Anno ACTUALLY DEFINITIVELY EXPLAINED "I Need You"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:00 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:bunch o' suckers
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 pm

I don't like where this thread is going! It's headed for a very, verrrry bad place called religion in NGE.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:29 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:I don't like where this thread is going! It's headed for a very, verrrry bad place called religion in NGE.

I think any thread where I agree both with Shin and AeF should be locked as a matter of principle. . .
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:23 pm

I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Doctor Memory
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Doctor Memory » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:21 am

Ahoy!
I thought it'd be appropriate to dig this out.

Sometimes Pointless Religious Symbolismâ„¢ is just pointless religious symbolism. I agree that Anno probably invented this explaination to make the rabid otaku go away. Even assuming the Eden metaphor is just a metaphor, the only element of this theory that makes sense is the notion of a causal relationship between Shinji seeing Rei and Shinji choking Asuka. Given how the scene is structured, it's hard to deny. But anything beyond that is fluff.

Even so... It's better than my pet theory.
(Don't) Excuse Me UhClem, But You're (Not) Making the Doctor (Un)Happy.

Sandoz
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Sandoz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:02 am

Doctor Memory wrote:Ahoy!
I agree that Anno probably invented this explaination to make the rabid otaku go away.

I sincerely doubt he ever said anything like this. It's like the bogus "Barons of Hell" theory. It's one of those false bits of information that circulate without a source other than "some interview" or "I read it somewhere."

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:03 am

aaaa my old sig image came back to visit ! I miss you baby!
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 am

I seriously call shenanigans on this. I always hated the Adam and Eve ending idea, I've always been big on the "if you have the will to live" theory... I agree that Anno was probably screwing with their heads or just lying because he was fed up with stupid questions. I like the religious aspects of Evangelion to an extent, don't get me wrong, but when it goes so far as Shinji = Adam, Asuka = Lilith, Rei = better sex, well... I just lose respect for it.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:43 am

Somebody shoot that stoned ape before he drools on anyone.

Sandoz wrote:I sincerely doubt he ever said anything like this. It's like the bogus "Barons of Hell" theory. It's one of those false bits of information that circulate without a source other than "some interview" or "I read it somewhere."

Quoted for monkeyhumping truth. Seriously, guys, I very much doubt Anno ever said any such thing.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:54 am

Actually this doesn't directly contradict what we know about eva.

If Anno said Rei=eve, I don't think he meant this in a literal sense but in a more symbolic way. What I mean by that would be that her final role in the show would fit with the mythology of EVE even if Rei literally was not eve herself.

Also where in that quote does Anno say that there is no chance of anyone else returning?

But as you all said this may very well just be an elaborate hoax so we can't say for sure about any of this.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 am

Apathetic Piggy wrote:I can't wait until I'm on my anniversary with my wife in 20-some odd years and she asks "do you love me, dear?" and I'll be retarded enough to reply with "do I, or did I simply marry you for the financial benefits and the occasional sex? One can never be sure."

Y helo thar, fellow skeptic! (Shakes hand)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 am

Defectron wrote:Also where in that quote does Anno say that there is no chance of anyone else returning?

I don't think it was ever stated, but was implied. What's the point in using a motif that ONLY clinches on Asuka and Shinji getting along badly and Rei being part Yui which is "sort" of like Adam's rib?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:23 pm

^ what he said ^

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Sandoz wrote:
Doctor Memory wrote:Ahoy!
I agree that Anno probably invented this explaination to make the rabid otaku go away.

I sincerely doubt he ever said anything like this. It's like the bogus "Barons of Hell" theory. ."

Barons of Hell?
I won.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Themaninblack wrote:Barons of Hell?

http://www.evageeks.org/FGP/List_of_Common_Misconceptions#.22Barons_of_Hell.22

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:28 pm

My current partner in crime ;), Brik-kun wrote:With all this Adam and Eve talk, Stardust-chan is going to throw a fit.

.....Am I that bad with ranting about this subject? :? I iz confused and can't recall previous reactions except for one when Rei-chan PMed me to tone my response down.

Anyway, I find this to be bullshit for several reasons: 1) Why would Anno actually give his viewpoint of the Final Scene when he factually said (see full quote on MD Wigs'-sama site http://mdwigs.tk) "Evangelion is like a puzzle....We all have to find our own answers." 2) People "ain't" dead, they're just in separate forms of LCL and can return if they want to. 3) For that matter, why would Anno bring up Pointless Religion Symbolism to begin with? The infamous Adam and Eve silliness is OUT, the moment anybody else returns! 4) (Bookend) Rei 3 aka Lilith's current form may or may not be there in spiritual form only, seeing as Lilith (GNR) physically died.

Oh, and can somebody PLEASE explain to me why the Cardass explanation of Shinji "confirming his existence" is BS? Nobody ever explained to me WHY it's not true so I'm at a loss here. Is it because of the fact Shinji was there for awhile before Asuka returned, so there isn't really anything for him to confirm? Or does it go against the Passage of Time fact/Asuka only just returned in some other way?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:41 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Oh, and can somebody PLEASE explain to me why the Cardass explanation of Shinji "confirming his existence" is BS?

The sudden escalation to lethal force, rather than poking, prodding, slapping or similar low-intensity attempts to get the bad reaction he was after. At the very least, the explanation leaves out the fact that he was many sandwiches short of a picnic, and would be likely to remain that way without professional care and attention.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Though I no longer find the "official statement" in question reliable, I will issue a retraction. When I said it means "everyone but Shinji, Rei and Asuka is dead", I meant "no longer in physical form".

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:54 pm

Stardust-chan wrote:
Stardust-chan's current partner in crime ;), Brik-kun wrote:With all this Adam and Eve talk, Stardust-chan is going to throw a fit.

.....Am I that bad with ranting about this subject? :? I iz confused and can't recall previous reactions except for one when Rei-chan PMed me to tone my response down.
<snip>
Yes, you are that bad. And you should be ASHAMED of yourself, you bigot YOU!! /kidding Stardust-chan! :mrgreen:

perfected_sound
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby perfected_sound » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:04 am

Total Bullshit wrote:however Shinji and Rei were loved, although they never got it to express freely (Well, Rei says in "The end of Evangelion"). Then Shinji must kill and kick Asuka from the "paradise" so tha Rei can enter, who waits for the expulsion of Lilith.

Simply Rei/Shinji shipping.
Remember that you will die. -persona3

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”