question about eva mass production model

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kuramomotaro
Embryo

question about eva mass production model

•      
  •      

Postby kuramomotaro » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:47 am

¿how can eva mass production model sees without eyes? thx
block

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:51 am

Likely some kind of sonar or other form of mechanical feedback.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:01 am

In all honesty, the Mass Produced Evas probably are blind, given their slow reflexes during their battle with Unit-02. The eyes on the rest of the Evas provide visuals for the pilots inside, but the MPEs run on a Dummy Plug and have no pilots so the eyes may have been unnecessary.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:06 am

They don't have eyes because where we're going we don't need eyes to see.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:18 am

Possibly sonar or radar, or some other form of detection that does not require visible organs. After all, weirder Angels like Ramiel and Leliel were able to detect things without having obvious sensory organs - something similar to whatever they were using might have been installed in the MP Evas.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They don't have eyes because where we're going we don't need eyes to see.

Care to put that in plain english?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Firetrout
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Firetrout » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:49 pm

I've always assumed they used their AT Field to detect things in their immediate area or had hidden cameras plastered everywhere. I mean, those things are huge, it wouldn't be that hard to put some small cameras somewhere and not have them visible.

Or they're guided by Plot Navigation Systems.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Cameras would work perfectly well, - but it begs the question about why they don't have eyes in the first place, or at least exposed eyes. Either they lack eyes altogether due to the weird shape of their head, or they have something else to substitute for the eyes, or their eyes are covered by the armor on purpose.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:04 pm

A suitably high-resolution radar does it for me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Radar does have its limitations, after all. The Russians have the habit of fitting infrared/optical/laser suites onto their latest fighters precisely to counter the American superiority in stealth aircraft, which makes such a thing rational to incorporate into a "realistic" solution to the lack of eyes. Having the MP Evas with a high-resolution radar, sonar, and a full infrared/optical/laser suite would be awesome, but somehow I think that's not the case (more out of intuition than reason, admittedly).

kuramomotaro
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kuramomotaro » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:09 pm

thanks for all of your answers
the eva mass production model in effect is a dummy system and technically not need eyes , but even the machines need cameras or sensors, if the EVAS is based in the biology of the angels, maybe his "eyes" not have a conventional form...(¿the "marks" in her heads? ) on other side i re-watched the battle of the mass model eva's, and the inside of his head was exposed revealing a really big "brain" in comparison..and remember the seele side have been made this evas far beyond the limitations of a pilot, so ¿how about of some manner of "location" using that giant brain? ¿psychic?
block

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Related thread -- http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/679/Windows-To-The-Soul/
Relevant quote therefrom

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Like the Pinball Wizard, they probably play by sense of smell...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:11 pm

It's nice to see The Who are still relevant.

I don't have any problem in them being blind and simply relying on all other senses; no radar or sonar. It serves to make them more animalistic and somewhat more grotesque - in a way.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:55 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Cameras would work perfectly well, - but it begs the question about why they don't have eyes in the first place, or at least exposed eyes. Either they lack eyes altogether due to the weird shape of their head, or they have something else to substitute for the eyes, or their eyes are covered by the armor on purpose.

Keep in mind that the Evangelion units don't really need to have anything that look like eyes- hell, they don't even need to have a human shape.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Keep in mind that the Evangelion units don't really need to have anything that look like eyes- hell, they don't even need to have a human shape.

Do we know this for a very fact, though? I don't think it was ever mentioned in canon whether or not this is true. I know I'm mixing series here but I always assumed the EVAs were like the Kirijo robots in Persona 3/4A, where a human shape and look are necessary for an ego to form and a persona to emerge. Seeing as how all of the NERV units are humanoid (and have human souls, 00 being a weird case) and even the Harpies, with the Dummy System, are humanoid, I've been thinking that the EVAs themselves need a humanoid form in order for the resident soul to correctly inhabit the body.

I fully admit that I could be wrong, though.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:58 pm

While I admit is the most obvious in the NTEverse, my opinion is that it's also shown in Episode 19.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:24 pm

I would argue that they're in part held in their human shape by the armor/restraints. Even if it's only a human arm that Yui regrows, when the restraints come off and the Eva has a power source it shows an ability to shapeshift.

It would probably be more difficult to pilot a non-humanoid Eva, since piloting involves a degree of familiarity with the shape of the Eva. The pilot walks by walking, etc. People don't have laser blast or hovering muscles, so there should be some kind of a learning curve.

If you're piloting the God-eva you can cheat.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Or if you're so synched up to it that you become it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 pm

They're human-shaped because they're clones of humans, simple as that.

As for how they sense their surroundings, Firetrout has the right of it IMO.

And Ursus, there's no question-begging here. I am disappoint. You should know better! :asuka_miffed:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:47 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:They're human-shaped because they're clones of humans, simple as that.

I don't see any treevangelions anywhere.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:04 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't see any treevangelions anywhere.

Why would you? Neither MPEs nor lilin are trees, so treevangelions wouldn't be on the table anyway.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”