A few evangelion questions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FrozenStar
Embryo

A few evangelion questions

•      
  •      

Postby FrozenStar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi all, I was just wondering if someone can stop my brain hurting by answering some eva questions. I have tried to find the answers on the net but have come to a dead end.

I know that the Angels (excluding Adam and Lilith) come from Adam and humans come from Lilith. I also know that Eva 1 is a copy of Lilith and all the other evas are a copy of Adam. Or should I say this is what I believe I know :-)

Throughout the series it is said that if the Angels get into central dogma they can cause thrid impact, why is this?

What is it they would need to do to cause third impact?

At the start of the series they must be going there because of Lilith, but if thats the case then why can't they just make contact with Eva 1?

In End Of Eva what actually causes thrid impact, Rei seems to join Lilith, thus returning the soul to Lilith and it kind of wakes up and starts melting people making them all into one, but at the same time the mass production evas also do their own fancy Anti-AT field trick and then stick the Lance into Eva 1. I basically understand non of that.

If anyone can answer any of those I would be very gratefull, it also might stop this evil pain in my head :-)

Thank you
"When the going gets weird , the weird turn pro . " - Hunter S . Thompson.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Reichu will probably provide the exhaustive response but the headlines are:

EVA-01, like all the other Evangelions, is a scion of Adam (Adam no bunshin), though she was grown grafted upon Lilith.

3I is related to the "forbidden union" of Lilith and Adam.

In EoE Rei has absorbed Adam from Gendo's palm (by taking the whole hand) - you have seen the DC episodes, haven't you? - and the combined Lilith/Adam entity is a focus of the Complementation. The appearance of the Lance seems to be Yui's doing (it comes as a surprise to the SEELE conclave).

There is a lot going on here, as SEELE, Gendo and Yui are competing to have their hands on the reins as 3I goes down.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FrozenStar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FrozenStar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Thank you, that actually makes sense to me :-)

Just out of interest, how do you know that Eva 1 was grafted upon Lilith?

I have seen a few pictures (only on these forums) of two white beings joined at the legs and one had a mask on so I assumed that was Lilith, is the other being Eva 1?

I have the perfect and platinum version of Eva and I don't recall seing that picture anywhere, though I admit it may just be that I missed it. Where is the picture from?

Thank you again for your answers, my head hurts a lot less now :-)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:56 pm

The picture of Eva-01 growing upon Lilith, consuming her lower body, is from the Test Type OP; it also appeared superposed on the Reiquarium scene in the pre-Platinum version of the DC episode 23. (A lot of the Test Type images were shown in that version of the scene).

Whether it's grafting or incomplete birth is hard to tell.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FrozenStar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FrozenStar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 pm

Thank you again, I hadn't seen that before.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:17 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The picture of Eva-01 growing upon Lilith, consuming her lower body

Consumed the lower limbs and at work on the upper. The right arm is heavily atrophied, seeming to provide a hint as to what happened to the legs.

Whether it's grafting or incomplete birth is hard to tell.

What do you mean by "grafting"?

An "incomplete birth" always made the most sense to me. Considering the "atrophying limbs" scenario, that means the large, legs-sized mass that terminates in EVA-01's upper body is, essentially, coming from the same place that oozes LCL later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:19 pm

Reichu wrote:What do you mean by "grafting"?

This sense : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:04 pm

No one REALLY understands what the hell happened in Eoe, so don't feel bad. It's all really good guesswork at this point. :?

What I think happened is this: When Rei returned to Lilith, she sort of "synched" (for lack of a better term) with the MP Eva's and sort of worked together with them. The MP Evas were planning on using Shogouki as a Lilith substitute, using her to return humanity's newly freed souls to the black moon.

However, Rei shows up, and while she basically does what Seele wants, she does it for Shinji, who secretly desires the post-instrumentality world of one primordial, single minded entity. However, she does allow him a choice ("If it's too painful, you can make it stop...") which he takes, rejecting instrumentality.

Oops, forgot Yui. Oh well. :evil:

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:51 pm

one thing i wondered is if Shinji rejected 3I, then wouldn't all the souls return to their physical forms and everything would go back to normal? Why did Rei/Lilith just end up decomposing and falling back to earth?
This is something I never really got.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:58 pm

They have to imagine themselves within their own heart to come back.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:26 pm

i think he meant that if after 3I was initiated and Shinji said "h3lLs n0", would everything just like...

be "un-Evangelion'd"

<_<

>_>

>_<""

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:12 pm

No, it'd be a big ball of perfection.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:13 pm

Nukie wrote:When Rei returned to Lilith, she sort of "synched" (for lack of a better term) with the MP Eva's and sort of worked together with them.

Why were they needed in the first place? They're a bunch of crappy barely-Evas, and Lilith already has the Adam element right with here -- in Adam, and possibly in EVA-01 as well.

And what function did EVA-01 + Spear (ToL) serve in Lilith's scenario?

Apparently the ToL was formed during Second Impact, as well, but it becomes rather difficult to figure out the correlation, since Adam was busy blowing up / retroverting. That leaves us with no apparent entity to form the "base" of the Tree.

(Yes, I am being annoying on purpose. :D )

@Mundane: Avoid double-posting -- and triple-posting is definitely out. Learn to use the Edit button, please.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:15 pm

Reichu wrote:Why were they needed in the first place? They're a bunch of crappy barely-Evas, and Lilith already has the Adam element right with here -- in Adam, and possibly in EVA-01 as well.

Fork, yes. The only thing the harpies had going for them was their S2 engines.

Even a handful of BattleMechs could probably drop them without too much trouble!

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:22 pm

I don't mean to diss the Eva's or anything, but an AC (Armored Core for those of you who didn't play the bestest mech game ever) would rape, absolutely RAPE an Eva.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:23 pm

Wouldn't they still fall under "conventional weaponry"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:52 pm

Mundane wrote:I don't mean to diss the Eva's or anything, but an AC (Armored Core for those of you who didn't play the bestest mech game ever) would rape, absolutely RAPE an Eva.

Not likely, AT fields protect against that sort of thing.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:58 pm

It could not stand up the shoulder-mounted railgun.

I also believe the Karasawa MK-1 is modeled after the gun in NGE. The similarities are striking.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:22 pm

Mundane wrote:It could not stand up the shoulder-mounted railgun.

I also believe the Karasawa MK-1 is modeled after the gun in NGE. The similarities are striking.

I believe that the Shoulder Mounted railgun would run out of ammo before the AT field would over stress and collapse

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:31 pm

Reichu wrote:Wouldn't they still fall under "conventional weaponry"?

I suppose a watermelon-sized nickel-alloy slug electromagnetically propelled to hypersonic velocities is fairly conventional by NGE standards.

To beat an Eva, the idea 'Mech (a Mad Cat Mark II will do nicely) only has to blow off its power cable and find somewhere safe to spend the next five minutes. For the MP Evas, which don't seem to have a whole lot of AT fieldness, a few Clan Gauss rounds to the core ought to be enough.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”