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:16 pm

In Girlfriend Of Steel, when those secret agents were chasing Misato in the van, they drove the coolest car ever, a 76'(?) Nissan Skyline! A black one with Hayashira flares!! w00t
Last edited by max3000 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:24 pm

Otaprince wrote:wow! exactly the answer i was looking for. what's your source of information for the Fujiko inspiration?

Sadamoto mentions it in the interview he gives on Genesis 0:0.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:22 pm

All this talk about the awsome cars of the series has got me thinking.

We really only see Misato's car in the series, plus Kaji's car in the manga, but all the other, driving aged characters don't seem to have any wheels.

In episode 11 (I think) you see Maya, Kitsuko, Hyuga and Fuyutsuki taking the subway.

In a couple of episodes, we see Ritsuko catching a ride off of Misato.

But the question remains, how is everybody getting around? Public transport? Carpooling? :lol:

I could just imagine a Kozo/Ritsuko/Gendo carpool.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:16 am

mostly public transportation i would think, isnt fuyutski picked up by Kaji on a subway?
the nerv system of transportation is very complex yet serves all the needs, with the escalators and elevators going everywhere, as well as the subways leading to the base.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:22 am

We are talking Tokyo. Since everybody mentioned work at NERV, no comute to work, they just get on the bus or train, and their there.

If public transportation was easey affordable and reliable, as I HOPE it is in 2015, you don't really need a car.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:47 am

Kiel wrote:
I could just imagine a Kozo/Ritsuko/Gendo carpool.

Tee-hee...

Gendou: Pull over, Ritsuko! I want to stop at the Dunkin' Donuts!

Ritsuko: No! We're going to be late for work!

Fuyutsuki: I want a Coolatta.

Ritsuko: Fine. While you're at it, Gendou, get me a bagel.

Gendou: *Pouts* Why do I have to do everything around here?
Close your eyes and listen hard

Invincible Kaji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Invincible Kaji » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:47 pm

It seems to me that Gendo just uses a helicopter to go everywhere.
Penguins aim for me.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:08 pm

MDWigs wrote:The blue one is a a customised Alpine Renault A310. Apparently Misato drives this car becuase Sadamoto's inspiration for the Misato character came from Fujiko (a character from Lupin the 3rd), who drove an Alpine Renault A110 in the 1st episode of the TV series.

I say "customised" becuase all the '81 Renault Alpine A310's (except one) were originally a manual (clutch-type) with left-hand-drive. So Misato must have done some extensive modifications to make it into a clutchless auto with right-hand-drive.

I know it's true that Fujiko was an inspiration for Misato. But is it really a 1981 model? The reason I ask is that the first episode of the original LUPIN III TV series aired in 1971 (the one that's been on the Cartoon Network is the second LUPIN series, which aired 1977-80).

Just like Sadamoto, the original animation director of LUPIN (and longtime partner with Hayao Miyazaki), Yasuo Ohtsuka, is a car nut, and put a lot of cool and funky vehicles into the series--that's why Lupin drives *both* a little Fiat 500 and a Mercedes SSK long-bodied saloon.

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:33 pm

Carl Horn:

I know it's true that Fujiko was an inspiration for Misato. But is it really a 1981 model? The reason I ask is that the first episode of the original LUPIN III TV series aired in 1971 (the one that's been on the Cartoon Network is the second LUPIN series, which aired 1977-80).

I think you've misunderstood me. Fujiko drives the Alpine-Renault A110 (the first of which came out in 1963) in the first Lupin III TV series. Misato drives an '81 Alpine Renault A310 in Evangelion.

Just like Sadamoto, the original animation director of LUPIN (and longtime partner with Hayao Miyazaki), Yasuo Ohtsuka, is a car nut, and put a lot of cool and funky vehicles into the series--that's why Lupin drives *both* a little Fiat 500 and a Mercedes SSK long-bodied saloon.

Yeah I remember reading that Ohtsuka owned a Fiat 500 and that the Citroen 2CV Clarisse drives in Castle of Cagliostro was Miyazaki's first car. Gotta love car nuts.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:05 pm

you guys probably know this, but for everyone else, the interview i posted further up is BETWEEN Sadamoto and Otsuka!

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:52 pm

Otaprince wrote:you guys probably know this, but for everyone else, the interview i posted further up is BETWEEN Sadamoto and Otsuka!

Otsuka: What hobbies does Anno have?

Sadamoto: Hobbies? Well...collecting laserdiscs, I suppose. Clearly a grown-up's hobby.

Otsuka: No interest in cars?

Sadamoto: Not in the least. There's no one at GAINAX who likes cars anymore.

Nakayama: But there's people who drive Jaguars and such, aren't there?

Sadamoto: People who drive new Jaguars, Mercedes Benzes, or Porsches are more likely to be brand-conscious than they are to like cars.

In 1998, which I think was not too long after this conversation, Hiroyuki Yamaga was driving a NSX, in some sort of anime-chara color unknown in nature...it was a kind of teal (remember the argument about car brands Kubo's friends had in OTAKU NO VIDEO)

This is a great conversation, isn't it? It's interesting that Sadamoto restores cars as well as collects them--I picture him as your classic Miyazaki boy mechanic, or perhaps Jean from NADIA, busy with his blowtorch and wrench.

Mr. Ohtsuka is a really, really nice guy, in addition to being one of the most important artists in the history of anime. He speaks English well, and the first time I went to Japan when I was sixteen, he gave me an hour-long interview for ANIMAG magazine, even though I was just, well, an otaku. Needless to say, he was a tremendous encouragement to me. At the time (1987) I told him I dreamed of LUPIN III being on U.S. TV, but neither one of us felt too likely it would happen. Now I think of him whenever I see it on Adult Swim.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:48 am

Mr. Horn--

in the course of editing the Eva manga, did you ever meet with Sadamoto himself? how did he strike you? I would guess that the way he portrays Shinji is indicative of his own personality: cooler, more confident, less of an enigma than Anno (and Anno's Shinji!).

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:44 pm

Otaprince wrote:Mr. Horn--

in the course of editing the Eva manga, did you ever meet with Sadamoto himself? how did he strike you? I would guess that the way he portrays Shinji is indicative of his own personality: cooler, more confident, less of an enigma than Anno (and Anno's Shinji!).

Well, the only time I ever met Sadamoto-san personally was at Fanimecon 2003. He did seem self-assured, but in a quiet way.

However, this was the first (and thus far only) time he had been to the con, whereas his associates in Gainax had been coming since 1997. That meant everyone was somewhat reluctant to push him too much into conversation--in other words, not freak him out ;-)

In my particular case, it was the editor of the English edition of the manga meeting the original artist for the first time, so I particularly wanted to take it easy and not badger him with too many questions or requests. Thus I probably also didn't get to know him as well as I might have under other circumstances.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”