Dumb question: why was Shinji alone at the start of Eva?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
popcorn
Embryo

Dumb question: why was Shinji alone at the start of Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby popcorn » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:01 am

Hi everyone. I've registered here just to find an answer to a dumb question that's haunted me for years.

Shinji arrives in Tokyo, a heavily fortified city, and waits to be picked up by Misato. In that time, a state of emergency is declared, and everyone hauls ass to a shelter. So why the hell is Shinji standing around outside like an idiot, waiting to get stamped on?

Is this a plot hole or just something that I don't get?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:03 am

I'd assumed that he was the only one getting off the train at that stop; all the automated services were still running, but nobody was around.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:38 am

And he's a hick country boy, new to Tokyo-3, and quite likely unaware of the Angel precautions and shelters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 am

I thought Misato was late and he didn't know where the shelter was but I don't remember the details. I remember boobs on a postcard. Maybe he was busy

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Yes, it is a plot hole. A very big one. Just like how did Shinji work with Unit-02 when they were on Over the Rainbow or whatever the fuck you called it. Nah. I wouldn't think too hard of it inverse, it's just a plot device like everything. Even more so seeing how the plot and characters are second to the meaning of the show.

View Original Postunz wrote:I thought Misato was late and he didn't know where the shelter was but I don't remember the details. I remember boobs on a postcard. Maybe he was busy

Busy? Yeah, jerking off. I mean, this is Shinji we're talking about.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

popcorn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby popcorn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone. None of the explanations really satisfy me to be honest, so I guess it's a plot hole after all.

View Original PostxPearse wrote: I wouldn't think too hard of it inverse, it's just a plot device like everything. Even more so seeing how the plot and characters are second to the meaning of the show.

I think you're exactly right here, though there are plot elements to Eva I find really exciting. For example, the Rei reveal is really thrilling. I just wish some of the loose ends were taken care of so they don't distract from the bigger things.

A bigger plot hole for me is why everyone continues to live in this city when it's repeatedly attacked by cosmic beings of mass destruction...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:33 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'd assumed that he was the only one getting off the train at that stop; all the automated services were still running, but nobody was around.

This. How would he have any idea what was going on or where he was supposed to go?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I have to disagree.
Misato says she is preety late to pick him up.
I think it's preety safe to assume that they arranged the meeting in Tokyo 3.
The Manga, while not a direct representation of what happens in NGE, kinda gives an idea of what the director wanted for the audience to infer.
While not explained to the viewer, I don't think that it's a plot hole. Evangelion has a distinct detail, that its beginning is minimalist, and goes right to the point, with few introductions, in a matter that the audience can find itself in the plot and what is going on based on their own judgement. ^^
The Eva-Zelda relations are way stronger than you can ever imagine.

popcorn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby popcorn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:03 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This. How would he have any idea what was going on or where he was supposed to go?

He would follow the masses of people rushing to shelters and evacuation zones.

e: In the event of emergency, Tokyo trains stop immediately.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Misato is ALSO late, yes, but Shinji is still just wandering around in a completely empty train station. We don't see any crowds of people fleeing, just him, so presumably they've already all gotten to shelter before he arrived in the middle of things with no clue what is going on.

Shutting down the trains in an emergency isn't going to happen when the key to resolving the emergency needs to get where he's going on a train... surely Nerv could pull some strings to make sure that single train keeps moving.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

popcorn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby popcorn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:24 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Misato is ALSO late, yes, but Shinji is still just wandering around in a completely empty train station. We don't see any crowds of people fleeing, just him, so presumably they've already all gotten to shelter before he arrived in the middle of things with no clue what is going on.

Shutting down the trains in an emergency isn't going to happen when the key to resolving the emergency needs to get where he's going on a train... surely Nerv could pull some strings to make sure that single train keeps moving.

All this stuff is possible, but you're having to concoct elaborate speculations to account for it.

I always thought I just misunderstood something but I'm increasingly suspecting not.

e: I mean, the more you think about this, the sillier it is. If the key to defeating the angels is Shinji, why did Nerv send for him by train at all? Like, why didn't the Nerv secret service guys just show up at his house and say "Hey kid, get in the helicopter?"

(Not that any of this is important, really.)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Gendou held off summoning Shinji as long as he could (part of the trying to spare his son side of him that people occasionally mention and acknowledge, I suppose), but the Angel turned up that bit too soon. Just coincidence to suit the plot, and not requiring any more explanation than that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:29 pm

View Original Postpopcorn wrote:Like, why didn't the Nerv secret service guys just show up at his house and say "Hey kid, get in the helicopter?"
There was a special train laid on for him when he was about to quit, later; doing the same on the way in would make sense. It would explain why it stopped to let off a passenger even while an emergency was being signalled.

And he would get off and follow whatever directions he had been given, in true Shinji fashion, right into the middle of a war zone.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:44 pm

This is the first time I ever heard Shin-chan is from the country side or is a hick. Sauce?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Where the heck IS Shinji when he gets off the train anyway? Seems like they have a fairly long drive before getting back into Tokyo-3.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:14 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:This is the first time I ever heard Shin-chan is from the country side or is a hick. Sauce?

No source; headcanon. It's just that he's come from outside Tokyo 3, and is clearly not familiar with the setup. How many other cities have been able to be rebuilt since second impact is unknown, but I imagine the resources were swallowed up by Tokyo 3 anyway.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:34 pm

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Yes, it is a plot hole. A very big one.

How is it a plot hole, and why is it a big one?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm late to this party, but I'd say the reason is that "NERV is not a well-run organization". It's one of about a dozen times that a "rocks fall, everyone dies" ending was averted by serendipity.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:07 am

I second the minimal thing.
Last edited by unz on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:18 am

View Original Postpopcorn wrote:He would follow the masses of people rushing to shelters and evacuation zones.

e: In the event of emergency, Tokyo trains stop immediately.

Yeah. Shinji would be the guy to just wander around town when everyone else is running for cover.

"Hmm, maybe I should go to the shelter. No, I'm supposed to meet Misato here. I'll just stick around."
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”