Anno ACTUALLY DEFINITIVELY EXPLAINED "I Need You"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:02 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:Well, even so, he leaves the end up to the fans. So what if Shinji and Asuka are Adam and Lilith, leaving Rei as Eve? That doesn't mean he's going to expel Asuka from "paradise" for Rei. You can still go into your fluffy fanfiction world of Shinji/Asuka all you want. All it does is give you Shinji's motive for trying to kill Asuka, it still leaves the end up to the viewer.

Also, it could be that Anno's lying. Hell, I would be at that point too. Everyone keeps asking him to explain things, maybe he's just so fed up with the otaku that he's lying to them to keep them in a loop. Out of spite, he racks your brain with inconclusive information and other crap to keep you up at night. He's ruining your brain for his amusement. In a few years, he's going to spin another tale for some poor bastard and we'll be back here debating it.

Are they really Adam and Lilith or was Anno fucking with the fans? Who can say? But this doesn't really change much. It's like when your neighbor kills someone and then you find out their motives. Does it change much? No, you just get to see it in a new light.

QFT.

Oh and Shin Seiki- yeah, I read that a few years back as well, now that I think about it. Sounded like BS back then, too.

But still, you never know...

I think it's BS, but at the same time, I'll keep an open mind towards it.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Shin-seiki wrote: Considering how a: it comes from "some Spanish website" (according to Achtungaffen, most Spanish Eva sites are notoriously unreliable)

Indeed, but let's just say for arguments sake that Anno really did give this explanation. Why, in gods name, would he reveal the answer to the most debated question surrounding Eva to a bunch of Nerdy Otaku, especially when he's been sooo reluctant to give any such explanation in the past?

Sorry NAveryW, but this reeks of fanwank.

Damn, this thread got big QUICK
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:08 pm

chee wrote:
Apathetic Piggy wrote:Well, even so, he leaves the end up to the fans. So what if Shinji and Asuka are Adam and Lilith, leaving Rei as Eve? That doesn't mean he's going to expel Asuka from "paradise" for Rei. You can still go into your fluffy fanfiction world of Shinji/Asuka all you want. All it does is give you Shinji's motive for trying to kill Asuka, it still leaves the end up to the viewer.

Also, it could be that Anno's lying. Hell, I would be at that point too. Everyone keeps asking him to explain things, maybe he's just so fed up with the otaku that he's lying to them to keep them in a loop. Out of spite, he racks your brain with inconclusive information and other crap to keep you up at night. He's ruining your brain for his amusement. In a few years, he's going to spin another tale for some poor bastard and we'll be back here debating it.

Are they really Adam and Lilith or was Anno fucking with the fans? Who can say? But this doesn't really change much. It's like when your neighbor kills someone and then you find out their motives. Does it change much? No, you just get to see it in a new light.

QFT.

Oh and Shin Seiki- yeah, I read that a few years back as well, now that I think about it. Sounded like BS back then, too.

But still, you never know...

I think it's BS, but at the same time, I'll keep an open mind towards it.

Well let's be brutally honest. The worst part about the end of EoE is that Anno basically has the fans around his finger. He can lie to us and we simply have to accept it as fact. I'm sure if I had that kind of power, I'd play with it a bit if only for my amusement. Just wait for Rebuild to conclude, and we'll probably have something new to whine over and a million more Anno statements.

"Well, you see, Penpen was God, Shinji became Adam, Asuka was Lilith, and Rei was Eve. That makes me Jesus. It makes you my disciples. Now, buy the DVDs and loads of merch so I can lie to you in 5 years, make you debate information on your pitiful message boards while seven new AU stories are released in manga or novel form, and reboot the series later on in such a way that you still have more questions after you've finished it then when you began.

But it's because I love you, my fans."

I wouldn't be surprised.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:09 pm

Yeah, the real problem with this is that you have to assume the translation is accurate, then you have to assume the translated source itself is true, then you need to assume Anno was telling the truth. The second one is the biggest conjecture to put faith in, in my opinion.

Oh, and I meant TriLink12's signature.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:10 pm

Apathetic Piggy for WIN!!!! :idea:

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:Well let's be brutally honest. The worst part about the end of EoE is that Anno basically has the fans around his finger. He can lie to us and we simply have to accept it as fact. I'm sure if I had that kind of power, I'd play with it a bit if only for my amusement. Just wait for Rebuild to conclude, and we'll probably have something new to whine over and a million more Anno statements.

"Well, you see, Penpen was God, Shinji became Adam, Asuka was Lilith, and Rei was Eve. That makes me Jesus. It makes you my disciples. Now, buy the DVDs and loads of merch so I can lie to you in 5 years, make you debate information on your pitiful message boards while seven new AU stories are released in manga or novel form, and reboot the series later on in such a way that you still have more questions after you've finished it then when you began.

But it's because I love you, my fans."

I wouldn't be surprised.

As I implied in another thread, Anno is a diabolical genius.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:19 pm

chee wrote:
As I implied in another thread, Anno is a diabolical genius.

That's moot. When it comes right down to it, he could have just been lucky and when someone asked him something, he just pulled some crazy answer out of his ass.

"So what you're saying is that Shinji had the power of God, yet rejected it because he knew of it and didn't want to live a wonderful lie but a horrible reality because running away hurt more than confronting pain?!"

"Sure... that's exactly what I was saying."

