What do you think Gendo was like at Shinji's age?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ShinjiNeverGivesUp
Embryo

What do you think Gendo was like at Shinji's age?

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiNeverGivesUp » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Was he already a total badass like he is during the main story? Was he a gentle, withdrawn boy at 14 like Shinji is? What do you think he was like?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: What do you think Gendo was like at Shinji's age?

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:43 pm

I always point to the Angelic Days Manga when people ask this question.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Probably very similar to the way he was in college. A brusque, standoffish loner who gets into fights. A rogue bull on a short tether, I believe Fuyutsuki callled him.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:10 pm

I'd bet he was a young delinquent from a broken or abusive home, possibly a single father who was always absent while diligently working in some generic office setting. The kind of kid who is smart enough to depress his teachers with his wasted potential and lack of effort. A smart kid with little guidance and no effective supervision is sure to be running with the wrong crowd, possibly even a street gang or organized crime outfit who always have uses for capable and expendable labor like that for courier tasks or unobtrusive information gathering.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm

View Original PostShinjiNeverGivesUp wrote:Was he already a total badass like he is during the main story?

......Was Gendo at ANY point a "total badass"?

BlueBasilisk wrote:A rogue bull on a short tether, I believe Fuyutsuki callled him.

This must be a dub thing.

At Shinji's age? "Brusque, standoffish loner who gets into fights" seems mostly on point, but I'd think he'd also be much more vulnerable and obviously Shinji-like. Like, more inclined to show emotional "weakness", rather than constantly hiding behind a sneer.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, there was that time he punched Ramiel in SIRP. :lol:

The rogue bull thing is probably a dubism. Fuyutsuki says it in voice over when he first meets Gendo. The platinum transcripts say that his first impression was simply "distaste" though.

Maybe it's just the voice acting, but the younger Gendo pre-Yui's death always comes across as insufferably smug to me, like he's determined to piss off whoever he's talking to. Shinji has a couple moments where he acts like that too.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

TrumpetsGo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TrumpetsGo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:23 am

middle age?....

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:10 pm

If one's age can be considered a state of mind, then I don't think Gendo ever truly was Shinji's age.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 pm

At the end of the Manga they do show a short of what Gendo was like in university were he met Yui it seemed to point to a wayward loner who was kind of cold and wants to be left alone, which made me think that he might have had come from an abusive home of some kind, I think he probably treats Shinji much like his own father treated him and I found it really sad in the manga that he just wanted nothing to do with him after Yui vanished and was very quick to shove him on to Yui's family.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

ShinjiNeverGivesUp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiNeverGivesUp » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:......Was Gendo at ANY point a "total badass"?

Gendo is super hardcore and cool! I first watched Eva when I was 9, and I wanted to grow up to be just like him.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:40 pm

I bet he was like Shinji, but even more troubled.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:28 am

View Original PostShinjiNeverGivesUp wrote:Gendo is super hardcore and cool! I first watched Eva when I was 9, and I wanted to grow up to be just like him.

Gendo is probably the LAST person you want to emulate as a grown up. Sure, he seems "cool", calm, and collected, but that's because he's pretty much cast all pretense of his own humanity aside for his own goals. He's willing to sacrifice anything if it means he can get what he wants, including his own son if that's what it takes.

Trust me, if you were on the receiving end of Gendo, I don't think you'd want to be like him. :(
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Gendo is probably the LAST person you want to emulate as a grown up. Sure, he seems "cool", calm, and collected, but that's because he's pretty much cast all pretense of his own humanity aside for his own goals. He's willing to sacrifice anything if it means he can get what he wants, including his own son if that's what it takes.

Trust me, if you were on the receiving end of Gendo, I don't think you'd want to be like him. :(

Sure, if he was on the recivieng end. But if he growns up to be like Gendo? He would be succesfull in real world with such drive and lack of scrupules. There is no Yui or Anno to screw over various "Gendos" across the world. Politicians, CEOs... If he wanted to emulate Shinji on the other hand... He would get fucked by pretty much everyone and achieve nothing. That much at least Eva have with reality.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:10 am

^
That maybe so, but history has shown time and time again that people who use such power are doomed to fall because they don't rely on anyone but themselves. That's the whole problem when everyone is playing the long-game of power, everyone wants the cake for themselves.

And the thing about Gendo's motivation? It was all towards getting Yui back, but because of his actions towards both innocent people and especially his son, Yui REJECTED him, the very person he was risking everything to "save".

And emulating Shinji? There's more than a far share of people who act like Shinji or at least behave like Shinji here on the forums themselves, and I don't think the universe is screwing them over. Myself included. :wink:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

ShinjiNeverGivesUp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiNeverGivesUp » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:38 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Gendo is probably the LAST person you want to emulate as a grown up. Sure, he seems "cool", calm, and collected, but that's because he's pretty much cast all pretense of his own humanity aside for his own goals. He's willing to sacrifice anything if it means he can get what he wants, including his own son if that's what it takes.

No worries, I don't want to be like Gendo. This is just when I was a 3rd grader entranced by his outwardly 'cool' exterior, but too young and dumb to understand what a flawed person he is. :3

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:And the thing about Gendo's motivation? It was all towards getting Yui back, but because of his actions towards both innocent people and especially his son, Yui REJECTED him, the very person he was risking everything to "save".

And emulating Shinji? There's more than a far share of people who act like Shinji or at least behave like Shinji here on the forums themselves, and I don't think the universe is screwing them over. Myself included. :wink:

Yui rejected Gendo because he was as much pawn in her plans as Shinji was. She never intended to get reunited with him, no matter what he would do.

As for you? Don't worry. Your EoE is apparently still to come, or there's not enough Shinji in you :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 am

Stillborn wrote:As for you? Don't worry. Your EoE is apparently still to come, or there's not enough Shinji in you :tongue:

Should I understand this line so that you already live in your post-EoE world, and still nobody have emerged back from LCL to keep you company, because you actually are Gendo? :lol:
JUSTICE & MERCY

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:As for you? Don't worry. Your EoE is apparently still to come, or there's not enough Shinji in you :tongue:

Hate to break it to you Borny, but, I already did have a kind of EoE event in my life. A long time ago. But, like Shinji, it made me a stronger more stable person. I wasn't IMMEDIATELY fixed afterwards, and it took a while for me to collect myself, but I pulled through. :) So, sorry man, I don't plan on being a depressive mess today. XD

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:Should I understand this line so that you already live in your post-EoE world, and still nobody have emerged back from LCL to keep you company, because you actually are Gendo? :lol:

Nah. If I was Gendo, I would be in my office, exploiting shmucks for profit, instead of sitting here.

I'm more of a Shinji on an empty shore, throwing rocks in the collective mass od mankind, because there is nothing better to do in a hollow world.
Another jaded man.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:56 am

^

You know, it IS possible to NOT exploit people and be the better man and HELP others. You can still be as savy as Gendo, but put your saviness to GOOD use and help others. :)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”