Post-Apocalyptic Urban Design: What can Los Angeles learn from Tokyo-III Resilient Urbanism?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Martian_Sundays
Embryo

Post-Apocalyptic Urban Design: What can Los Angeles learn from Tokyo-III Resilient Urbanism?

•      
  •      

Postby Martian_Sundays » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:51 pm

https://youtu.be/gJPoaD0kEK8

I'm an Architect and Urban Planner, anime has always played a huge role in my journey as a Designer. Whether it is design inspiration or simply life motivation to challenge the odds and keep going. Because Hollywood is literally in my backyard [and as our cities combat impending irreversible Climate change ] I wanted to explore what we can learn about the future of humankind from science fiction and what they got right. Tokyo-III, the other City of Angels lol, was the first case study to come to mind. What can we learn from a city designed to protect its inhabitants?

The EvaGeeks Archive was a super invaluable resource, a shoutout in the credits :D

Super interested in your thoughts on green infrastructure Urbanism and what Evangelion got right haha

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Urban Design: What can Los Angeles learn from Tokyo-III Resilient Urbanism?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:46 am

Blocked in my country :/
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Martian_Sundays
Embryo

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Urban Design: What can Los Angeles learn from Tokyo-III Resilient Urbanism?

•      
  •      

Postby Martian_Sundays » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:43 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Blocked in my country :/

Embarrassing :facepalm:

I believe it may be available everywhere now :D

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:00 pm

It is, thank you! ^_^
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:06 am

View Original PostMartian_Sundays wrote:https://youtu.be/gJPoaD0kEK8

I wanted to explore what we can learn about the future of humankind from science fiction and what they got right. Tokyo-III, the other City of Angels lol, was the first case study to come to mind. What can we learn from a city designed to protect its inhabitants?

The EvaGeeks Archive was a super invaluable resource, a shoutout in the credits :D

Super interested in your thoughts on green infrastructure Urbanism and what Evangelion got right haha

Great video king, finished watching it (actually found it through Youtube recommendations and realized you posted it here) and I firmly agree w/ your thesis if we're assuming that the design of Tokyo-III was made with the intent of protecting inhabitants. But I'm thinking, given the nature of NERV, SEELE, and the post-Impact governments that sequestered resources to build the city, it might be that these were not designed to protect and support the inhabitants -- but to protect and support the Evas.

That's ultimately not what the individual architects and such probably intended as a design, but I'm sure most of the Tokyo-III urban planners must have realized that they were effectively contracting out to an ultimately single-minded organization, all things considered. Curious to hear your thoughts on that. Really dig the work.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”