Anime News Network Article "Understanding Evangelion"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Anime News Network Article "Understanding Evangelion"

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:22 pm

This article is a must-read for anyone who isn't completely positive of the psychology of Eva, and it also manages to outline many of the complex themes found within.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:33 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=14

Its a decent article, I enjoyed reading it way back when, last I checked I had it in the written statements section.

Dennis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:57 pm

Are there any other great EVA resouce sites besides EvaMonkey and EvaOtaku? Also, are there any other reference books besides the heavily contested and debated RCB?
*insert something witty*

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:19 pm

thatstoodamnbad wrote:Are there any other great EVA resouce sites besides EvaMonkey and EvaOtaku? Also, are there any other reference books besides the heavily contested and debated RCB?

Isn't the RCB officialy approved by Gainax? If so, i don't see why it would be contested or debated.

yjs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:42 pm

That was a very interesting article. I liked the analysis of Shinji as a 'tragic hero', since I just did a big assignment on Macbeth being a 'tragic hero'.

It also outlines the flaws of Eva, which is good to see.
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:48 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:last I checked I had it in the written statements section.

:oops: Yeah, I just realized it was already on your site.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:32 pm

thatstoodamnbad wrote:Are there any other great EVA resouce sites besides EvaMonkey and EvaOtaku? Also, are there any other reference books besides the heavily contested and debated RCB?

I'd say Eva Otaku is far and away the best, with this site quickly catching up, there's also the Eva Sage at http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/3082/index.html, no images, nothing but lots of Eva discussion and question answers. Although I've had trouble getting the menu to work recently.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:46 pm

The only thing published in English is a book from DH Publishing, coming out in July. As for stuff in Japanese, I'm not aware of any guides as substinate as the RCB.

coff wrote:Isn't the RCB officialy approved by Gainax? If so, i don't see why it would be contested or debated.

It was approved and produced by Gainax. However some people argue that it isn't canon as it was a product, and it wasn't necessarily 100% faithful to Anno's design, and he may not have even worked on it. I don't know personnally.

Phaze wrote: :oops: Yeah, I just realized it was already on your site.

Yeah, I was just thinking it was kind of redundant to point out. But overall, there's loads of great stuff in there, I wouldn't pick out anything in particular, its all excellent stuff. If you enjoyed that article, look at some of the other stuff.

Quiddity wrote:I'd say Eva Otaku is far and away the best, with this site quickly catching up, there's also the Eva Sage at http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/3082/index.html, no images, nothing but lots of Eva discussion and question answers. Although I've had trouble getting the menu to work recently.

Eva Otaku was and has been my standard of quality as I've worked on the site. If you tell me my site is better than Eva Otaku, I'll disagree. Eva Otaku is still #1 in my opinion.

Eva Sage used to be a good site, but its been left to inactivity and malfunction. Sites like Eva Sage were great for their time, but they're a bit out dated, they haven't taken some 5 years worth of fandom into account like Eva Monkey and Eva Otaku have.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”