Relation between story/setting and message in evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Javik
Adam

Relation between story/setting and message in evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:28 pm

I want to discuss something specific concerning Evangelion. The show has a fairly detailed setting and and rather complicated story lain with an emphasis on psychological themes. Both of these are very strong elements but I'm wondering how they blend together. On the one hand you have this story filled with crazy concepts, mecha based on aliens, secret organizations, clones and stuff like that. On the other I have a boy who's having an existential crisis and a story focusing on escapism. How do these two mix?

Basically, how does the complicated setting complement the psychological themes of the story?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:28 am

By bringing in an appropriate amount of magic (as required for the super-robot set-up), the story can make literal what would be left as entirely metaphorical in a mundane setting (the "NERV as Shinji's psychotic episodes" reading of the story notwithstanding).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:By bringing in an appropriate amount of magic (as required for the super-robot set-up), the story can make literal what would be left as entirely metaphorical in a mundane setting (the "NERV as Shinji's psychotic episodes" reading of the story notwithstanding).
Thanks, it's so obvious now that you say it.

I guess instrumentality is also part of this. On the one hand it's a part of the lore and a specific event, but it's also used as metaphor for escaping reality.

Additionally I think it's interesting how shows/comic book/games will often follow the premise that a boy finds some sort of power, weapon, robot that gives him enormous power serve are in some sense a form of escapism. And here we have a show about escapism using just that premise.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:40 pm

I think the show does it fairly well. The fans, on the other hand...well, it bothers me when people focus on the minutiae of the setting and ignore what it means.

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:05 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:I think the show does it fairly well. The fans, on the other hand...well, it bothers me when people focus on the minutiae of the setting and ignore what it means.
Mind elaborating a bit on the topic? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:39 pm

My comment was basically the result of years of reading people obsess over the FAR and AT physics. Because, of course, that's what the show is really about. :facepalm: I mean, Tsurumaki and others have denied religious underpinnings to the show, but the characters spend so much time discussing God and Man that those themes, ironically enough, are actually closer to the heart of the show than anything in the official backstory.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:59 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:By bringing in an appropriate amount of magic

That being all of it.

All the magic.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:magic

Chuckman wrote:magic

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASw32qKppMw[/url]
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:32 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:My comment was basically the result of years of reading people obsess over the FAR and AT physics. Because, of course, that's what the show is really about. :facepalm: I mean, Tsurumaki and others have denied religious underpinnings to the show, but the characters spend so much time discussing God and Man that those themes, ironically enough, are actually closer to the heart of the show than anything in the official backstory.
But you can't just ignore the setting. Sure, the show conveys an important message, but that's not the only part of the narrative. Robots, surreal-looking aliens and clones of dead mothers are all part of the narrative as well. The meaning of the show is fairly simple and its message is rather simple, on the other hand the elements of the story and the setting are much more obscure and presented in a convoluted way. The interesting part is trying to put those elements together. And it's as much a part of the series as the message.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 pm

In the proposal it describes the show as being the story of Tokyo-3. We cover people moving in to the city; the fortress fighting; and the destruction of the city. This is all brought down to a personal level with the story of Shinji. I wouldn't read too much beyond Anno likes cities a lot.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original PostJavik wrote:But you can't just ignore the setting. Sure, the show conveys an important message, but that's not the only part of the narrative. Robots, surreal-looking aliens and clones of dead mothers are all part of the narrative as well. The meaning of the show is fairly simple and its message is rather simple, on the other hand the elements of the story and the setting are much more obscure and presented in a convoluted way. The interesting part is trying to put those elements together. And it's as much a part of the series as the message.

Yes, but all those elements are ultimately in service to the larger message. Therefore, discussion of those elements shouldn't overwhelm or supersede the message. Of course, it's fun! But it's not the most important part of the series.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”