Misato and Shinji (Again)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 am

I'd say the relationship is platonic. At least from Misato's side. Shinji's a 14 year old male so he masturbates and thinks about having sex with EVERY none blood related female (would Rei be related to him by blood? If yes then scratch the second half of my previous statement).

But Misato is still a young woman and while she wanted to care for Shinji she personally wasn't emotionally mature enough to go about it in the right manner. So instead she did what felt most comfortable to her. Act girly and flirtatious. Come EOE it's gotten so bad that when she REALLY has to convince him to do something she tries to mislead him by promising sex. That one thing that any male is dying to hear at that age....or any age.

I've never bought the Misato was attracted to him. That's just the basis for someone's Doujinshi. Did I spell that right?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:16 am

:duhme:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:30 am

Huh????

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Just me be annoyed by yet another person who doesn't get it.

Did you read the whole thread before replying, or just decide to do a fly-by and drop your opinion on the pile?

EDIT: Sorry if I came across as a jerk here. In retrospect that reads much harsher than I intended it to be.
Last edited by NemZ on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm

Opinion dropping.

Doing a wee bit of procrastination on my behalf last night and I did read a few posts in the early half. And then decided to throw in an idea or two. I mean that's what these things are for right? Discussion and expressing opinions and ideas.

No harm done I hope. Or intended.

Psychodrama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrama » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:27 am

I've read the whole thread. I still don't get the vibe that Misato wanted to or was going to have sex with Shinji if given the chance. In 23, when she puts her hand over top of his and says "This is all I can do for you", I felt that it was innocent and she was establishing contact to show that she cares, in a non-sexual way, and would get into a deep conversation about him if he'd opened up to her. Let him talk things out if he wanted to. When someone's loved one dies, all you can do is give them a hug and say I'm sorry, because it's all you can do for them. That's what I felt she was doing.

And I agree with JimmyWolk's points...after Shinji pushed her away she went right to Pen Pen and when he did the same thing, she says to herself that she's the one that's lonely. Implying she just wanted to have some company, in a non-sexual way.

When the characters are calling her disgusting in EoE, I felt it was because they disapproved of her having sex just to feel wanted. Then she says "This is the me that Shinji doesn't know"...she wouldn't want him to know about it because she thinks she's supposed to be a mother figure and that's not something you'd want your son to know about you. And when it's said that she actually WANTS him to see (which I think she denies, but that doesn't prove whether it's false or not unless you want to believe what an unbalanced character states) I think it's because...when you're hiding something from someone that makes you feel awful about yourself, or anything, something inside of you wishes that it could be known. That it would make you feel better somehow. Sometimes you feel like you're living a lie if people don't know all of your flaws.

And the kiss in EoE, a motivator, as has been stated before. Nothing else was working so why not use feminine wiles? Anything to get him to act.

This is just what I felt. If it's been officially stated otherwise, then I guess I'm wrong, but I still can't help but feel this way. Can anyone show what exactly was said in the Newtype mag, and who said it?

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am

Psychodrama wrote:...she says to herself that she's the one that's lonely. Implying she just wanted to have some company, in a non-sexual way.

I believe this explores closeness and sex, closeness versus sex. It allows her to examine her own motivations, how she has been in the past, how this relationship with Shinji is different that other relationships. I believe we get a glimpse into her own (perhaps slight) confusion on the subject.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Psychodrama wrote:I've read the whole thread. I still don't get the vibe that Misato wanted to or was going to have sex with Shinji if given the chance.

That's how I took it the first time I saw it, though the awkward pause before entering, her hasty retreat w/ apologies, and the 'afraid of women' line did feel a little off to me.

Now, however, I think there is a huge knot of twisted intentions and emotions in Misato that massively complicates her relationships with Kaji, Shinji, and her father, all three of which I suspect had sexual tensions... even if only in her head.

Psychodrama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrama » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46 pm

I wonder if sometime into the Rebuild, some light will be shed on this.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Psychodrama wrote:I wonder if sometime into the Rebuild, some light will be shed on this.

It's a different version of the story; they've already made changes to Misato and Shinji's relationship. Any light shed on an issue in Rebuild is... light shed on an issue in Rebuild. It's not the original series.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Reichu wrote:It's a different version of the story; they've already made changes to Misato and Shinji's relationship.

Could you clarify this somehow, in this thread or another?
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:54 pm

The character dynamics between Misato and Shinji are already different as a result of the rewriting that's been done. Much of this comes through in the new scenes that have been added where Misato visits Shinji at the hospital and then drags him down to see Lilith. A previously absent dynamic is in place: Shinji points out how, as an Eva pilot, he's the one who's put on the front line of danger, but Misato gets through to him and shows "we're all in this together; you're not alone", reducing the emotional burden. We bear witness to a sort of intimacy at the end of the Lilith scene, when their hands "hug". This development resounds through the Operation Yashima segment.

So, long story short: Rebuild is taking its own path, so we shouldn't expect it to inform us a whole lot about what came before (even though, for whatever reason, a lot of people seem to).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”