How do you actually control an Eva Unit?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

How do you actually control an Eva Unit?

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:08 pm

Let me explain my question first. It's clear that the pilot had to connect his/ her mind to the Eva Unit. In the entry plug you have two pistol-like control sticks which allow you to fire your weapon. Now this is my question. I think the two control sticks don't allow the pilot to control the movements of an Eva Unit, such as holding up your hands and perform a jump since these would be too complicated to be inputted by the control sticks. So what we're told is that the pilot had to think, think what he wanted the Eva Unit to do, and the Eva would do that accordingly, as Shinji was told when he first confronted Sachiel.

So does it mean that if you want the Eva to perform a particular set of movements you had to think through it first, then the Unit would do it? If it's so then it's totally different from human movement because when we move we don't actually have to think in our head what we want to do, we do it almost instantly when we want to do it. If so there would be a large time gap between wanting the Eva Unit to do something and the Eva Unit doing that wanted movement. If the pilot wanted to do the same set of movement which Asuka had done when she first dealt with the 7th Angel, the pilot must have a very quick mind right?
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 am

I think its something like the pilot becomes the eva, so for them moving the Eva is like moving themselves it's an instant process, and the higher the sync rate the easier they can control the Eva although it comes with significant risks because the higher the sync rate the more they begin to feel the pain of the Eva.

The control sticks I have no idea about, I think they're either for controlling the weaponry or just to give the pilots something to grasp onto. Although if the Eva isnt responding the pilot tends to pull the sticks to try to get a response so i'm not sure, maybe you pull them back when you want to command the Eva.

I believe that its instantaneous just like human movement though.

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 am

I've always thought it was a mental link and the control sticks were more of a "hey, pay attention!" kind of thing than anything else. After all, there's no other controls that I can see.
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:18 am

that's always been the accpeted theory, to my knowledge.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:39 pm

How actually do you control an Eva Unit?

use The Force.
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:24 pm

The link appears to be one achieved leargely through computer assistance. The pilots thoughts are transmitted via the hairband recievers, and are then sent to the Eva which responds.

However, the Eva will only comply if it has some kind of an affinity with the pilots "brainwave pattern". At least that's my understanding. The Eva can be fooled if the signal is sent instead by someone other than the human pilot, i.e. the dummy plugs, but this will only happen if the dummy plug can be "likeable" enough to the Eva.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The link appears to be one achieved leargely through computer assistance. The pilots thoughts are transmitted via the hairband recievers, and are then sent to the Eva which responds.

However, the Eva will only comply if it has some kind of an affinity with the pilots "brainwave pattern". At least that's my understanding. The Eva can be fooled if the signal is sent instead by someone other than the human pilot, i.e. the dummy plugs, but this will only happen if the dummy plug can be "likeable" enough to the Eva.

I don't think the hairband receivers are necessary--I believe they may amplify the pilot's thoughts, but they aren't the only means of establishing a link. Maybe someone can check this, but I don't believe Shinji has them when he returns to pilot Unit 01 after Asuka gets ripped to shreads in the TV series (think maybe its ep. 19??) Could be wrong though...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:50 pm

As seen in episode 3, it seems they might just be a physical thing to focus on, because he's putting both hands on it.

Oh, and bp:

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:56 pm

I think the thing Shinji was pushing was one of the control sticks?
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:17 am

I figured the control veins were just something for the pilots to move for our sakes. Might not have looked as good if they were just sitting there, not moving.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:22 am

ZeroFive1 wrote:Oh, and bp:

Damn, Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn....

Oh wait, I just took a look at my copy of EoE and he doesn't appeare to be wearing them there--can't do screen caps so you'll just have to look: 42'20''

(Now of course we can argue whether Shinji is ever 'controlling' the Eva during these events, but that is a discussion for later...)
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:42 am

Shinji explains it best in GoS 1: 'I tell it to walk, and it walks.' Those little control sticks are for precise movements, like squeezing a trigger. 'Move your little, eh, big, eh, your finger on the trigger, EVA!'. Sounds silly, does it not?
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:11 am

Then does it mean you actually have to think about what the Eva will do before it does it? There would be a time gap between wanting the Unit to do something and the Unit actually acting.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:04 am

tinmeigut wrote:Then does it mean you actually have to think about what the Eva will do before it does it? There would be a time gap between wanting the Unit to do something and the Unit actually acting.

I think this is the point about the degree of snyc between the pilot and their Eva--the greater the sync ratio the more the Eva's movements are like our own--we 'think' about our movements, but the gap between thought and movement is negligible.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:25 pm

There's one scene where we see EVA-00 and then cut to the cockpit to see Rei in the same posture. I think most of the control is through body synch (and thinking about walking); with the hand controls for anything that can't just be mimed (arming a weapon, actually straining hard).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:23 pm

I think I suggested once that the control pedals may be electric power load balancers or some such nonsense. Depressed by the pilots to request more electrical output from the generators, to prevent brownouts and burnouts.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:40 pm

Eva pilotting doesn't really make any obvious sense to me.

PILOT: In a seated position with hands fixed on induction levers that go 'click click'. Most of the movement achieved in the cockpit is an illusion of 'clever camera work'.

EVA: Pulls off an expansive repertoire of movement, many of them foreign to the pilots' own (if not impossible), along with many Eva-specific things (ATF magic, etc.).

Anything involving the actual articulated movement of the limbs (e.g., walking, punching, somersaulting) cannot be "mimed" according to this setup. And the levers seem to act as dummies more than anything else.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:45 pm

it seems more of a visual device than anything to me...itd be strange if they were just sitting in a little bubble with nothing around them...perhaps the Eva and the pilot can better connect souls if part of the body is touching each other....you know...so theres less gap between AT Feilds...but its more liely that theyre just there so that they look more like theyre "Piloting"...the theory of moving finrse and such seems odd to me...there are so many little movements and such that can be done with hands....too much to be done wiht buttons or levers...but then again..."switch" makes the gun fire so...

what i want to know is...plug suits...why?....I think at one pint its said that they enhance your AT Feild...but im not seeing it...Shinji seemed to Pilot it just fine in his regular clothes...but i guess those were desperate measures where there was no time for plug suits...but still...im not seeing it

the3rdchildren
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the3rdchildren » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:59 pm

The way I see it, the Eva is controlled by the pilot's thought processes and the triggers are there to look cool and make things more interesting (it isn't exactly good entertainment for them to just sit there not moving at all inside the entry plugs), just like so much in Evangelion.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:32 am

ZeroFive1 wrote:As seen in episode 3, it seems they might just be a physical thing to focus on, because he's putting both hands on it.

Oh, and bp:

I could imagine that last picture, with a picture of a delicious Spicy Italian Sub from Subway in his mouth.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”