Misato and Shinji (Again)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:21 pm

In EoE it's clearly proved that Misato didn't do anything intimate with Shinji.

In the second half of the movie there's a scene when Shinji watches how Misato does it with Kaji. We see him behind Misato's legs moving left and right, and he says "Misato does this?" and she answers with "Yes, this is the side of me you have never known".

She tried to be his mother, not a lover. The question was answered, the thread can be closed now. :toothy:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 pm

Although Misato WANTS to be Shinji's mother figure ("I couldn't be Shinji-kun's mother after all."), her actions in both episodes 23' and 25'/EoE as well as her flirting with him during the series were the actions of a lover instead.

I don't see how coming onto him in 23' or at the very least her french kissing him before she dies (along with telling him they'll have sex once he returns) isn't considered intimate.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:05 pm

simon wrote:She tried to be his mother, not a lover.

"I failed to be Shinji's mother..."

Fade into college sexathon that Misato thinks Shinji needs to see for some reason.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby simon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:39 am

Trying does not equal successing. She tried to be his mother and failed, but never abused him sexually.

The kiss in EoE was to tell him that he's a man now, so simple she wanted to give him some courage. The following sentence was the last Misato's joke. She knew perfectly she's not going to survive. I don't sense any perversity in it.

Yep, she was ACTING towards Shinji like a party-girl, but the teasing was just Misato's way to express herself. It's just how Misato is. She would have never ever touched him, she was clearly aware that Shinji is not a partner for her.

So the answer to the question "did she want to fuck him?" is definitely NO.
Did she tease him? YES.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 am

Reichu wrote:"I failed to be Shinji's mother..."

Fade into college sexathon that Misato thinks Shinji needs to see for some reason.
I covered this pages back under why I don't think that has anything to do with her being attracted to him...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:02 am

I don't really remember what happened earlier in the thread anymore; the whole affair has been very circular, like every time this bloody topic comes up. But, along with all else, I find the juxtaposition of those two bits in EoE hard to ignore.

Note that I didn't claim anything about "attraction" per se. (Oh, semantics, semantics.) My implicit point was that "Misato herself believed she failed, and that steamy scene might be providing some direct indication as to why..."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 am

Reichu wrote:My implicit point was that "Misato herself believed she failed, and that steamy scene might be providing some direct indication as to why..."
I gotcha. My proposition was that in trying to be a mother figure to Shinji she inevitably turned back towards her "fix-all" for every problem and that was sex. It was her answer to nearly every problem she faced in life. But using sex to fix something is not the same as being actually attracted to someone. This theory really gains weight when we consider how she uses sex in EoE towards Shinji.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 am

Reichu wrote:I don't really remember what happened earlier in the thread anymore; the whole affair has been very circular, like every time this bloody topic comes up.

If this topic keeps coming up and never gets resolved, one solution would be to use the Evapedia: create a page devoted to this debate, include a link to the most conclusive thread, and then anytime someone creates a new thread about this topic, point them there. Easy.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:19 pm

I think Reichu meant (though I could be wrong) that this topic keeps coming up because people are in disbelief about how Misato felt towards Shinji.

An Evapedia page will probably be created at some point though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:43 pm

The topic is circular because the threads go through a predictable pattern of discord. Someone is like, "Hurr, what was Misato trying to do". Loads of material and discussion presented to imply that not all in well in the world of Misato Katsuragi, even if we might not be able to pinpoint exactly what's going on. Then various naysayers pop up: "HUR SHE JUST WANTED A HUG", "HURR SHE WAS JUST JOKING", etc. etc. Then everything from earlier in the thread and about a dozen threads before it needs to be repeated in an attempt to shift the viewpoints of the naysayers. But, of course, everyone advocating that Misato has anything even remotely resembling ephebophilia is wrong, and Misato's actions must for some reason be interpreted in a purely innocent light, and the thread continues to go nowhere until it's locked.

Wait... Is that pretty much what you said? I'm not sure.

Someone else could graciously make a page for this; I have enough stuff to keep me busy...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

asukafan11
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukafan11 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:26 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Finally I should point out (again!) that the Newtype Filmbook (written in consultation with GAINAX) for #23 states flat out that Misato was offering her body to Shinji in that scene.

so then might've he and kaworu kissed in the scene where kaworu touched his hand?
"See, your problem is since your cute, no one tells you to shut up."
"You think i'm cute?"
"SHUT UP!"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:36 pm

asukafan11 wrote:so then might've he and kaworu kissed in the scene where kaworu touched his hand?

Not sure how this comparison is supposed to work. Nothing happened after Misato held his hand. The intent was what is in question. Therefore, a comparison can be made about Kaworu's intent, which is for another thread.

Might've, but unlike with Misato, it didn't get spelled out in Newtype.

asukafan11
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukafan11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:11 pm

kay.
"See, your problem is since your cute, no one tells you to shut up."
"You think i'm cute?"
"SHUT UP!"

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Reichu wrote:The topic is circular because the threads go through a predictable pattern of discord. Someone is like, "Hurr, what was Misato trying to do". Loads of material and discussion presented to imply that not all in well in the world of Misato Katsuragi, even if we might not be able to pinpoint exactly what's going on. Then various naysayers pop up: "HUR SHE JUST WANTED A HUG", "HURR SHE WAS JUST JOKING", etc. etc. Then everything from earlier in the thread and about a dozen threads before it needs to be repeated in an attempt to shift the viewpoints of the naysayers. But, of course, everyone advocating that Misato has anything even remotely resembling ephebophilia is wrong, and Misato's actions must for some reason be interpreted in a purely innocent light, and the thread continues to go nowhere until it's locked.

Wait... Is that pretty much what you said? I'm not sure.

Someone else could graciously make a page for this; I have enough stuff to keep me busy...

Well, hurrr, your opinion isn't fact, and there's not enough evidence and any of it is a load of crap.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 pm

Confucius say: "Man with closed eyes cannot see."
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:59 pm

well, it was nice knowing you jim_loves_randy :leekspin:

and regarding the topic, I stand by my earlier posts ITT
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 am

jim_loves_randy wrote:Well, hurrr, your opinion isn't fact, and there's not enough evidence and any of it is a load of crap.

My opinions aren't facts? First I've heard of it. Where did this insidious rumor start?

Plus, dude, you're responding to a post that is, like, half a year old. If you're going to take offense at a post and let everyone know about it, make sure it's within a week.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 am

Yes, I didn't pay much attention to the date.

So that means you changed your mind on the matter now?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:45 am

jim_loves_randy wrote:Yes, I didn't pay much attention to the date.

So that means you changed your mind on the matter now?

What opinion are you referring to? The one about everytime this gets discussed the same thing gets repeated over and over again (there are probably threads with the exact same discourse from both sides sitting in the ANF Archive from years and years ago, if not, I can upload them)?

Or the opinion on the actual topic at hand (which would make the block you quoted kind of confusing)? I'm not sure what her opinion is, but you can either believe NewType's Eva filmbook or not. Nobody's going to stop you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 am

Reichu wrote:My opinions aren't facts? First I've heard of it. Where did this insidious rumor start?

Maybe with Seele08 or DatDude, but I'm keeping the torch alive. Suck it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”