The after effects of 2nd Impact (Flooding)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

The after effects of 2nd Impact (Flooding)

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 am

I'm very curious about this, just how much of the earth was flooded because of 2nd impact? I mean, when it shows you the world from space in the show it looks very much unchanged by the water levels that rose 15 years prior. Is that just a goof or am I missing something? Heck, most of Europe would be underwater due to it being low land, so how is the UK still one of the top dogs in the world? Wouldn't they have suffered heavy damage because of 2nd impact, and I know everyone has recovered from 2nd Impact at the time the show takes place, but by then the balance of power would have shifted greatly. Thoughts?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:00 am

Here's an easy way to visualise the effects of any selected rise up to 60m in the level of the oceans:

[url]http://flood.firetree.net/[/url]

You will note that most of Europe (sorry Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark!) remains dry at 60m, and even much of the UK.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You will note that most of Europe (sorry Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark!) remains dry at 60m, and even much of the UK.

China on the other hand...
Oh yeah and Florida and Bangladesh are completely wiped off the map.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:58 am

But at least the Aral Sea will return! :D
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Here's an easy way to visualise the effects of any selected rise up to 60m in the level of the oceans:

http://flood.firetree.net/

How weird; my hometown is flooded almost completely at 60 meters, but it stops a couple hundred meters before my parents' place. :lol: I guess they would get a house by the water side if that happened.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:36 am

Related thread -- http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13329/Post-2I-Sea-Level-Rise-and-Climate-Change/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:55 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Here's an easy way to visualise the effects of any selected rise up to 60m in the level of the oceans:

[url]http://flood.firetree.net/[/url]

You will note that most of Europe (sorry Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark!) remains dry at 60m, and even much of the UK.

Thanks, that was very useful. However, many of the major cities in the UK are gone, notably London and a few others. There would barely be a country left, neither mind a Government playing top dog on the world stage. Although, I thought the effects of the rising sea levels would have been more severe, hmm.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Related thread -- http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13329/Post-2I-Sea-Level-Rise-and-Climate-Change/

I'll check that out, thanks.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Alright, here's a worse problem: Asuka leaves from Wilhelmshaven, which is... pretty much underwater at only one meter's rise.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Good catch!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:11 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Alright, here's a worse problem: Asuka leaves from Wilhelmshaven, which is... pretty much underwater at only one meter's rise.

That is a good catch. While I think Gainax likely just didn't consider that it would be underwater, maybe a new Wilhelmshaven was built but nobody wanted to call it "New" Wilhelmshaven (rather they renamed the old one Old Wilhemshaven).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Wilhelmshaven simply operates like Venice, Italy after Second Impact. Problem solved. (Venice, on the other hand, finally sinks in the drink.)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:59 pm

As far as the US is concerned, the state that seems to have the most risk of getting totally submerged is Delaware, though Florida and Louisiana don't look to fare too well either.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:06 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:As far as the US is concerned, the state that seems to have the most risk of getting totally submerged is Delaware, though Florida and Louisiana don't look to fare too well either.

More specifically, those of us in Virginia lose Norfolk, Quantico and the capital. Basically our biggest Navy base, Marine base, and of course the Pentagon.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:10 pm

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:More specifically, those of us in Virginia lose Norfolk, Quantico and the capital. Basically our biggest Navy base, Marine base, and of course the Pentagon.

Well, boat floats, so it's not really a problem! :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:52 pm

I vaguely recall that the submerged city seen in episode 08 should not be submerged, but someone else will have to double-check this.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:22 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wilhelmshaven simply operates like Venice, Italy after Second Impact. Problem solved. (Venice, on the other hand, finally sinks in the drink.)

That's not very reasonable, given that Venice is built on islands, and Wilhelmshaven is completely sunk, and that the country for miles is sunk, and I doubt there'd be enough motivation to build a floating city in the middle of the ocean to serve as a port... and you'd need some other massive, functional port to even do so, I'd imagine, making it rather pointless.
Wilhelmshaven-2 is more reasonable, especially given what's happened with the name Tokyo.
View Original PostReichu wrote:I vaguely recall that the submerged city seen in episode 08 should not be submerged, but someone else will have to double-check this.

Moreover, the city seems far too deeply submeged, though I'm terrible with distance-judgment.
The only justification I can find is some kind of... earthquake. That throws the coast into the ocean, or something.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 am

Yokohama is far too deeply submerged - as in a couple of hundred meters under water. There's no way that should've been possible even after the mess post-2I. I vaguely recall that the N2 weapons used during the 2000 war caused sections of the coast to subside, or something like that...not that it made any sense.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Good catch!

The topic of flooding after Second Impact is a tricky one. If it was just the polar ice melted that'd be one thing, but that's not all that happened -- Antarctica itself, an entire continent, was destroyed. Depending on how far down the destruction went that could actually lead to sea level regression instead of rise. That obviously isn't the case here, since we've been told sea levels went up, but it's still tough to tell just how much since we have to factor lost land mass into the equation as well.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:07 am

I can comprehend sea level rise due to ice melting, but my brain gets stuck on sea level declining due to the destruction of a continent. Are we talking destruction as in "blown into itty bitty chunks", in which case all of the matter comprising said continent is still on Earth and hypothetically displacing sea water, or destruction as in vaporized into gas or atomized into energy or something? The answer will probably make me feel stupid.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:13 am

If 2I blew enough of the ice into space, or vaporized enough ocean water to create weird stuff like the pillars of salt, it might actually have brought the sea level down. But Antarctica is actually a continent that's depressed under the sheer weight of the ice covering it and if the ice covering it were to be rid of, it would rise over tens or hundreds of thousands of years.

So...I'd say it's pretty messed up.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”