Did you experience this after watching The End of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kamon-san
Adam

Did you experience this after watching The End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 am

Hello everyone,

I've been on this board for a couple of years but this question is something I always wondered if I should ask. It's nothing groundbreaking or shocking, but it's something that's been on my mind for a long time. I'll try to make my question as clear as possible. It's a bit difficult to phrase because it's kind of an abstract concept so I'll give a brief explanation of my case before.

When I watched The End of Evangelion I was about 14. I remember that back then I owned the original series on VHS and I had watched it a couple of times. I had read the manga even more times (up to volume 6) and I felt very familiar with the characters, the locations and the overall setting of Eva. Anime was still something new to me, but Evangelion felt like something I could relate to on a deeper level. I loved the characters and the story, but I also enjoyed a lot of the more visual aspects of the show. This is what I'll try to focus on and explain.

I've always payed a lot of attention to the scenery/setting a story takes place in. I never understood why, but it's something that seems to have a lot of importance for me. In Evangelion I always loved the various locations; Misato's apartment, Tokyo III, the Fortress City and it's various buildings (weapon cache, turrets, cables, missile launchers, elevators, etc), the flooded ruins (I drew these ruins so much), Shinji's school, NERV HQ...

[I could go on about the locations for a while and describe everything they evoke to me in detail, but not only would that be a massive wall of text, but also I don't think it would keep a lot of people's interest. :lol: It's really a personal quirk, it seems. I'll get back to the main subject:]

When I watched The End of Evangelion, some pretty powerful images were forever imprited into my memory. Maybe it's because I'm very visual, I don't know, but I can clearly say that after seeing The End of Evangelion I could never see the original series in the same way. I know that this much is obvious and is (probably?) the case for everybody, but I'll try to explain why I mentioned the locations before.

In the movie, we see a lot of the familiar locations we grew accustomed too during the series be violently destroyed or used as the setting for sometimes disturbing, sometimes violent or sometimes even scary scenes. I'll give a couple of the first examples that come to mind:

-Tokyo III, now completely destroyed and flooded.
SPOILER: Show

-The gates (where we see Shinji, Rei and Asuka scan their cards to access Central Dogma during the series) where the NERV guards get killed at the beginning of the invasion.

-The footbridges (where we see Misato and Shinji being lost at the beginning of the series) where the UN forces are engaging NERV personel.

-The vending machines (we see quite a bit of them in NERV HQ during the series) when we see a NERV officer desperately trying to pull her fellow coworker and being shot multiple times.

-The corridors of NERV HQ filled with the corpses of the personel killed by the invading forces.

-The MAGI, more specifically where the three bridge bunnies and Fuyutsuki make their last stand and spend their final moments during 3rd Impact.
(and that poor Ibuki... :sniffle: )
...plus this...

-The Geofront completely exposed.

-The NERV ''pyramid'' after suffering some abuse.

-Misato's apartement, when Shinji strangles Asuka (that scene...)

Plus some moments that sent shivers down my spine, not all ''location related'', but more ''hard to forget imagery'':
(I will spare myself from taking screenshots of the Eva Series growing Rei faces...)

...and to finish, this final appearance of Rei, which is far too reminiscent of her first:

ALRIGHT. The exemples end here. (writing this post sure has taken me more time and work than I originally thought it would... :lol: ) Let's get back to the topic at hand:

When I watched The End of Evangelion, seeing the locations I had grown acustomed to during the series being the stage to these events (and/or being destroyed) really made me feel uneasy. Of course seeing the characters go through all that was MUCH MUCH worse. I had never been so horrified by a movie before, and the fact that it served as the conclusion to a series I had grown to love deeply made it all the more unsettling. I didn't understand it well back then and the ending had left me feeling a large emptiness inside, as well a nauseous feeling. I didn't feel like eating, talking to anyone or doing anything. I just went for a long walk under the rain. It took me days to even dare get close to anything Eva related, but I just couldn't get the movie out of my mind. I wanted to understand.

I decided to rewatch the series to give myself a fresh start.

That's when it happened. Memories of the movie began to come back to me when certain things showed up in the series.

