S^2, another dimension of fun

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

S^2, another dimension of fun

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:11 am

[deleted by user]
Last edited by Ripple_in_Eternity on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:47 am

honestly, i'm too buisy to check any of this up, but something i (and probably EVERYBODY else) can see straight away is S^2 refers to an ordinary sphere.....the cores? might help 'prove' (a very rare word in evangelion fandom) that the core of an angel IS in fact it's S^2 organ.

then again, the bloke who designed the third angel did so in 3 minutes on the back of a napkin. so maybe not.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:08 am

There was a thread where we've been thinking on good ol' S^2's mechanism. It was before the 129 Days as I recall. Yep, it certainly was. Just to let you know where we got. Maybe I'll go and find it, but I'm too lazy, and I have stuff to do. :P :wink:

*Looks at post*
O_O Who-aaa... Nowwaiit amminute...
1.: What is the 4th dimension? (Most important question)
2.: Isn't a circle 2D?
3.: Isn't a sphere 3D? (In both cases: I'm not sure what do you mean by "1-sphere", "2-sphere" et cetera.)

If one cannot define what the 4th dimension is, how can one decide wether one can see/sense it or cannot? :S I'm a lil' bit confused.
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:22 am

Faußtin wrote:1.: What is the 4th dimension? (Most important question)

The 4th dimension is normally the time...
http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php <-- hf XD
But I think Ripple_in_Eternity means 4 dimensions in the sense of: A space were an object has 4 perpendicular room-directions...
For example:
If you draw a line you can represent it with one dimension: the length
If you draw an additional line perpendicular to the first you need two dimensions and get a plane with length and width.
With an additional line perpendicular to the first two you need three dimensions and get a volume with length, width and height.
With an additional line perpendicular to the first three you need four dimensions and get a hypercube with length, width, height and headache XD
If you understand that, could you please explain the 4th dimension to me? XD
BTW: If the 4th coordinate of a 4 dimensional object is everywhere exactly the same, than that object can be easly replesented in 3D-space. (According to our prof, as he tried to explain us, why we need 4D-coordinates to represent 3D-objects with OpenGL on a 2D-screen @_@)

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:00 am

[deleted by user]
Last edited by Ripple_in_Eternity on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lev
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lev » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:05 pm

MATH IS FUN

(and I cant belive I wasted my first post on this topic)
Hi, I'm Lev, feel free to insult me all you want, I'm not taking what I said about you mom being a whore back.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:02 pm

looking at that wiki gave me a headache.

this is how i see an S2 engine
If you watch the tv series Stargate: Sg-1 or Stargate Atlantis, you will hear the word, "Zero point module"

The ZPM takes its energy from an artificially created region of subspace within it and can be charged as needed.

This is how I see an S2 engine, simmilar to a ZPM.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:41 pm

The S^2 engine is not any way related to the core, but we don't know about those little core thingies that Yui has, and why she has 4 after eating an S^2 organ.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:17 pm

For what it's worth, this is the S2 section of the NGE2 CI

14. S2 Engine

A. Publicly Released Information

Data unavailable.

B. Generally Recognized Information

The "Super Solenoid Engine" is the Angels' source of limitless motive energy. It is thought that this gives the Angels abilities such as self-regeneration and metamorphosis that, for living creatures, go beyond the bounds of common sense.

C. Confidential Information

The S2 Engine Theory was advocated by Dr. Katsuragi. As the world is formed with spirals, the engine acquires energy from its shape, which is the same as DNA. From here, the S2 Engine was being envisioned as an energy source that would attempt to procure helical energy -– in other words, an inexhaustible supply.*

D. In-Depth Information

The Fruit of Life. This is the one thing that an Eva requires in order to gain an existence equal to that of Adam.

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm

[deleted by user]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:13 am

Ripple_in_Eternity wrote:does this have anything to do with zero point energy?
[url]http://www.calphysics.org/zpe.html[/url]

I would expect so; and as a good modern rubber physics perpetual motion device, a plausible mechanism for the S² to employ.

