Who "wins" in EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:15 am

pen^2 wrote:I was under the impression that the Eva became more controlled after it developed the S2 engine

I always kinda thought she let herself be "taken back into custody" after the "lunchie munchies" incident. Yui had nothing to gain by running around the Japanese countryside until it was time to really put that S2 to good use.

but you're probably right, it is acting on its own will, especially since it raises its arm after the bakelite breaks. Which means Yui was the one in control(?)

Shinji: "......Mother?"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Coded to the Core
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Coded to the Core » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:46 pm

I think Everybody won . Seele/Gendo/Shinji/Asuka/Rei ..
I am a lilith .. YAY .. *those jerks* :/ ...

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:54 pm

Coded to the Core wrote:I think Everybody won . Seele/Gendo/Shinji/Asuka/Rei ..

SEELE: Their plan of 3rd Impact was to control it, and rule the world by doing it, or something like that.

Gendo: His goal was to reunite with Yui. Considering she went hurtling off into space in the EoE, he lost.

Shinji: Even more psychological wounds to add to his already scarred mind. GNR, strangling Asuka, and considering his nature, he was probably thinking of Misato's actions on the day of Third Impact to be self-serving (using Shinji because she didn't want to die)

Asuka: Similar stuff to Shinji, such as becoming a teenage shish kebab, or getting strangled by Shinji.

Rei: Rei really doesn't care, and she pretty much became a free soul after Third Impact.

I could go on and on..
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:14 am

Shin-seiki wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:The plan may not have gone exactly to SEELE's plans, but it seems they came closet to achieving their goal, right?
Well, except for the part about Shinji rejecting Instrumentality, and consequently everyone getting their AT Fields (and thus, their individuality) back...

I thought Shinji's rejection of instrumentality only made it possible for people to return to their original forms if they so willed it, but everyone (except Asuka and Shinji) was still a sea of LCL at the end of the movie.

Coded to the Core
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Coded to the Core » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:03 am

CorporalChaos wrote:
Coded to the Core wrote:I think Everybody won . Seele/Gendo/Shinji/Asuka/Rei ..

SEELE: Their plan of 3rd Impact was to control it, and rule the world by doing it, or something like that.

Gendo: His goal was to reunite with Yui. Considering she went hurtling off into space in the EoE, he lost.

Shinji: Even more psychological wounds to add to his already scarred mind. GNR, strangling Asuka, and considering his nature, he was probably thinking of Misato's actions on the day of Third Impact to be self-serving (using Shinji because she didn't want to die)

Asuka: Similar stuff to Shinji, such as becoming a teenage shish kebab, or getting strangled by Shinji.

Rei: Rei really doesn't care, and she pretty much became a free soul after Third Impact.

I could go on and on..

SEELE , There plan was to start third impact all along So i guess they kinda won .

Gendo : The yui that went hurtling into space was the yui in Shinji's head .

Shinji: Wasnt Shinji free from all his pain and sorrows after yui made him understand the world ?

Asuka: The physical wounds caused in Eva02 killed her , But she came back after rejecting the IT project , And in those last moments she only understood to let go of her ego and accept that she also liked Shinji or otherwise she would've let him kill her .

Rei : She won ! She's free ..
I am a lilith .. YAY .. *those jerks* :/ ...

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:22 am

Wrong on four and a half of five counts.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:02 am

CitizenGeek wrote:I thought Shinji's rejection of instrumentality only made it possible for people to return to their original forms if they so willed it, but everyone (except Asuka and Shinji) was still a sea of LCL at the end of the movie.
That's true as far as it goes, but my point was that the mushing together of everyone's mind/souls into one is over with and undone. They're all individual souls floating out there, with intact ATFs; but apparently having one's ATF restored does not mean automatic restoration of one's physical body; that seems to involve an overt exertion of one's will to live ("imagining one's self in one's heart", as Rei puts it).