When I saw Misato's apartement, I thought of the strangling scene.
When I saw the Magi, I thought of the bridge bunnies and their final moments during 3rd Impact.
When I saw the vending machines in NERV HQ, I thought of that horrible scene with that poor officer.
When I saw the gates to Central Dogma, I thought of the invasion.
When I saw Tokyo III in all its epicness, I thought of how it would be a giant flooded crater in the end.

...and so forth.

I began to realize that the pictures I had seen in the movie had truly scarred me when it came to watching Eva. All the characters' struggles, all the events of the series, the action scenes, the tender moments, the humorous scenes, all leading to THAT MOVIE. I couldn't forget what I had seen, it was done. It would never be the same. I would never be the same.

It took me A LOT of time to come to terms with The End of Evangelion and be able to admit with certainty that I can enjoy watching it from time to time. I was able to watch it with friends and discuss it here several years later, and now in retrospective I can even make fun of the movie and it quirks. I'm glad I saw it, but the impression it left on me is nothing short of memorable. :wink:

So here's my question:

Did any of you experience something similar after watching The End of Evangelion? Is anyone as focused on the locations seen in the series as me? :tongue: I would love to read your thoughts on this subject!

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 am

If it's about certain settings getting destroyed or being shell-shocked after watching NGE and especially EoE, then I can say this anime is like Apocalypse Now.

In case of characters, atmosphare, themes and aesthetics they have something in common. And even the ending of EoE is like the one from Apocalypse Now in wich one certain person speaks the last words after a long silence before the film ends.

What would've fitted too in EoE is a ending credits like this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIgdaZ-EQTM&pxtry=1

Wich would work like footage about Nerv HQ getting raided or about some places around the world during 3I.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:10 am

This is actually a topic worthy of Discussion rather than Chit-Chat, so I'm moving it. That's a very good set of images.

Having spoiled myself beforehand pretty thoroughly, I never really experienced the same effect - the locations in the series were still the same they were even after the horrors of EoE.

Hideaki Anno based much of the invasion of Nerv on an old war movie, the Battle of Okinawa (down to flamethrower usage), which explains why the deaths are so graphic. It does raise the question of whether the feeling you had was something that Anno intended - whether he simply chose the locations they had established earlier to create a sense of continuity or because Anno wanted the locations we had familiarized ourselves with turn deeply disturbing.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 am

I exorcised all the emotional bludgeoning that makes up EoE over the succeeding months via fix-fic -- pummeling it into daijoubu.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:04 am

Yes, although not as profoundly as you did. There was definitely the sense of a threshold being passed, of the "end" in EoE being the violent destruction of places and people that had been ordinary. Everyone expects the main characters to go through some pain, trauma, or even death, but the civilian deaths shown in the movie were shocking and totally unexpected for me.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the hospital scene. In a lot of the hospital scenes in the show, the children are shown visiting the injured party or waiting outside the door. The same thing happens in EoE, except that the situation quickly changes into something disturbing.

I'm probably not wording it very well, the idea I'm getting at is that the hospital is "defiled" in the same way that these other memorable locations are, except with sexual assault in the place of murderous physical violence.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:53 am

I'm surprised you didn't mention the hospital scene. In a lot of the hospital scenes in the show, the children are shown visiting the injured party or waiting outside the door. The same thing happens in EoE, except that the situation quickly changes into something disturbing.

I'm probably not wording it very well, the idea I'm getting at is that the hospital is "defiled" in the same way that these other memorable locations are, except with sexual assault in the place of murderous physical violence.

Compiling_Autumn: I didn't mention the hospital scene but I did think about it too after writing my post. As I was going through the movie to make screencaps of all the scenes I showed in my post, I skipped over that scene unintentionally it seems. I can only agree with your point.

It looks just like the corridor Shinji is seen in at the beginning of the series when he wakes up after his first battle in Eva 01:

Hideaki Anno based much of the invasion of Nerv on an old war movie, the Battle of Okinawa (down to flamethrower usage), which explains why the deaths are so graphic. It does raise the question of whether the feeling you had was something that Anno intended - whether he simply chose the locations they had established earlier to create a sense of continuity or because Anno wanted the locations we had familiarized ourselves with turn deeply disturbing.