See also
The dirac sea, zero-point energy, qabalah, and bilocation... : http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1378
Is The S^2 Organ In The Core? : http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708

The answer to the q posed in the 2nd thread is "yes".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:20 am

badc0de wrote:With an additional line perpendicular to the first three you need four dimensions and get a hypercube with length, width, height and headache XD

:lol:
Agreed.

To be honest, I don't think that the Material Plane has more than three dimensions. But I've told it once: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1378
If someone would like to post there, I've found it on the second page, made by Zugzwang.

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:44 am

[deleted by user]

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Ripple_in_Eternity wrote:Think about how easy we coul make our lives by harnessing the fourth dimension, we could turn the air travel industry upside down by turning the 3-d plane into a 4-d plane and cutting out the third dimension. The result: a 3-d space that appears to be 2-d, using the invisible fourth. so we could literally make paper airplanes and carry a huge number of people on them!

Nonsense... I think that there are the 3Ds of Materia, the 4th it time, and the Astral plane (or whatever the name is) is the co-existence of the 5th and the 6th dimension, mental and emotional. I've said this before and perhaps drove some people mad with it, but nobody convinced me that its not like this. Not that I could convince anybody either... :P Or at least I don't remeber doing so.

Anno! We are in great need of Sachiel's autopsy! PLS!!! :D :wink: :P

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:25 pm

[deleted by user]
Last edited by Ripple_in_Eternity on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Ripple_in_Eternity wrote:Anyhow, I know the plane thing is nonsense, but I seriously believe time is not a dimension in itself. I think time is just...relative. Things just happen, and the effects cause reactions, and more reactions and actions spawn from that. Time is something you can mesure, but doesn't really exist.

That does make sense
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:42 pm

[deleted by user]
Last edited by Ripple_in_Eternity on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:28 pm

ZeroFive1 wrote:The S^2 engine is not any way related to the core

The core acts as a container for the S2 Engine. (Among other things.) In fact, episode #05 was given additional 5.1 audio track dialogue to make this point more clear. Here's any relevant lines; you can see the full scene here.

Man 2 "The analysis from the 2nd Branch in Germany is scheduled to arrive within 5 minutes. Director in the S² block, wait for further instruction."
Woman "Recovering the existing core is the highest priority."
(Ritsuko "I see. Almost everything except the core remains intact. Truly an ideal sample.")
(Misato "Well, you at least found its power source, right?")
Man 2 "The Power Analysis Unit from Germany's 2nd Branch is currently
arriving."
(Ritsuko "Something like that. But we haven't been able to figure out any of its operating principles.")
Fuyutsuki "This is the core? How is the rest of it?"
Man "It is severely deteriorated. We can't expect to use it as a reference."
Ikari "Not a problem. Dispose of everything else."

Later on, in #17...

IBUKI:
Evangelion Unit 04 and all related research facilities within an 89km radius
have completely vanished.

RITSUKO:
Along with several thousand people.

AOBA:
Looking at the time schedule, we believe it to be an accident
during the experimental installation of the S2 engine
that was restored in Germany.

Another thing: When EVA-01 is "taking the S2 Engine into herself", she's
sticking her face into Zeruel's core. (See images here:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Reichu/Core/)

How did the wisdom that the core and Super Solenoid have nothing to do with one another come about? (Backlash against the misconception that they are the same thing?)

but we don't know about those little core thingies that Yui has, and why she has 4 after eating an S^2 organ.

Nopers, there are still just the two in #20. The other two only appear in #26'.

EDIT: F*ck, how did I not notice the thread that Tines linked back to? Oh, well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:29 pm

I really can't ad much here, except to point out that the sphere "S^2" is not a "ball", but a "shell". It is a 2D object in 3D space, just as a circle is a 1D object in 2D space. I'm fairly sure the core is a ball, not a shell. At least, when there's something in it.

A disc is a 2D object in 2D space, and a ball is a 3D object in 3D space. The hypersphere S^3, is a 3D object in 4D space.

I don't know if the S^2 organ is related to this terminology of a sphere. I feel it's more likely connected to the naming of the "N^2" bomb.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:03 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I'm fairly sure the core is a ball, not a shell. At least, when there's something in it.

The hard red exterior is technically the "crust", and there are mysterious contents within. Your sentence above sorta confuses me, though...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”