After the Third Impact...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 pm

"Adam and Eve" isn't a theory. The movie itself says that people are going to return. And at least in EGF i never had the impression of it being popular, no one really talks much about it actually.

And you're really not alone on the opinion that Shinji and Asuka would never be happy together. It's not something i personally agree but i have seen (pretty good) arguments towards other directions/pairings, in fact i can think of two, maybe three or four regular members that hold such view.

This is, however, the first time i heard of someone proposing a relationship (presumably of a sexual or romantic nature) between Shinji and Misato. I really can't say i agree if that's the case. Friendship/familial love, however, is another story.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 pm

I think the Adam and Eve idea is more a metaphor than something that should be taken literally. They are the first man and woman in a new world, right?

Not that I agree with it.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

See, that makes a lot more sense. However, as I mentioned before, isn't there possibility that there are other humans that have risen from the sea of LCL across the globe? I think it's just a tad bit presumptuous to assume Shinji and Asuka are the only people who've been "reformed", so to speak.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

It's the end of the world as he knows it. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just one. Implicitly, of many.

[code:1]
Asuka: Destruction, Death, the return to nothingness,
All of these did you wish for.

Misato: This is reality.

Shinji: What's reality?

Rei: Your world.

Makoto: With time, with space, [b]with other people[/b], a world of
your own.

Shigeru: The world where how to accept things and how to
perceive things is absolutely up to you.

Maya: It's your world, only given to you now,

That is reality.

Misato: Your world, which nobody else can deal with.

Shinji: It's the world where everything is already created,
isn't it?

Ritsuko: No, it's the world that you are creating.[/code:1]

So let's be clear: What's established is that there are other people in this world, yet he has complete control. It's also intended for his comfort, not anyone else's... and this world is ending.

In terms of outcomes, he had only two: death, or rebirth.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

Re: LOLz

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:41 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I'm probably one of the few people who just can't see Shinji and Asuka together.

As Dream points out a lot of people agree with you on this. Maybe even the majority, probably the majority that visit this site. Even then, a lot of people who think they can be together preface it with the statement "after they get a lot of therapy to work through their issues."

I could be called an AxS "shipper" so I disagree with you, and I don't feel the need to preface my stance with the above, but that's because of my interpretation of instrumentality and my perceptions of both characters. Consequently, I totally understand people disagreeing with me on it. It's not exactly a simple relationship to interpret.

View Original PostRei IV wrote:See, that makes a lot more sense. However, as I mentioned before, isn't there possibility that there are other humans that have risen from the sea of LCL across the globe? I think it's just a tad bit presumptuous to assume Shinji and Asuka are the only people who've been "reformed", so to speak.

I think it's a safe bet Shinji was the first, being "The Decider" and all, but it's entirely possible, if not likely, that others came back before Asuka. I don't think there's any thing preventing them from spawning somewhere else, either.

tl;dr@all of the above: We don't know.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 am

Dude. Cmon

Misato's like in her mid twenties or something. Shinji's 14.

Dudes. That's grewss.
Leave Shinji alone

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:12 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Dude. Cmon

Dudes. That's grewss.

Coming from a 14 year old male that's a surprising viewpoint.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Interesting

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Dude. Cmon

Dudes. That's grewss.

I was slightly joking when I made that post. Still, it's a lot healthier than being paired with Asuka. Misato is also in her late 20s (29 going to 30), which makes a bit worse!

:) ;)

Speaking of Misato, I would like believe she's the next person most likely to be reformed after Shinji and Asuka. I always envisioned her coming out of the sea of LCL post credits. It's pretty amusing after 15 years of the release of EoE, there's still no definitive answers for the events after the film, just a lot of fan speculation and theorizing, not that I'm complaining.

:unsure:

What does Anno have to say in all this?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Interesting

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:What does Anno have to say in all this?

I think Anno's made every effort to not say anything about this. Hence the whole "If you don't understand Eva, it's your problem." line.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: It's the end of the world as he knows it. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:So let's be clear: What's established is that there are other people in this world, yet he has complete control. It's also intended for his comfort, not anyone else's... and this world is ending.

In terms of outcomes, he had only two: death, or rebirth.

Yes, that's his own personal world. Just as with Rei-3, whose world is also coming to an end
Rei 1:
You're afraid of ceasing to exist.
You're afraid of being erased from everyone's hearts.

Rei 3:
Afraid? I don't understand.

Rei 1:
Your own individual world will also cease to exist.

and again, hammering the point home:
Shinji:
What is this?
A world with nothing in it?
A world with nobody in it?

Shinji (OFF):
A world of freedom.

where everyone talks to him from off-screen (outside his own little world), and he drifts around a while before Gendo steps in and tweaks the settings a bit for him:

IKARI (OFF):
I will give you a restriction.

Asuka (OFF):
There, now you have heaven and earth.