UrsusArctos: That's interesting information, I had no idea about the Battle of Okinawa being an inspiration for the invasion. =)

I also wonder if it was intended by Anno. I mean, of course he would use the same locations for continuity, but did he expect people to react like I did? It's something we could never know for sure, but I certainly am curious to know if other watchers reacted like I did. (or even more interesting if it triggered something entirely different! :wink: )

I exorcised all the emotional bludgeoning that makes up EoE over the succeeding months via fix-fic -- pummeling it into daijoubu.

Mr.Tines: I had never heard the term ''Fix-fic'' before, but after doing some research on the subject I think I can see what you mean. Maybe I kind of hoped to stumble across something like this back then, but I never did; I just ended up rewatching the series over and over instead. :hahaha:[/spoiler]

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Did you experience this after watching The End of Evange

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:15 pm

View Original PostKamon-san wrote:I didn't understand it well back then and the ending had left me feeling a large emptiness inside, as well a nauseous feeling. I didn't feel like eating, talking to anyone or doing anything. I just went for a long walk under the rain. It took me days to even dare get close to anything Eva related, but I just couldn't get the movie out of my mind. I wanted to understand.

I had something similar to this, but not quite. While I didn't feel like doing anything or being around anyone, I was frantically reading everything that I could about Evangelion. Everything that I didn't understand or was a little sketchy on, I read everything I could find. I read about Anno, the release of things, the reception...everything. I was totally captivated by it. After a few days I finally slowed down a bit and managed to be my usual sociable self. Thankfully it was during the summer holidays and I wasn't employed at the time, so I didn't have anything to distract me.
I'm yet to find something else that replicate this on any level, and it's one of the few reasons why Evangelion holds a very dear place in my heart. My friend who I got to watch the show was the same, except he had me to talk to. When I finished it no one that I knew had watched the show, so I was restricted to the internet for talking about it. And now, 2/3 years later, all of close friends have watched it as I basically forced them all to :lol:

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:14 pm

This kind of makes me wish NGE was much longer (as it was intended). I think the impact of seeing everything go to hell in EoE would be a lot more heart wrenching if we had more episodes to get accustomed to the surroundings. I mean we barely see anything in Tokyo III besides when the Angels are attacking. It would have been great if earlier in the series, we saw some scenes of Shinji and the other kids walking around the busy streets, going to cafés or exploring the malls (whatever 14 year olds kids do to pass the time) and then as the series goes on, we see the population decrease, stores and venues close down and eventually it's a ghost town up until it gets blown up by Rei II.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 pm

View Original PostLukeMM95 wrote:This kind of makes me wish NGE was much longer (as it was intended). I think the impact of seeing everything go to hell in EoE would be a lot more heart wrenching if we had more episodes to get accustomed to the surroundings. I mean we barely see anything in Tokyo III besides when the Angels are attacking. It would have been great if earlier in the series, we saw some scenes of Shinji and the other kids walking around the busy streets, going to cafés or exploring the malls (whatever 14 year olds kids do to pass the time) and then as the series goes on, we see the population decrease, stores and venues close down and eventually it's a ghost town up until it gets blown up by Rei II.

Yes! I can't agree more! I always thought this was an aspect of Evangelion that was overlooked a bit. As a matter of fact, two years ago I wrote a scenario for an Eva roleplaying tabletop game I organized for two of my friends. They had to create original Eva pilots and I was the ''game master'', putting them in various situations (battles, everyday life scenes, training at NERV, school, etc). We went through all of the Angels and so many scenarios, it was great. The reason I'm mentioning this is because what you described is something I truly tried to put emphasis on.

At the beginning of our story, Tokyo III was a busy city and I always took the time to describe how lively the streets were. I made them explore the city, go to fun places and grow accustomed to many MANY things. Of course, as everything went to hell, I slowly began to take these things away from them. ;) The city became quieter and quieter, the stores closed, they had to stop going to school and eventually Tokyo III was destroyed.

It was wonderful. :lol:

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:59 pm

This is a really through-provoking thread about NGE and EOE.

I am on the same boat as UrsusArctos with heavily spoiling myself before I ended up watching the series. This I 100% believe hurt my viewing experience.