Also, strictly speaking, we only see a small section of beach that happens to have Shinji and Asuka present; for all we know, thousands of others could be coming back elsewhere all over the world.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:30 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Also, strictly speaking, we only see a small section of beach that happens to have Shinji and Asuka present; for all we know, thousands of others could be coming back elsewhere all over the world.

Thank you.

I don't understand why so many viewers fail to take that into account.

(And yes, I am well aware of the tsunamis and giant head impact forces and whatnot, as Tines has often been wont to point out. To that I say: "AT Field blur.")
Last edited by chee on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:32 am

I'm with shin on this one.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:14 pm

@ Chee: AT Filed blur indeed. The way Reichu and AEF put it (IIRC) is that Yui most likely contained the splash of GNR in her AT Field as GNR fell.

Besides, Shinji WAS alone for a period of time before Asuka returned, and looks psychically healthy--albeit crazed ("Far too long Lilith and the Eva Series have been staring at me for far too long *Twitch*")--so obviously he found some food/water somewhere to keep him alive.

I think it's just because of the fact that Anno ONLY showed us things on Shinji and Asuka's end, as well as those Gravemarkers, to make it clear that none of the people Shinji knew besides Asuka returned.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Regardless of what he wanted to convey, I actually don't think anything was supposed to be clear at all. XD

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:11 pm

:lol:

Damn you Anno! Damn you and your EVIL ambiguity; ambiguity makes Shinji cry! And when Shinji cries, that makes Stardust mad. And when Stardust gets mad, people DIE! (...Or not.)

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:40 pm

chee wrote:
Shin-seiki wrote:Also, strictly speaking, we only see a small section of beach that happens to have Shinji and Asuka present; for all we know, thousands of others could be coming back elsewhere all over the world.

Thank you.

(And yes, I am well aware of the tsunamis and giant head impact forces and whatnot, as Tines has often been wont to point out. To that I say: "AT Field blur.")

Well, you can't really discuss, in any great detail, what isn't shown and isn't there. Also, the whole atmosphere was very lonely and stuff, so I don't think it's too likely that there were other people that had returned at the time of the final scene in EoE.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Ok, the planet has a million beaches.We only get to see a part of one beach in the end.
We don't know what the heck is going on in the others, or not going on for that matter.
For all we know, a few kilometers away from the point where Asuka and Shinji stand, may be Maya riding an elephant --total random, yeah--
It's an open ending, you cannot accept or deny anything.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Szmitten wrote:Well, except Aoba.

Well, then, screw him. :P

No, really, Seele and Gendo get instrumentality, and anyone else can return if they wish.

Seems like a sound deal to me.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:35 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:Well, you can't really discuss, in any great detail, what isn't shown and isn't there. Also, the whole atmosphere was very lonely and stuff, so I don't think it's too likely that there were other people that had returned at the time of the final scene in EoE.

IMHO, it was only partially meant to give us an idea of the situation; the REAL point was to convey Shinji's state of mind.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Shinji's State of Mind: Being the only person that you know of to return after being told everybody else can will really screw with your mind. >_<

N'yah for more info: Passage of Time (EoE Final Scene) http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2270
(Looong thread is loooong but it's worth it.)

perfected_sound
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby perfected_sound » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Teenage shish-kebab sounds like a 50's pop song.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:42 pm

perfected_sound wrote:Teenage shish-kebab sounds like a 50's pop song.

Now that I think about it, it does...but it was just one of those random ideas that pop into my head from time to time...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

D'oh! I think I'm repeating myself.

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:01 pm

To answer the Thread's question: Pen-Pen. (He IS God in NGE, after all. ;))

Seriously though, the Divinity Trinity (Yui, Lilith, Adam) and Humanity really wins since they can live life and not have to worry about any crazy religious groups killing 'em all.

Though Yui's in space, supposedly to be the next Seed of Life (I guess her doing things "for Shinji's sake" was simply in terms of stopping Instrumentality and rest was just...whatever that was about??)

And Lilith is around, but in spiritual-form. Although nobody really knows if the same can be said for Adam.
Um. Yeah. :|

....At least humanity wins?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”