Rei II rather than Rei III in Instrumentality

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:01 pm

thought it was pretty obvious that Rei, despite the gaps in her memory, was able to make the connection that of the two Ikaris, only one of them actually cared about her well-being and showed her any genuine human decency, and it wasn't the dude copping her tit like he owned it.

Hey! she was gasping in pleasure not pain.

I think that's just our wishful thinking. In EoE Rei's whole deal seems more of "I'm not a Doll." Then Shinji calls her. An interesting line was cut, where Rei thanks the Commander for his pure heart before answering Shinji's call.

In the series and EoTV though, it was a Rei x Gendo thing all the way. It was almost a "boy shows concern for empty girl, empty girl loves boy" anime cliche.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:06 pm

No response to this?

Though keep in mind, in order to get Rei's Best End, she has to have a high relationship value with somebody other than Gendo (and unlock various scenes/battles, including Lilith and Rei-1 in Eva-00 bugging her about getting the Fruit of Life).

Though the scenarios presented in NGE2 PS2/PSP aren't necessarily canon with the series itself--except for Shinji NGE/EoE Scenario 01--(Classified Information files 100% are, though), it does give excellent insight into our characters.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:In NGE2, Rei 2's best end is telling Gendo off and going to merge with Lilith, but killing them both so 3I doesn't occur. Her bad end choice/not clearing the Scenario is doing Gendo's 3I wishes.

Just some food for thought.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:13 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:No response to this?

Though keep in mind, in order to get Rei's Best End, she has to have a high relationship value with somebody other than Gendo (and unlock various scenes/battles, including Lilith and Rei-1 in Eva-00 bugging her about getting the Fruit of Life).

Though the scenarios presented in NGE2 PS2/PSP aren't necessarily canon with the series itself--except for Shinji NGE/EoE Scenario 01--(Classified Information files 100% are, though), it does give excellent insight into our characters.

I'm not sure how that relates to what I was talking about. One of the reasons we got Giant Naked Rei to begin with was that her soul was reunited with its missing part. If she embraces her identity as Lilith, there's no way she's coming back to earth regardless of what Shinji does during instrumentality.

Now, if it was Rei II in that situation, that's what I've been wondering about - whether Rei II is even a possibility for the end game, and whether it changes anything. Shinji avoids Rei in episode 24 and ends up having his heart broken by Kaworu. If Rei II had survived, could she have been the person he turned to instead?
Be warned, I may occasionally ask stupid questions.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Rei 3 has most of Rei 2's memories, but she has no emotional connection to them. So, Rei 2's attachment to Gendo -- which persevered to the moment of her death -- no longer means what it used to. It's no longer absolute. Rei 3 apparently comes to realize that Gendo was mostly using her -- treating her as a "doll" -- whereas Shinji showed genuine kindness and interest in her well-being.

I doubt Shinji would have turned to Rei after episode 24. He was pretty creeped out after the whole thing with the tank full of clones that giggled as they died.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:27 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Rei 3 has most of Rei 2's memories, but she has no emotional connection to them. So, Rei 2's attachment to Gendo -- which persevered to the moment of her death -- no longer means what it used to. It's no longer absolute. Rei 3 apparently comes to realize that Gendo was mostly using her -- treating her as a "doll" -- whereas Shinji showed genuine kindness and interest in her well-being.

I doubt Shinji would have turned to Rei after episode 24. He was pretty creeped out after the whole thing with the tank full of clones that giggled as they died.

So, no way Rei II would have turned against Gendo, then. On the other hand, Rei III must not have had the same emotional connection to Shinji that Rei II did, by that logic.

It must be that for any kind of scenario involving Rei II surviving, but not staying loyal to Gendo, there would need to be some fairly drastic changes far further back in the timeline than episode 22/23.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:42 pm

View Original PostSeoul Gamer wrote:So, no way Rei II would have turned against Gendo, then. On the other hand, Rei III must not have had the same emotional connection to Shinji that Rei II did, by that logic.

I guess what I was trying to say was, Rei 3 was able to put the unhealthy attachment to Gendo aside and view Rei 2's memories "with eyes unclouded". As such, she deemed that Shinji (who had treated Rei 2 as a person and not as a doll) was the one who deserved to helm HIP, not Gendo. That's the best I can come up with.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:10 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I guess what I was trying to say was, Rei 3 was able to put the unhealthy attachment to Gendo aside and view Rei 2's memories "with eyes unclouded". As such, she deemed that Shinji (who had treated Rei 2 as a person and not as a doll) was the one who deserved to helm HIP, not Gendo. That's the best I can come up with.

There's no inherent reason why Rei II couldn't come around to the same kind of thinking, though?

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 pm

I don't think so, she tells Asuka, yes she would kill herself if Gendo ordered her to. And on the next episode where she does sacrifice herself, her last thoughts are of Gendo. As devoted as she was, I doubt she would have turned on him.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:39 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:I don't think so, she tells Asuka, yes she would kill herself if Gendo ordered her to. And on the next episode where she does sacrifice herself, her last thoughts are of Gendo. As devoted as she was, I doubt she would have turned on him.

In that case, had Shinji managed to save Rei II, we would have seen a Gendo-controlled Third Impact, ironically enough.

So, the consensus so far is that Rei II very much has to die for the timelime to go the way it did, and thus end what little connection she had build up with Shinji up to that point?

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:40 pm

In that case, had Shinji managed to save Rei II, we would have seen a Gendo-controlled Third Impact, ironically enough.

Well you did see one in EoTV.

So, the consensus so far is that Rei II very much has to die for the timelime to go the way it did, and thus end what little connection she had build up with Shinji up to that point?

Maybe, depends on how much Shinji runs away too. If he confronted Rei instead of running away, who knows what could of happened. If you're trying to do a fanfic, then you're God. You can make the characters dance to whatever tune you want.

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:15 pm

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote:
Maybe, depends on how much Shinji runs away too. If he confronted Rei instead of running away, who knows what could of happened. If you're trying to do a fanfic, then you're God. You can make the characters dance to whatever tune you want.

Not quite. I'd rather keep things as plausible as possible. Character derailment isn't really my style.

On that note, I should probably make a thread like this in the fanfiction forum rather than the discussion - I
only just noticed it was even there.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:17 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I doubt Shinji would have turned to Rei after episode 24. He was pretty creeped out after the whole thing with the tank full of clones that giggled as they died.

That, along with the "Ayanami...and my mother" scene where it is at least implied that Shinji was realizing, if not necessarily completely or directly, that Rei and Yui are very closely connected (being genetically identical, hair and eye color notwithstanding) just about alienated Shinji from Rei entirely.

On an unrelated note, I feel a timeline of who and how Shinji becomes alienated from is in order - I can already think of a few off of the top of my head, and at least two occur during the same scene.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”