When did Asuka find out Shinji's mom was dead?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ash1969
Embryo

When did Asuka find out Shinji's mom was dead?

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:00 pm

In Episode 15 during the kiss scene she tried to goad him by bringing up Yui.("Afraid she may be watching you from Heaven?") Previously, she had made similar, if bizarre, remarks in Episode 14.("Hey, Shinji, how do you like mommy's breast? Or is it more like inside her womb?") Did she know about Yui's death at the time or
was she unaware?
Last edited by Ash1969 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No my name is not a sex joke

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:26 am

It's probably pretty common knowledge among the cast. Asuka could have easily figured it out at any time, and she's guaranteed to have known it by the time Shinji visited his mother's grave in episode 15, having lived with him long enough to be aware of his schedule (which is primarily school and Nerv, which she's also there for). The day Shinji visited the cemetery was also the same day Asuka had her date with the faceless college student; it's interesting that they both deviate from their normal schedule on the same day, get away from each other for a bit, only to come home at the end of the day and have what is probably one of their first decent, casual conversations with one another (the S/A seeds are taking root :devil: ).

The odd thing is that they never talk about both having lost their mother, despite her knowing about that commonality between them. Asuka very probably kept that to herself, and Shinji would have had no clue until about episode 22, when Asuka's stepmother called her from Germany; Asuka subsequently tells Shinji that she isn't her real mother. This is also the same episode Kyoko is introduced, so really, it's the first time the audience is even made aware that Asuka's mother is dead as well.
Last edited by Sachi on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 am

Who knows. Considering they were both living in the same apartment at the time, it's likely Shinji told her about it on the day.

I know Shinji is introverted and shy, but he's capable of at least conversing with others about his private life to some extent.
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:It's probably pretty common knowledge among the cast. Asuka could have easily figured it out at any time, and she's guaranteed to have known it by the time Shinji visited his mother's grave in episode 15, having lived with him long enough to be aware of his schedule (which is primarily school and Nerv, which she's also there for). The day Shinji visited the cemetery was also the same day Asuka had her date with the faceless college student; it's interesting that they both deviate from their normal schedule on the same day, get away from each other for a bit, only to come home at the end of the day and have what is probably one of their first decent, casual conversations with one another (the S/A seeds are taking root :devil: ).

The odd thing is that they never talk about both having lost their mother's, despite her knowing about that commonality between them. Asuka very probably kept that to herself, and Shinji would have had no clue until about episode 22, when Asuka's stepmother called her from Germany; Asuka subsequently tells Shinji that she isn't her real mother. This is also the same episode Kyoko is introduced, so really, it's the first time the audience is even made aware that Asuka's mother is dead as well.

Well, Shinji did bring it up during the P3II sequence. It didn't really go anywhere, though.

The audience got hints that something was up with Asuka's past at the end of Episode 12.(Edit: 10 my bad) However, there was no indication at what that "something" was.
Last edited by Ash1969 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:22 pm

"Hey, Asuka, sorry, you'll need to make your own lunch today, I have to head out."
"Oh yea, what for?"
"Visiting my mother's...grave. With my father."
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:49 pm

Remember too that Yui's death was pretty high profile. Newspaper headlines, court case, the whole shebang. Not exactly hidden knowledge.

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:The audience got hints that something was up with Asuka's past at the end of Episode 12. However, there was no indication at what that "something" was.

There was Asuka crying for "mama" in her sleep in episode 09, and Asuka directly asks Misato "You know all about my past, don't you?" at the end of 10 (not 12).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:12 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Remember too that Yui's death was pretty high profile. Newspaper headlines, court case, the whole shebang. Not exactly hidden knowledge.

There was Asuka crying for "mama" in her sleep in episode 09, and Asuka directly asks Misato "You know all about my past, don't you?" at the end of 10 (not 12).

I can't believe I got those two mixed up! Oh well, no harm done. With that in mind:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:36 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There was Asuka crying for "mama" in her sleep in episode 09, and Asuka directly asks Misato "You know all about my past, don't you?" at the end of 10 (not 12).

Misato and Kaji are probably the only two people with a close relationship to Asuka that are aware of her history; a few of the top brass of Nerv with access to her files would know, but not care too much. A touchy subject for Asuka, for sure, that she wasn't eager to share with anybody, least of all baka Shinji.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Probably worth noting that all of the students in Shinji's class were listed as pilot candidates, meaning all of them (likely) lost their mothers. It probably wouldn't take them all that long to connect the dots, and at that point it would be common knowledge.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:54 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Probably worth noting that all of the students in Shinji's class were listed as pilot candidates, meaning all of them (likely) lost their mothers. It probably wouldn't take them all that long to connect the dots, and at that point it would be common knowledge.

But Shinji only found out in Episode 19 while he was talking with Misato. Did he ever go back to school after the fight with Zeruel?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”