All-thought I think for everyone (at least me -o-; ) part of the unsettling (ness?) of Evangelion is the fact that it has such a rapid and different conclusion to what the show began as. When I think of EoE the one thing that like to pop-up in my mind is how everything that Gainax built for us in 24 episodes(26? do we include the last two?) gets completely and utterly destroyed. I am sure everyone has heard someone else joke about how un-necessarily brutal the JSSDF's invasion of Nerv HQ is. Then from people getting massacred to the drop of the big N2 mine blowing open the Geo-Front adding insult to what ReiII did a few episodes earlier. It's almost like Anno was telling everyone this is the start of not being the movie ending that everyone thought it was going to be.

Then comes Third Impact and everyone getting turned into LCL and the world from my perspective is no longer identifiable as the same world that we went through 24 episodes with. Lastly comes the Final moments of EoE, Shinji and Asuka laying on a beach I am certain was not a shown location in the earlier episodes. Can anyone tell from those last moments where in Japan they are? I don't think you are suppose to. Also with the 9 crucified MPEs and GNR's body on the land along with the blood red sea of LCL the viewer is left with a world that they don't know, which was created from the the destroyed world they are get use to through-out the series.

This combined with the fact on a character stand point how both the ending is full-filling and un-full-filling(?) makes the EoE unsettling.

Anyone else get chills every time they see the final moments of EoE regardless of how many times said person has watched it? The fact that everything has been destroyed I think helps out with that feeling to anyone answering "Yes" to my question.

Now along with re-watching the series, NGE is the only recent anime that in my opinion has been worth a re-watch(I am still limited on what anime I have seen), but it is hard to watch a show a second time over and not think of how everything (especially NGE) effects the outcome. Therefor this would trigger you to think about the events in EoE as you are on X rewatch. Also with Evangelion everyone re-watches it so they can start actually connecting pieces together and help them understand why the events in Evangelion unfold in the way that they do.

With that being said, while I am not to the same level you are Kamon it is uneasy to look at locations and be like... "Man that is going to get wrecked come the End of Evangelion."

Lastly(and this might be long) what happened to me after I watched NGE and EoE for the first time. Well to start off I actually watched the show within two days. This was July 4-5, 2014 or rather this summer. I remember finishing EoE like late noon and I remember for that first week afterwards I made absolutely sure I had next to zero social contact with my family or friends. I was so [insert amazement word here] that I could not get Evangelion out of my mind. I went online and read absolutely everything I could find on Evangelion just trying to understand it. After that first week I started being more social with my family. But my basically obsession that I had with Evangelion after I watched it would not stop until early September. Like for a whole 2 months I could not find myself to play video games or watch anything that wasn't Evangelion related. It was only that last week of August to early September that I managed to get my mindset well enough for school. I also at that point also watched Gurren Lagann and Code Geass. Look even now I still can stop talking about how good the NGE is. :lol: :lol:

So that was my experience after watching Evangelion for the first time. Also if someone had insight on why I or somebody wouldn't be able to move on from a show for two month please enlighten me. I still can't figure out what made me stay on Evangelion for so long.

Edit- Also Kamon I hope this kinda goes in the direction of an answer you wanted. :hahaha:
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:14 pm

[Just a quick update]

I began to take screen captures of the original series, more specifically of the various locations used throughout the show. It's really fun for me and it's interesting to see which particular shots or locations are re-used. :wink:

Once it's done, I'll post a few comparisons with The End of Evangelion.

Also, Sicarius VI: I can't help but agree, it really feels like Gainax went all the way with trying to destroy everything we came to know during the series in the movie. Everytime we saw a familiar setting in the movie and I tried to reassociate it with the series, something terrible would happen to it.

The End of Evangelion is powerful on so many levels...

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:42 pm

View Original PostLukeMM95 wrote:This kind of makes me wish NGE was much longer (as it was intended).

Not to go off topic, but this is the first I've heard of this one. Where was this stated?

On topic, I too had EoE spoiled. I knew it went to hell when I started. I was semi familiar with all the fucked up things that happened, because I had friends who were into the show growing up, and when I got to it in adulthood, I had already looked up some EoE scenes prior.

I will say this however. Rebuild 3.33 TOTALLY gave me that effect. I watched that shit unspoiled, and it had very similar imagery of old locations in ruin with just terrible things happening. I was left in a similar state after that movie. This is after I've invested so much time in the original series, and have researched the events to hell here. And that movie was a very different kind of hellish set of events. I don't know if you've seen that movie and had similar feelings.\, but if you don't mind me asking, did you?