Also, don't forget he's only the main man behind this monster of a series. There were others with great input. For all we know, he got a good deal of these ideas while out drinking and just wrote them on a bar napkin. I do some writing in my off time (comic strips for a project) and I find my favorite ones are those I don't remember writing. It's like Alice in Wonderland. Everyone thinks it's some crazy out-of-this-world drug-trip and creepy when really, it could just be something three guys put together as a joke while drinking.

Genius comes from the funnest and darkest corners of the mind.

But yes, genius or otherwise and however he got to where he is, Anno's great at what he does: fucking with the fans.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Fair enough.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:28 pm

chee wrote:Fair enough.

Yeah, don't take much I say to heart. I've basically been devil's advocate wherever I've gone for so long, it's almost a second nature. I see a point and I have to present the opposing one. I can't wait until I'm on my anniversary with my wife in 20-some odd years and she asks "do you love me, dear?" and I'll be retarded enough to reply with "do I, or did I simply marry you for the financial benefits and the occasional sex? One can never be sure."

Anyway, back on topic: my long walls of text in a nutshell are basically "Anno's fucking with you and this information, if valid, changes little if anything at all."

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:11 am

NAveryW wrote:What's wrong with running away from Anno's statement if it sucks?!

nice reference
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:15 am

It's a reasonable interpretation, and I think we'll have to wait for the end of Rebuild to see if it's true or not. Maybe he really has made a decision.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:18 am

I'm with Shin-seiki on this one, it rates a flat 10 on my bullshit-o-meter

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:40 am

Shin-seiki wrote:from "some Spanish website"

That would be http://web.archive.org/web/20041206153315/http://www.eltonalteco.net/En/historiaev.php

So Shinji and Asuka take bad, just as Adam and Lilith; and however Shinji and Rei were loved, although they never got it to express freely (Well, Rei says in "The end of Evangelion"). Then Shinji must kill and kick Asuka from the "paradise" so that Rei can enter, who waits for the expulsion of Lilith.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:58 am

Mr. Tines wrote:

That would be http://web.archive.org/web/20041206153315/http://www.eltonalteco.net/En/historiaev.php

So Shinji and Asuka take bad, just as Adam and Lilith; and however Shinji and Rei were loved, although they never got it to express freely (Well, Rei says in "The end of Evangelion"). Then Shinji must kill and kick Asuka from the "paradise" so that Rei can enter, who waits for the expulsion of Lilith.

So Shinji tries to kill her, but Asuka reacts in a so cold way that make Shinji reflect....

The rest already is of free opinion... but the logical thing is to think that it ends up dying Asuka and it opens the way to Rei in the paradise, and returned to begin ^^.

Some think it was a tender reaction rather than a cold one (the cheek stroke). Others think it's her approving of his actions without a verbal confirmation (leading the "how disgusting" line to mean that she's disgusted that not only can't he take on instrumentality, he can't even finish her off). Since that's debatable, then so is the entire block of text in that link by the same concept.

The author even goes so far as to illustrate their own personal ending for the series. It's a good theory (if you can take the poor English and work it the correct way), but it remains just that. I could be wrong, but I don't accept what is written there as fact. Like I said, I could be wrong. For all I know, you're just quoting this site for reference and not because you believe it. Maybe you believe it and are correct. I really have no idea.

Feel free to quote that last sentence if I'm indeed an idiot, I wouldn't hold it against you (quite the contrary, actually...).

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:05 am

TriLink12 wrote:Personally, I think Anno has a knack for pulling statements (like this) out of his ass for the sole purpose of messing with people. I wouldn't take it too seriously guys.

Exactly. It's basically crap.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:35 am

Mr. Tines wrote:

I hope anyone who might be tempted to take any of this the least bit seriously clicks that link; that has to be one of the most concentrated blasts of Eva-related BS I've ever laid eyes on.

I can't help but wonder if someone from that site simply pulled the story about Anno laying this malarkey on some fans out of his ass, to enhance its (non-existent) credibility.

The fact that this startling "revelation" has languished in obscurity for all these years, with scarcely any mention at all on English-language sites, tends to make me think that most fans that have come across it have quite reasonably tossed it away into the 'file 13' in their minds. Unless someone can come up with a more credible source than some lame-sounding, "Anno supposedly said" anecdote, my position on this story (with respect to both its content, and its alleged provenance from Anno) is that it's 100% crap.
Last edited by Shin-seiki on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:47 am

Jeez. I know I'm coming in late, but I agree with Shin-Seiki one hundred percent- this is absolute garbage. Whoever concocted that created it as a fan explanation and passed it for Anno's (sort of the way ADV has passed off a whole lot of their garbage and commentary of doom junk).

Paradise? Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:39 am

Lo! and DatDude and Shin-seiki did agree on something and the angels wept as Armageddon began.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Sandoz
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Sandoz » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:56 am

Mr. Tines wrote:

That's exactly what I thought of when I read the first post.

It's fanwank. It's not true.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:56 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Whoever concocted that created it as a fan explanation and passed it for Anno's (sort of the way ADV has passed off a whole lot of their garbage and commentary of doom junk).

"It's phallic!"

There, to anyone who hasn't heard Greenfield waste hours of their lives, that's about all you need to know of those commentaries. Seriously, the man sees a penis in everything. Sean McCoy is usually there to back him up with some other stuff. The problem is they're so into their own version of the story that they sound like they know what they're talking about and can confuse people.

Normally you shouldn't hate people for having their own understanding of a series, but come on, don't go telling it's fact to others. Also, a "feature" of your wife bragging about how she blew all her money on merch is not needed... Gah...

Back on topic: Yes, it's grade-A bullshit, much like most of my posts.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”