Alleys, Trains, and Cigars.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Alleys, Trains, and Cigars.

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 pm

For a while now I've wanted to make an observation about the quick "alley" cut in Episode #15 and how it may relate to the dreamscape in episode #25. I feel there may be meaning attached to the train sound effect used and that this in turn may relate back to the episode #15 cut.

In episode #15, Misato and Kaji are seen flirting quite a bit during the wedding party, with Ritsuko noting as such. This ultimately culminates in the kiss later in the episode, but before this we have the following:

Misato rings Shinji from the party to let him know she will be late home. Shinji is unconcerned, Asuka however...
Episode #15 Phone Call  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]15_C179b.jpg[/wkimg]
Asuka: Was it Misato?

Shinji: Yes, she said she'll be late, so don't wait up for her.

Asuka: What? Don't tell me she's coming back in the morning!

Shinji: No way, she's with Mr. Kaji.

Asuka: What are you, stupid? That's WHY!

[wkimg]15_C180.jpg[/wkimg]

Shinji cannot conceive of any impropriety where Kaji is concerned, but Asuka is decidedly more cynical. Immediately following Asuka's words, we have a very quick cut (The number is 15_C181) of two silhouettes -- Misato and Kaji -- at one end of an alley.

[wkimg]15_C181_Misato_Kaji_Alley.jpg[/wkimg]
Note in particular that in the background a train can be seen and heard loudly rolling by. Here's a short clip of the scene where the sound can be heard.

This is a very rapid cut, and it's not initially clear what's going on. On first glance, given the context and muffled sounds, it appears as though Kaji and Misato are engaged in sexual intercourse in the alley. However, immediately afterwards, we are told that it was "only" Misato throwing up.

Episode #15 Alley explanation wrote:
[wkimg]15_C183b.jpg[/wkimg]

Kaji: You shouldn't be throwing up at your age.

Misato: So sorry I'm that age.

So ostensibly the quick alley cut is explained, and any other interpretation the audience may have had can be dismissed as a result of their over-active imaginations, not the artists intent.

However...

Later in episode #25, during instrumentality and the Case of Misato Katsuragi, Shinji witnesses a flashback to Misato actually having sex with Kaji.

Episode #25 The Case of Misato Katsuragi  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]25 C209.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C210.jpg[/wkimg]
Ritsuko: Is that why you slept with him?
With that man?

Misato: No, I slept with him because I loved him.

[wkimg]25 C211.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C212.jpg[/wkimg]
Misato (child): Did you really love him?

Misato: Yes, I did.
He accepted me for who I am.

TEXT:
"Really?"

[wkimg]25 C213.jpg[/wkimg]
Misato: He was kind to me!

* Flash sequence *
[wkimg]25 C214a.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C214b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C214c.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C214d.jpg[/wkimg]
* Train Sounds *
[wkimg]25 C218a.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C218b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]25 C219b.jpg[/wkimg]

[wkimg]25 C220d.jpg[/wkimg]

Misato: No! Stop it! Don't show this part of me to Shinji!

Just to be clear: Shinji really is witnessing a flashback of Kaji and Misato having sex here. We have the quick sequence of pixelated flashing images, themselves taken from Misato and Kaji's post coital chat at the end of Episode #20. Moreover, since this scene is revisited in the End of Evangelion. where there is far less ambiguity about what Shinji is seeing, we can be fairly confident about what is being alluded to here(Even without noticing Misato's cigarette box). Misato's words about Kaji being "kind" are simply a euphemism.

However, while Shinji is shown watching this flashback, a series of harsh train sounds can be heard in the background. Again, here is a clip of the scene showing these sounds.

The train sounds here are also being used as a euphemism, mask or metaphor for the more explicit sounds heard in #25' (A train is heard, but only very briefly in the EoE version of this scene). But this use of the sound of a passing train sound as a mask or aural misdirection for sexual intercourse raises questions about cut C181 way back in episode #15.

[wkimg]15_C180.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]15_C181.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]15_C182.jpg[/wkimg]

In light of episode #25's use of train sounds, what exactly are we supposed to make of the quick alley cut in episode #15? Is it supposed to simply depict the result of Misato's overdrinking? Is it an instance of the creators deliberately titillating the audience through misdirection? Or is this clip a euphemism for something that was likely going to happen in the alley before Misato's stomach got the better of her?

