NERV positions and salaries

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:35 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I think it's implied by Misato's titles, Captain->Major, and the titles of the bridge bunnies, that the personel in Nerv do operate on a Military ranking system. We also from above that in EoE that the Bridge bunnies all recieved basic gun training, again pointing to a Military structure at the organisation.

Some, perhaps the majority of their personell might have a military rank, but not all, Ritsuko didn't have one, nor did Fuyutsuki or Gendo (Commander and sub-commander are positions, not ranks).

Still, I agree that those who do have a rank must of gone through some measure of security training before attaining the positions they had. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:44 am

S.A.L wrote:they probably spend enough to empty the resources of Japan, Korea and Singapore combined. Besides, I think it's real silly if you say NerV is on a tight budget! Come on, they're UN-backed!

Disposing of dead angels, constantly fixing and upgrading the Evas, Constantly rebuilding Tokyo-3, hiring spies, informers, and saboteurs, and NERV logo every god damn thing really adds up. Plus, we also know that at least when they were GEHIRN, Gendo's salary was pretty damn high...
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 pm

their pay is "we'll save your lives if you work!"
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:05 am

Well if that's the case, I think they deserve reparations, not many lived after the JSSDF was through with NERV. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:59 pm

The problem is that the children are still just that, and taking advantage of a situation for your own selfish means is a big theme in Evangelion. They're not old enough to deal with the military payroll, and this scenario is seen by those who run it all, and run away with it all.

Fuyutsuki: "We've done it." (have 14 year old kids pilot the Evangelions so we can scrap some of the largest payrolls in NERV)

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:12 pm

it always seemed uneven to me that one of the themes of the series is that conspicuous consumption has returned; i.e. Misato owns a custom sports car (or two...?) and has enough left over to own a genetically engineered penguin (which she got at work, but he's got food bills)

yet at the same time, in episode 12 Misato is worried about not being able to afford a steak dinner and many jokes are made that she is near-broke: What does she do, drink it all away?

And yeah in episode 1 she does say she's got payments on the car in an instalment plan.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

praticehero2010
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby praticehero2010 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the SEELE is pulling the strings on what money goes where throughout the show. I think indvidual characters salaries would've depended on what else is going on around them at the given moment, and take a secondary role. I can imagine a pay cut for most of Nerv personell after Zeruel finished trashing Nerv HQ, considering they were already mass producing evas, and then needed to rebuild Nerv.

As for Misato, the extravagant lifestyle + taking care of Shinji and Asuka would probably have in the red most of the time.
"If literature isn't everything, it's not worth an hour of someone's trouble."
~Jean Paul Sartre

My fanfiction(gotten a bit lazy): N2

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:20 pm

From what I can tell, Eva pilots aren't employees. They're volunteers. Asuka is probably the only one who bothered to demand a salary...
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Count A'ight wrote:From what I can tell, Eva pilots aren't employees. They're volunteers.

Hmm, that's quite a supposition you've got there. I hope you can support it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:23 pm

- they don't have ranks or positions
- they don't have NERV uniforms
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:36 pm

They're employees, all right.

Nerv gets to take care of them and send them to school and take care of their medical expenses- these qualify as pay for the kids. And just because we don't see them getting paid doesn't mean that they aren't paid, or don't have an account (into which money was deposited) which they could use once they got older.

And who needs ranks and uniforms when you get to pilot Evangelions and have those fancy plugsuits? ;)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 pm

The plugsuits and Marduk designations are close enough to uniform and rank, really.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Count A'ight wrote:- they don't have ranks or positions
- they don't have NERV uniforms

1: they are considered "pilots"

2: they have plugsuits, which only nerv pilots can where.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:36 am

There's really no reason why the pilots should get paid, as they are only children. Children usually join extra-curricular programs, which in this case I guess is piloting Eva. They can classify it as not work but rather an after school activity, albeit one that fucks you up pretty bad.

Hence why there is a Marduke Institute "created" that supposedly scouts kids like a scholarship program, sending the qualified ones to be trained as pilots, which is kinda like internship in the real world. Or the thing where you're a high school student taking biology and you show promise in it, you get the exclusive opportunity from your teacher to work in a real bio lab.

Nerv probably does this as a way to hide their real intent.

So yeah, that's my take, feel free to shit all over it. :toothy:

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:00 am

Rei is obviously getting money for food, housing, and bandages.
Unless she's stealing them.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:03 pm

^ All those things are provided for her. Also, we see Gendo ask Rei if she would like to have lunch with him, which might happen often.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:^ All those things are provided for her.

Yup. Episode 2 reveals that NERV assigns housing.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 am

Even so you can't expect Rei to live entirely on meals with Gendo. I mean come on, there must be at least an allowance!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Did Nerv pay the Eva pilots?

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm

This is just a minor thing that's bugged me since I first saw the series. Do the Children get paid for piloting the Evas? Sure Shinji and Rei won't be buying much, but Asuka might. So was it ever stated anywhere if they get a salery, and hazard pay? Because if not we can add unpaid child labor to Nerv's missdeeds.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm

It's never mentioned anywhere I don't think. Maybe their pay is free room and lodging? (Oh, wait. Every 14-year-old gets that...)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”