Fuyutsuki's Last Words

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Cirk
Embryo

Fuyutsuki's Last Words

•      
  •      

Postby Cirk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:44 am

Not sure if this goes in Discussion, but when Fuyutsuki said "Ikari, did you also finally get to see Yui again?" before he got tanged in EoE, was he talking to Rei, referring to her as Ikari, or was he talking to Yui, or Gendo, or was it a mistranslation in the dub, or what? I've been really confused about this but just now decided to finally make a thread.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:50 am

:huh: I'm confused that you're confused. What's the ambiguity here? He's called Gendo "Ikari" throughout the series.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Cirk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cirk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

But Gendo wasn't there so I don't know why he said it to Rei/Yui

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:00 am

It's Kind of like "I wonder if you got to see Yui again"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:02 am

He was talking to Gendo in absentia. You've never seen people in fiction talk to people who weren't there as if they were?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Cirk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cirk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:14 am

I understand characters talking to others who weren't there as if they were, but not talking to them while actually saying it to someone else, which confused me as to who he was actually speaking to, you know what I'm saying?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:08 am

He was talking to himself, in a "well it's the end of the word, I wonder if Ikari (Gendo) managed to finally get to see Yui again." sense.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:32 am

Also probably talking to the apparitions that is about to get him tanged, and the only person he felt any real affection was Yui, therefore because he saw Yui, as a kind of last thoughts about his former student he was wondering if Gendo also saw Yui like he did.

Essentially, he saw Yui, and is a last comment wondering if his former pupil saw the same thing. (therefore, last moment of happiness?)

Probably also belongs in chit-chat methinks unless the final words of Fuyutsuki could have a much broader meaning to the narrative of Evangelion. (and one can wring out a suitable discussion with theories)
I feel old

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:39 am

Discussion subforum is fine.
System Administrator

fizz450_03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fizz450_03 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:26 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:He was talking to himself, in a "well it's the end of the word, I wonder if Ikari (Gendo) managed to finally get to see Yui again." sense.

This.

It was pretty obvious that he was referring to Gendo :wink:

One thing that strikes me odd though. When Gendo stood up for the last time and left the comm to old man Fuyutsuki, the latter said "Say hello to Yui for me" (to that effect, i forgot the exact words) while Gendo walked past him ... does it indicate that Fuyutsuki was doubtful, or had some doubts, of being able to see Yui as well?
only mankind would be foolish enough to harness the engine of it's own destruction

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 am

Fuyutski knew Gendo's motive and plan, but he probably didn't know the exact mechanics of Quantum Rei showing everyone their heart's desire in order to break down their AT Field, and thus had no idea (until it happened) that he would ever have the opportunity to see Yui again himself.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”