I'd like to hear people's opinion on this. We earlier have an emphasis on Misato's improving relationship with Kaji at the wedding party, Asuka's blunt appraisal of the evenings likely outcome, this quick alley cut of Misato throwing up, with this itself followed by Misato and Kaji's more mellow "romantic" starlit walk culminating in their kiss. Does the cut really makes sense in the midst of this? What is its purpose? Does the train have anything to do with things, and most importantly if so, are there any other similar instances of this aural trope/allusion in the series?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:53 pm

I always assumed that it was just Misato throwing up, and that there was nothing more to it than that. If we could get a hold of the storyboards (ath is ordering them, IIRC) then we'd have an easy answer. However, to answer the query about the train, I think it's just there to add ambiance, or to make it so that Gainax didn't have to worry about puking noises.

Keep in mind that I often don't nitpick for symbolism.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:28 am

Sometimes something has a deeper fruedian meaning to it. and other times a cigar is just a cigar.

I think this is one of those "Cigars is just a Cigar" moments.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I think this is one of those "Cigars is just a Cigar" moments.

:freud:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 am

When I first saw that episode, I thought something dirty was going on in that cut, but ultimately I reasoned that yeah, it's just Misato vomiting. Either the first impression I had was unintended, or the quick cut was perhaps meant to be ironic: far from having sex, she's vomiting.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Vikocho
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vikocho » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:16 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:When I first saw that episode, I thought something dirty was going on in that cut, but ultimately I reasoned that yeah, it's just Misato vomiting. Either the first impression I had was unintended, or the quick cut was perhaps meant to be ironic: far from having sex, she's vomiting.

I felt the same thing too, perhaps it was intentionally put that way... or maybe i'm just perverted
"Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt"

obliterates
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby obliterates » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 am

IIRC trains aren't so positive for the pilots. Maybe we're supposed to assume for Misato, being with Kaji brings about the same kinds of inner shame and reflection (about herself and her past actions and not the relationship in particular) that Shinji gets while piloting?

I am noticing that in both the #15 and the EoE scenes and after the train sound there is a emphasis placed on Misato's feet directly after. One while being carried, one while having sex.

There's what looks like beer and cigarettes next to them in the #15 scene too but that might be stretching.
"I do not seek, I find." - Pablo Picasso

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 am

I don't get why you think they'd do it in an alley. But more importantly, there's a common thread between all of those things you spoke of -- they're moments when Misato and Kaji are alone together in their personal time. It seems to me the train in this context is symbolic of their relationship in general, not sex in particular.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 am

View Original Postobliterates wrote:I am noticing that in both the #15 and the EoE scenes and after the train sound there is a emphasis placed on Misato's feet directly after. One while being carried, one while having sex.

Good point. This also occurs in their "pillow talk" scene in Episode #20

[wkimg]20 C262.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]20 C263.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]20 C264.jpg[/wkimg]

View Original PostVikocho wrote:I felt the same thing too, perhaps it was intentionally put that way... or maybe i'm just perverted

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't get why you think they'd do it in an alley.

I feel this quick misdirection is a deliberate one on the creator's part, but I wonder exactly why? Why bother with the cut at all, or is it meant to stand in for something? It's worth noting that Kaji claimed earlier that he wasn't interested in starting up a relationship with Misato again, so maybe the cut stands for an alley interlude on Misato's part gone suddenly wrong. The main reason I bring this up is due to the episode #25' use of train sounds to mask Misato and Kaji's sexual intercourse. There may be no connection between these scenes, but I'd like to hear any thoughts people might have about this.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I feel this quick misdirection is a deliberate one on the creator's part, but I wonder exactly why?

I'm not sure it's a misdirection at all. When I see that scene it looks like someone's puking and someone else is holding her hair.

Also, given Shinji's connection with trains it strikes me that this could be some subtle commentary from Anno; we see trains when Kaji and Misato are doing real life things, things Shinji's afraid to do, so the trains going by with people staring out of them symbolize Shinji's self-imposed isolation from the world. Kaji and Misato are just normal people doing normal things, while Shinji's just watching from the sidelines.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:58 am

I'd like to think that they'd be heading to Kaji's place if that was the intent (and it may well have been), not literally slumming it. I do have to wonder why the hell they're walking though... did they miss the last train due to her puking?

