Fanwankery: First Impact

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Fanwankery: First Impact

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Lets us now descend, into speculation most base and unsubstantiated. For no other reason than it should amuse us for a while.

In evangelion, we have the Second and Third Impacts. But what then was First Impact. One idea that gets thrown around from the old days is the idea that first impact refers to the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs. This has since been either discredited or simply rejected.

Another theory that has been brought up is the idea that First Impact referrs to Giant Impact Theory. That is, the theory that billions of years ago, another smaller planet collided with the young earth, and the debris from the impact formed the moon. It certainly seems an event worthy of the title "Impact" at any rate.

The reason I'd like to bring up this topic is the following. As inferred from the series and spelt out in NGE2's classified information, there is the idea of a "First Ancestor Civilisation" (FAR) who propagated two forms of life throughout the galaxy. The two forms were Lilith type orgaisms (LDOs)(Life on Earth) and "Adam" type organisms (ADOs) (Angels). These were propagated via the sources of life (SoLs), presumably aboard the Geofronts(White moon and Black moon). It's stated in the CI I believe that the odds of two geofronts landing on the same planet were astronomically low.

Anyway, my idea is as follows. What if the two geofronts did not land on the same planet. What if instead one landed on proto-earth and the other on proto-theia (the planet that crashed into the earth to form the moon).

Now, this is pretty heady speculation, substanciated by nothing in the show. However as has been mentioned, Anno and Co. were science buffs at the time of Evangelion's creation, and may have heard of this theory, which is apparently an accepted one in astrophysics circles. As such, it may have been a "back of the mind" item during the shows production.

Anyway, the reason I propose this at all is as follows. During the conversation on the lake in episode #24', SEELE refer to
That is Lilith, the progenitor of mankind
who are the false successors from the black moon.

And Adam, the progenitor of the Angels
who are the true successors from the lost white moon.

We also have Rei, who contains the soul of Lilith, being repeated associated with the moon.

So basically, perhaps Lilith's black moon ended up, or was placed, on Theia, and Adam's on Earth. When Theia collided with earth, the result was that Lilith "usurped" Adam's rightful place as the Source of life on Earth, whereas her "proper" place on the remains of dead Theia, i.e. the moon, was left a barren lifeless waste.

Anyway this is all fanwankery of the most depraved kind, so I'll leave it at that.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fanwankery: First Impact

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:22 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Another theory that has been brought up is the idea that First Impact referrs to Giant Impact Theory.

That is the First Impact referred to in the school-book we see in, IIRC, ep#7.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:24 pm

I like how people start making near-scientific theories about NGE. Not being sarcastic, either. Love it how this is one of the only shows out there you can do this in.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:28 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:I like how people start making near-scientific theories about NGE. Not being sarcastic, either. Love it how this is one of the only shows out there you can do this in.

Theoreticly speaking you could descend into this level of fanwanking using Bo-bo-bo-whatever and speculate about the scientific princlples governing his nose-hair. Now why someone would want to do that is beyond me.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:That is the First Impact referred to in the school-book we see in, IIRC, ep#7.

I thought that that was referring to Second Impact? I don't actually have a translation of that paticular shot. Anyone know where to find one.

SEELE 08 wrote:Theoreticly speaking you could descend into this level of fanwanking using Bo-bo-bo-whatever and speculate about the scientific princlples governing his nose-hair. Now why someone would want to do that is beyond me.

SEELE 08, it's great to have you here. Your cast as Reichu's lost disciple gives the boards the hard skepticism they need from time to time. Honestly.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:53 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:That is the First Impact referred to in the school-book we see in, IIRC, ep#7.

I thought that that was referring to Second Impact? I don't actually have a translation of that paticular shot. Anyone know where to find one.

Admittedly, I'm taking ADVs translation on trust, but in that, it refers to the small impactor exoteric version of 2I, and then as an aside mentions 1I as happening ~ 4 billion years ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:25 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:Theoreticly speaking you could descend into this level of fanwanking using Bo-bo-bo-whatever and speculate about the scientific princlples governing his nose-hair. Now why someone would want to do that is beyond me.

Yes, anything can be overanalyzed, but what would be the drive to explain something like Bo's nose hairs? NGE is designed to be one of those shows you can do stuff like this with, though i'm not saying it's the only one. Just taking a look at this very discussion board proves that.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:13 am

but NGE is also one of the only shows that when over analyzed it still remains good, a lot of others lose there spark when delving to deep into there world.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:21 pm

Fist Impact could have been:

The creation of the universe

The meteor that created the moon

or

The meteor that killed the dinosaurs

We really don't know though, and it really doesn't matter since no-one was there to see it anyway. :P
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:38 pm

First impace was when the Death Star collided with planet earth and Luke is Adam and Leia is Lilith.
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Maybe it was when Xenu brought all those aliens to earth, put them around a volcano, and blew them all up with a hydrogen bomb.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:28 pm

zephyr72 wrote:Maybe it was when Xenu brought all those aliens to earth, put them around a volcano, and blew them all up with a hydrogen bomb.

Does that mean that Tom Cruise will become the soul of an eva to be piloted by that poor kid of his...
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 pm

lol...wouldn't that make an interesting movie?

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:
zephyr72 wrote:Maybe it was when Xenu brought all those aliens to earth, put them around a volcano, and blew them all up with a hydrogen bomb.

Does that mean that Tom Cruise will become the soul of an eva to be piloted by that poor kid of his...

No, I think it would go like this:

Eva-01: Katie Holmes
Gendo: Tom Cruise
Suri: Shinji

Katie cant take that crap forever...*CHOMP*
-!

C4
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:36 pm

I always thought that they referred to "impacts" as being incredibly destructive to life by definition, so I always thought it was the meteor that killed all the dinosaurs.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:04 am

could be the holocaust for all we know, and frankly it doesnt really matter
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 am

Fearthebait wrote:could be the holocaust for all we know, and frankly it doesnt really matter

No, but it is interesting to talk about.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:34 am

C4 wrote:I always thought that they referred to "impacts" as being incredibly destructive to life by definition, so I always thought it was the meteor that killed all the dinosaurs.

Third Impact wasn't necessarily "destructive" in it's nature... "Disruptive" would be a better term, but SEELE would probably define it as "reconstructive." Impacts are not neccesarily destruction... Just an impact on life. Therefor, First Impact could be interpereted as a lizard-killing meteor, or the big bang, or the creation of the earth, or whatever it is you consider to be the first signifigant impact on Earth's life.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Conrad Gray
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:18 am

Ayato Kamina did it.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:46 am

Timstuff wrote:
Third Impact wasn't necessarily "destructive" in it's nature... "Disruptive" would be a better term, but SEELE would probably define it as "reconstructive." Impacts are not neccesarily destruction...
The show seems to beg to differ. 2I happens, and boom, half the world's population is wiped out. And notice the giant 'splosion that happens right before Instrumentality in EoE? I had always assumed that was pretty much 3I. The giant 'eye' forming on the Earth that becomes Lilith's egg seems to cover a good portion of the globe. I imagine if that's all that would've happened it would've been pretty damn destructive.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”