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 pm

I was lucky not to have anything spoiled, and I agree that EoE was pretty hellish; I couldn't really put my feelings into words after watching it so perhaps there was a similar attachment going on. It should definitely be noted that we do see all Hell breaking loose before the movie begins in the preview for episode 25 of NGE, albeit in rough storyboard form. I can remember clearly seeing the impending chaos and being disappointed when it wasn't present in the next episode (however when I eventually found EoE there was a sudden feeling of something I'd call "Dreaded Anticipation" for what was to come). I like TheCruel's comparison to Apocalypse Now; witnessing the destruction of something you are familiar with and have invested hours watching in the most violent way possible: "...The horror..." (not to mention this time it was man, not the angels which began the assault. Very unnerving indeed).
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:24 am

I remember the movie ending and myself falling out of the chair I was sitting on. Only film to ever make me do that.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:39 am

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:Not to go off topic, but this is the first I've heard of this one. Where was this stated?

It's pretty common knowledge that NGE changed a lot during production, mostly due to how they were constantly racing to meet their deadline. For example there was originally going to be 28 angels instead of 17. You can probably find tons of sources backing up the fact that the final product of NGE is drastically different to the original idea.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:58 am

View Original PostTomasJC wrote:we do see all Hell breaking loose before the movie begins in the preview for episode 25 of NGE, albeit in rough storyboard form.
The DC episode 24 folded in the available animatics to be a PV for EoE, which is where that version goes next. The OA episode 24 PV refers to episode 25 as we got it.

View Original PostLukeMM95 wrote:For example there was originally going to be 28 angels instead of 17.
A lot of the proposal material had clearly been abandoned by the time production actually started.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:27 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A lot of the proposal material had clearly been abandoned by the time production actually started.

The more you know ^_^

sentiospoot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sentiospoot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:00 pm

I completely felt this too. I remember being literally shaky after finishing this movie - like, I had to go hug my mom, 'cause I just felt so emotionally drained and scared and disturbed and I couldn't explain exactly why. Explaining the way I felt about "End of Evangelion" after watching it is still weird, but I always told my friends it was something like chewing through Advil. I'm probably the only one stupid enough to have done that, but let me assure you, the inside of an Advil is literally the most vile, disgusting taste on the face of the Earth - seriously, I actually *shiver* thinking about it. It's god-awful and it's painful and it sticks to the inside of your mouth like putty, so even if you try to spit it out it stays for *days* and makes you recoil every time you accidentally brush your tongue over the wrong part of your mouth. But the only way to really get rid of it is to swallow it. You have to taste it so that you can dissolve and dislodge the gross putty-pill. And at the end of the day, it's still a painkiller.

Basically, I'm trying to say that this was a really difficult film to stomach (to me, at least) and probably the only movie I've ever honestly struggled to finish, not because it was gory or scary, but just because I wasn't sure I wanted to see whatever was going to happen next. It completely changed the way I thought about this series and the way I thought about media. It was an experience pretty much unlike anything else I'd ever seen. And yeah, like you, I feel like it took me a long time to come to terms with it.

But once you get past the initial punch to the gut, it's really a beautiful movie. It has a lot to say, and a lot of worthy, important, life-affirming things to say. I saw a comment on youtube once that stuck with me - "If I could choose one word to describe EoE with, it would be 'terrible'. Not in the sense that it was bad, but in a biblical sense. Cruel and epic, a real nightmare... It's about the human condition. It's about things, fragile and beautiful things, that are worth living and loving for, even on the darkest days." Even in the face of Armageddon.

It's a powerful film, in the best and worst ways. And I'd agree that at least some of that power comes from the movie's ability to twist and reinvent its own previously established canon (sorta like how the original series twisted and reinvented the familiar formula of shonen and anime as a whole... which is irrelevant but kinda cool. Repeat from the beginning.)

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but yeah, ditto. That feeling of almost existential dread, coming out of End of Eva, is one of the things that put made Evangelion itself such a personal and evolving experience.
Goodbye Blue Monday!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 pm

I sat there and stared at the TV for about ten minutes. Then I went up and got a Coke.

Rarely do I drink a Coke with the third eye open.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”