Maya Ibuki

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Lesbian? Well, it's no wonder she only favours Ritsuko, and none of the other lieutenants seem to like her.

Plenty of lesbian Asian ladies out there, if you ask me.

Yeah, I mean, the world would probably be less in population density if gays populated more than straight. They'd probably think being gay is a lot nice since you can smell each other's armpits and sense the fragrant smell.

A novel about lesbians? Ugh, I wonder what's it about? I know:
"THE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO LESBIANS. AND HOW TO BE THE MOST EFFECTIVE ONE"
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 pm

Erica Friedman is going to kick your ass.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Reichu wrote:Oh yeah. On-topic, Shin-seiki wanted me to make something like this eons ago, and it's been lying around on my HD for months:

Whoa, watch where you're poking that thing!
Awesome!
So, do you suppose you could 'shop this...

...to say "I KNEED YOU" :wink:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:02 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Lesbian? Well, it's no wonder she only favours Ritsuko, and none of the other lieutenants seem to like her.

...what? It would seem Aoba at least cared for her by trying to get her to defend herself in EoE, so I would say your statement is a little ignorant.

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Plenty of lesbian Asian ladies out there, if you ask me.

and you know this, how exac-?... wait never mind, I don't want to know...

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Yeah, I mean, the world would probably be less in population density if gays populated more than straight.

Population density... hmm, wouldn't know anything about that *looks at Alaska's .5 person per a sq. mile.* 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 am

DatDude wrote:Maya is an asain lesbian thats why she popular :)

Probably. But I think the fact that she's shy and .... cute, to an extent, as well as the fact that she's a total nerd has something to do with it. That's why I like Maya, anyway :]

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Yeah, I mean, the world would probably be less in population density if gays populated more than straight. They'd probably think being gay is a lot nice since you can smell each other's armpits and sense the fragrant smell.

Wait ... er ... what?

BobBQ wrote:Newtyped to death, certainly.

I don't think there's any promotional art or merchandise that's blatantly suggestive, is there? That art with Hikari and Maya is hardly 'suggestive' considering Hikari is 14-years-old and it's common for girls to link arms.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:08 am

CitizenGeek wrote:
BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Yeah, I mean, the world would probably be less in population density if gays populated more than straight. They'd probably think being gay is a lot nice since you can smell each other's armpits and sense the fragrant smell.

Wait ... er ... what?

*Thinks it be a South Park reference, but with this person, all normal rational seems to have gone out for an extended lunch* 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:45 am

CitizenGeek wrote:I don't think there's any promotional art or merchandise that's blatantly suggestive, is there?

Maya / Ritsuko art? The quantity is massive.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:50 am

BobBQ wrote:Maya / Ritsuko art? The quantity is massive.

Tonnes of doujin work, yes, but official?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:10 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Tonnes of doujin work, yes, but official?

Taken a look at the NGE collectors' discs lately?

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:55 am

I thought she was one of those characters that seemed to be actually "human". She had emotions and everything. The way she was crying and screaming while Asuka got ripped up. It was so... It made me realize that someone was still ... somewhat normal.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:26 am

That is why she wasn't able to kill anothe rhuman when GeoFront was invaded. She still had those morals of 'Thou shalt not kill'
I feel old

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:03 am

The Imperialist wrote:She still had those morals of 'Thou shalt not kill'

I'd say it was pretty clearly a case of "I can't stomach pulling the trigger if it's going to make somebody's head explode like a watermelon" than any lofty ideals.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:05 am

Not everyone can be like you Bob.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:16 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Not everyone can be like you Bob.

Well, of course. I'd be superfluous otherwise.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:51 pm

Then what is a pacifist doing in NERV?
I feel old

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:00 pm

It's fighting people she's queasy about; defending the whole world against the Fungi from Outer Space (or equivalent) is something that can be rationalised differently.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:It's fighting people she's queasy about; defending the whole world against the Fungi from Outer Space (or equivalent) is something that can be rationalised differently.

They're people too, though it is easy to rationalize differently as the fanbase often proves. She is living in a denial of sorts.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:16 pm

There is something about how Maya acts where in some ways, that makes me I see her as being an adult, female, Shinji like Incisivis stated earlier...

I guess part of it could be the fact Maya's pacifist when it comes to killing other humans, a rather nice irony concerning the Angels and all. With Shinji, he certainly doesn't seem to enjoy killing the Angels (except for a few battles here and there, namely Episodes 3 and 19 come to mind). And of course, with killing other people, Shinji has demonstrated in various episodes that he cares A LOT about others even if he doesn't act too attached to them.

I wonder if Maya sometimes becoming sick in a few battles could be a type of audience commentary by Anno? I certainly sympathized with her when such scenes (Episodes 16, 18, 19/20, EoE) occurred, though oddly enough, none of the violence really grossed me out (which violence usually does).

Smith wrote:I rather suspect that Maya is one of those people who - assuming she were even aware of it - would try very hard to repress feelings which would more often than not be seen as socially inappropriate.

That's what I've always thought about Maya, too. That she suffers from Internalized Homophobia, whether or not she realizes she's gay. (Which is partly what Internalized Homophobia can be, anyway.)

Smith wrote:Taken a look at the NGE collectors' discs lately?

Lots of Ritsuko/Maya pics indeed!

@ BEsERk EVA01: You don't seem to know this based on your ignorant post, but being Gay and Asian is a VERY big no-no in Asian culture.
Although Japan isn't as Religious as the West is (for one thing, only 1% of Japan are Christians, everything else is more or less a mix&match of Buddhist and Shinto traditions, according to the various books I've read), being GLBTQ is looked down upon in regards to not disgracing the family and increasing the family bloodline. (Since Japan is a country where the good of the group matters most. America, however, is the opposite where the individual matters. I say there needs to be a happy medium, but I digress.)

@ V: Tines was more or less right not the money with what I was saying in terms of myself. Being Bi isn't my sole defining feature, plus I haven't gotten involved with any organizations/met many GLBTQ people except for my College's GSA due to being to damn busy with college. >_<
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:50 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:That's what I've always thought about Maya, too. That she suffers from Internalized Homophobia, whether or not she realizes she's gay. (Which is partly what Internalized Homophobia can be, anyway.)

I think you are reading far, far, far too much into it.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:54 am

as do I
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”