One more time with feeling -- concurrency etc.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: One more time with feeling -- concurrency etc.

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Not sure I follow the issue there, Cody. He's having an argument more or less with himself at that point and making wild assumptions and reactions to the images shown. There's nobody actually telling him he has to do anything there but himself.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:17 pm

There are literal events happening before Instrumentality occurs in EoTV, albeit in a more internal fashion, Shinji is literally confronted with Eva Unit 01 and then internally struggles with the request to pilot once more (Misato's request in EoE, and sitting near inactive Unit 01), Asuka states that she "[doesn't] remember getting on, but [she's] back in the Eva again." (Again, she is literally in Eva Unit 02; at the bottom of the lake in EoE) as she then internally struggles with her dependency on others. Rei struggles with her identity and Gendo literally appears, ready to initiate Instrumentality (again, further illustrated in EoE).

The internal fashion of EoTV 25 (which exists even before Instrumentality begins in EoTV) is simply a different, more internal look into the same ending. (Again, the apple quote in the interview) Due to time/money constraints, simple images are shown because that's all that could occur given the circumstances, and they weren't necessary for the internal view of the story Anno wanted to tell. A theory, of course, but one that has staggering evidence.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:26 pm

You can't really piece it together like that without external sources, but I don't at all deny that the original draft of 25 (which we've never seen) which was the basis for 25' was probably a big influence on the 25 we got. Seems a stretch to me to call that 'litteral' when the situation is presented so vaguely though.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:43 pm

I agree that there is no discernible way to figure out that Shinji confronting Unit 01 = Shinji dealing with someone's actual request to pilot again, or Asuka saying that she is in Unit 02 = she is at the bottom of the lake. For this side of the story Anno wanted (or had) to tell, we didn't need to know.

It gets a little more subjective in this area.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:42 pm

If Instrumentality doesn't involve Unit 01, and Instrumentality happens by Episode 26 of EoTV, then Shinji piloting Unit 01 is a non-issue, and holds no significance to the story as performed in the show. Instead, Shinji should be like "I can't find Unit 01 in here, so I guess I'm okay. It's okay for me to be in this world!" Then everybody applauded and congratulates him for realizing that his whole point was rendered moot.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:54 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Not sure I follow the issue there, Cody. He's having an argument more or less with himself at that point and making wild assumptions and reactions to the images shown. There's nobody actually telling him he has to do anything there but himself.

Your take is that Instrumentality has already begun in EoTV even before the title card that announces its beginning?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Freaky wrote:Shinji piloting Unit 01 is a non-issue, and holds no significance to the story

It holds all kinds of significance. None of this happens if he doesn't stop the angels to buy enough time for this whole thing to be possible, and he provides a clueless audience surrogate character to follow through the story even when he's no longer really at the center of things in the end.

Monk wrote:Your take is that Instrumentality has already begun in EoTV even before the title card that announces its beginning?

I think so, yeah. The whole chair/spotlight thing had already started prior to that moment, and when Shinji is first having his doubts he is interrogated by an Asuka who keeps changing clothing between shots. There are moments that seem to be glimpses outside this mental landscape, but it's impossible to tell from them what order things happened in or if this is current within the narrative or a flashback.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”