The moral of whole tale being "Get out of your giant robot fantasy worlds, you disgusting otaku scum, and come live with everyone else out in the Big Blue Room.", it couldn't be other than a private fantasy that Shinji is locked in.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 am

Shinji and Asuka, the new Adam and Eve?

Why is it always Eve?

Why not the new Adam and Lilith? Anyone ever think of THAT? HUH?

I mean, c'mon. Between Lilith and Eve, which is more Asuka? Yeah.

If anything, Rei is the Eve. She was, after all, created from Shinji's flesh..... (*cough* that he was born from, i.e. that of his mother)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 am

Dream wrote:"Adam and Eve" isn't a theory.

You may say it's not an accepted theory, but it's still a theory.

Monk Ed wrote:Shinji and Asuka, the new Adam and Eve?

Why is it always Eve?

Why not the new Adam and Lilith? Anyone ever think of THAT? HUH?

I mean, c'mon. Between Lilith and Eve, which is more Asuka? Yeah.

If anything, Rei is the Eve. She was, after all, created from Shinji's flesh..... (*cough* that he was born from, i.e. that of his mother)

Well, considering that Rei bears the soul of a seed of life named Lilith, she's the best candidate for representing Lilith in the analogy.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 am

Just goes to show how easily analogies fall apart, doesn't it?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Why not the new Adam and Lilith? Anyone ever think of THAT? HUH?
The Spanish lanugage site I quoted earlier, for one.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:33 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:You may say it's not an accepted theory, but it's still a theory..

Maybe, but since that theory has to argue agaisnt one of the most relevant characters for Instrumentality (Yui) I don't think it's a theory that holds much ground.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Dream wrote:Maybe, but since that theory has to argue agaisnt one of the most relevant characters for Instrumentality (Yui) I don't think it's a theory that holds much ground.

It's a bad theory, I'll give you that, but it can coexist with Yui's remark, since she never stated that people will definitely come back (you can infer it, but it's not proven), she just said they can if they desire to, and there's no way to prove that anyone else ever came back from the ocean of LCL.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

But it's also totally and absolutely retarded to think that Shinji and Asuka are the only goddamn people out of billions who'd feel like coming back to life for any reason.

I mean, even if no one else shows up at that beach, people who re-embody can wind up anywhere in the world, on any shore or beach.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Agreed, it's highly unlikely that no one else came back, but still impossible to prove, ironically this is also the case with the existence of God.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: It's the end of the world as he knows it. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yes, that's his own personal world.

A world he has control over, we agree, and it also says:

[code:1]Destruction, Death, the return to nothingness,
All of these did you wish for.

This is reality.[/code:1]

And once again, the final line:

[code:1]The end of the world that you have lived in.[/code:1]

There can only be death if others are dying. He's influencing the fates of others, and he's bringing about the end. His own wish, if you notice, also ties directly into how Instrumentality has been characterized thus far, the "return to nothing". Thus, the implication is that he's wishing for Instrumentality to take place, and to end everything.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Rei 1:
You're afraid of ceasing to exist.
You're afraid of being erased from everyone's hearts.

Rei 3:
Afraid? I don't understand.

Rei 1:
Your own individual world will also cease to exist.

I know I opened the door for it by originally quoting a different translation, and I apologize for that (I couldn't find the LTP link at first), but let's try to be consistent:

[code:1]Rei: One is afraid that the self will disappear.

Rei: Fear?
That doesn't make sense.

Rei: The Self's world will disappear.

Aren't you afraid?

Rei: The Self will disappear.[/code:1]

So not an "individual's world", but rather the self is what's being addressed here. Rei is afraid of losing her own individual form, it's not about any brain space she may occupy within Instrumentality (which at that time, had yet to start).

We can tell these two are not the same, as the characterization of the action being taken is different. In Shinji's case, it's maintaining the world that he "secretly" wants which is erasing him. In Rei's case, it's losing "her world", her self, that's causing her to be erased. She's becoming a drone, a part of the collective. She is on the path to no longer being "Rei", but rather "1 of 4... Billion".

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The moral of whole tale being "Get out of your giant robot fantasy worlds, you disgusting otaku scum, and come live with everyone else out in the Big Blue Room."

The room being the stand-in for reality, and the hope that its embracement may lead to something better.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:42 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Agreed, it's highly unlikely that no one else came back, but still impossible to prove, ironically this is also the case with the existence of God.

I would say it's literally impossible that no one else came back, because we've met characters on-screen who have a stronger attachment to life than either Asuka or Shinji.

I mean, hell, just off the top of my head, once Misato notices Asuka and Shinji aren't in Red Ocean Land and are outside in the real world somewhere, her very first instinct is to make sure they're alright.

Also: All the people SEELE killed with their religious cult suicide tantrum that had no major qualms with their lives or mental health.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”