I also think you're looking in the wrong direction with the train, as this has always been Shinji's symbol so what's really being emphasized there is his reaction to this. I'm honestly puzzled by the fact that his reaction seems to be intense anger or disgust. If concurrency-minded people are right wouldn't he have far more questionable acts of his own fresh in his memory to keep him from being so openly judgemental of Misato's sex life?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:08 am

I thought it was confusion.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 am

Here's the thing. Shinji feels he's disgusting and basic, but he thinks everyone else is better than him—he doesn't realize that they have a lot of the same problems he has, and that some of them are equally "fucked up."

obliterates
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby obliterates » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:27 am

The only problem is that I always assumed that after their reunion Misato and Kaji only had sex once (in Episode 20), not because its the only time they are shown having sex but because it doesn't look like they both have decided to enter that kind of relationship before that. There's moments but then it falls apart in the next episodes.

In EP9, Misato looks at Kaji's disk with the battle info warmly (I just realized Kaji giving her a disk like that in EP9 is foreshadowing EP20) but ignores Kaji in EP13 and onward.

In EP15 Misato and Kaji kiss and have a convo that implies that they plan to get back together. But in EP16 Misato denies being in a relationship with him and Kaji's message on the machine tells us that they are probably just going out for "friendly platonic" drinks at the most.

In EP17 Misato has a convo with Kaji that seems like they are strictly business and professional. The romance hinted two episodes ago seems to have dissipated.

And then in EP20 they're sleeping together? Seems to make you wonder what the hell happened between Misato and Kaji during that month Shinji was inside EVA 01, or if this is not the first time they had sex in that month, (which I think is unlikely.)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:51 pm

We actually do hear Misato’s voice in the cut in Episode 15, and it’s deeper and more guttural, almost like a coughing sound. These are the sounds of vomiting.

We also hear Misato’s unambiguous sex sounds in both Episode 20 and EoE, which are higher-pitched and squeakier, coming from the higher registers of her vocal chords. These are the sounds of sex.

Interestingly enough, Kaji’s voice is never heard in any of his sex scenes. This seems to ensure that the viewer would never see sex from Kaji’s perspective, not even subconsciously through the sound track. The only time the viewers experiences sex sounds is from Misato’s voice, audibly experiencing only her pleasure. (Heck, we don’t even get it from the other female characters. Misato is the only window into sexual pleasure that the show provides for the viewer.)
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obliterates
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby obliterates » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Interestingly enough, Kaji’s voice is never heard in any of his sex scenes. This seems to ensure that the viewer would never see sex from Kaji’s perspective, not even subconsciously through the sound track. The only time the viewers experiences sex sounds is from Misato’s voice, audibly experiencing only her pleasure. (Heck, we don’t even get it from the other female characters. Misato is the only window into sexual pleasure that the show provides for the viewer.)

^That's true. All Kaji's sex scenes either feature him melancholy or just possibly doing what Misato energetically asks of him in EOE (because he sounds tired and surprised at the idea of more sex). I don't think this is to say Kaji doesn't enjoy sex but maybe Misato was really the initiator behind that aspect of their lives, against Kaji's little flirty front.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:28 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'd like to think that they'd be heading to Kaji's place if that was the intent (and it may well have been), not literally slumming it. I do have to wonder why the hell they're walking though... did they miss the last train due to her puking?

Never really thought about the reason for walking, but that's as good a guess as any.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'd like to think that they'd be heading to Kaji's place if that was the intent (and it may well have been), not literally slumming it. I do have to wonder why the hell they're walking though... did they miss the last train due to her puking?

Actually, I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps it's not clear to non-Japanese viewers, but perhaps there are late night trains which people typically take home from bars. This "alley" might actually be a typical late night train station. Missing the train neatly explains why Misato and Kaji are walking home later, so the cut is actually needed to explain this.

We could confirm this if anyone has knowledge of what Japanese intracity rail stations look like. Any takers?

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:07 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:We actually do hear Misato’s voice in the cut in Episode 15, and it’s deeper and more guttural, almost like a coughing sound. These are the sounds of vomiting.

We also hear Misato’s unambiguous sex sounds in both Episode 20 and EoE, which are higher-pitched and squeakier, coming from the higher registers of her vocal chords. These are the sounds of sex.

I read this in Neil DeGrasse Tyson's voice
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 pm

^ Even though I’m on the floor laughing, I really don’t know how to react to that.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”