Was Seele aware of the angel threat after 2I?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Was Seele aware of the angel threat after 2I?

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:17 pm

Did Seele know that Sachiel - Tabris would rise to challenge humanity? The only reason I doubt this is because of the chinese guy's line to Gendou on board the airplane in episode 7. The line is : "Yes, they use to think there were no more angels." This obviously implies that Seele was aware of Adam and Lilith sometime before Sachiel arrived, but did they know about the others? I assume the dead sea scrolls would mention them, but perhaps they did not recover the dead sea scrolls until after Sachiel's attack? I have a possible answer to my own question, but I don't like it. Therefore, I would like to see if anyone else can come up with a good explanation.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:22 pm

they knew everything about the angels fron the dead sea scrolls
except a few details like tabris and leilel
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: Was Seele aware of the angel threat after 2I?

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Three questions in 1 minute, did you just have some sort of epiphany?

Dave wrote:Did Seele know that Sachiel - Tabris would rise to challenge humanity? The only reason I doubt this is because of the chinese guy's line to Gendou on board the airplane in episode 7. The line is : "Yes, they use to think there were no more angels." This obviously implies that Seele was aware of Adam and Lilith sometime before Sachiel arrived, but did they know about the others? I assume the dead sea scrolls would mention them, but perhaps they did not recover the dead sea scrolls until after Sachiel's attack? I have a possible answer to my own question, but I don't like it. Therefore, I would like to see if anyone else can come up with a good explanation.

The man did not specifically state when "they used to" was, so it could have been any time between before Eva's prodution, to during Sachiel's attack, most likely, from finding the Dead Sea Scrolls. Why don't you like your answer?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:27 pm

When they found the Dead Sea Scrolls, they knew. Maybe a few of them were skeptical for awhile, but that changed.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:30 pm

So when exactly did they find the dead sea scrolls?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:37 pm

some time before the Second Impact i think, not sure though
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:40 pm

If they found the dead sea scrolls 'somtime before second impact', why would they ever believe there were no more angels? I was under the impression that that chinese dude was referring to their beliefs before Sachiel attacked.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:44 pm

Keep this in mind: The Evas would never have been created if SEELE hadn't known that the angels were still a threat to their plans. True, the Evas were a staple to Third Impact, but there were still other ways that SEELE could have achieved their goals. Without Eva.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:47 pm

Excellent point Phaze. However, that only makes that line even less comprehensible. Somebody, help us!

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Phaze wrote:Keep this in mind: The Evas would never have been created if SEELE hadn't known that the angels were still a threat to their plans. True, the Evas were a staple to Third Impact, but there were still other ways that SEELE could have achieved their goals. Without Eva.

yes, with lilth and adam joining as one. the eva's would just help control the third impact, they have nothing to do with the process of it other than that

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:12 am

Is it possible that the "they" the Chinese man was referring to refers to people who are not in cahoots with what is written in the Dead Sea Scrolls? It's actually possible that "they" isn't even mentioned at all in his statement, and it's just a generalized, "It's been said..." with no specification as to by whom, but I'm too lazy to check the line at the moment.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:47 pm

He was referring to 'the commitee'.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:20 pm

Dave wrote:He was referring to 'the commitee'.

The Committee apparently aren't the same thing as Seele itself (despite the fact that some of the committeemen are part of Seele). See scene 2 of the episode #02 commentary (in my sig) for more about this.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:48 pm

perhaps they were refering to others? like the other nations that had participated in the building?

feliwood
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby feliwood » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:18 pm

I'm confused- are you saying that seele didn't know about Tabris/Kawrou? What about the deleted seen where he is talking to the monoliths and Misato sees him, or the line 'god help us, seele has sent us an angel'. I was under the impression that seele and kawrou were in cahoots.
Only a complete and utter braggart, someone entirely obsessed with himself, would make a sig out of his own quote- feliwood

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:42 pm

seele were the ones that sent him to nerv

aranami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:48 pm

What about the U.N.? Nerv was funded by them so they had to know something about what they were paying for.
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:53 pm

all they knew is what lies Gendo fabricated for them, which he is very proficient at

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:17 pm

i am pretty sure they knew that the angels were coming (the 11th...it is too early, it is not as it was prophesized, etc...) and probably got the information from the dead sea scrolls. the chinese dude was probably referring to some other group aside from seele... as they obviously knew that the angels' coming was prophesized...

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:08 pm

the angels coming was in the dead sea scrolls. Seele interpreted them and had Gehirn and then NERV formed to defend against the angels and eventually initiate human instrumentality a.k.a. third impact

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”