Asuka's "Death" in EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm

Sound Only wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:That is Lilith as surrogate mother, or something more vegetative yet; the Evangelions are explicitly described as scions (Bunshin) of Adam in EoE.

How did you come to this "surrogate mother" conclusion? Unit-01 is described by SEELE as Lillith's only true offspring in EoE.

The extended opening shows Shogouki growing out of Lilith

It's like this: All the Evas are made with Adams genetic material, but Shogouki was grown from Lilith, while the others weren't.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Harmless
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Harmless » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Space Penis wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:Would EVA-02 even be capable of this? Considering the differences between EVA-01 and 02.

Does Nigouki even have a jaw underneath all that armour plating?

ya it does:

[url]http://www.madcaps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/evaimgtemp/dvdconceptart-02head.jpg[/url]

Thats official Weta-Workshop concept art for the movie, and its proof enough for me.

-I think Eva 02 could have managed to eat a vulture
-I think that Asuka probably didnt not even know about S2 tho
-I think the scene is horrifing
-I think it could have been badass
No one lies to a .45

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:04 am

Eat a vulture? What do you mean by that preytell?
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:08 am

SEELE 08 wrote:Eat a vulture? What do you mean by that preytell?

Vulture=harpy=MP Eva=One of the Eva Series=....

Eat=(in this context) ingest the S2 organ, like Yui-sama did to Zeruel in ep#19. - and thereby not be limited by battery life concerns.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:11 am

Harmless wrote:
Space Penis wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:Would EVA-02 even be capable of this? Considering the differences between EVA-01 and 02.

Does Nigouki even have a jaw underneath all that armour plating?

ya it does:

[url]http://www.madcaps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/evaimgtemp/dvdconceptart-02head.jpg[/url]

Image Protip: Movie concept art =/= Series

But having watched the aftermath of the fight again, yeah it does have a mouth. Still, it would be incredibly difficult to eat an S^2 while it still has the armour plating on it's face.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Asuka's "Death" in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:26 pm

Harmless wrote:
EoE was awesome until the vulture dudes tore Eva 02 apart, and was like "wtf?!" thats bullsh*t" Imagine the movie "Homeward Bound" but at the end the cat gets killed somehow. I thought that it was totally unnecessary and completely avoidable.

-heres a few ideas
-why didnt Eva 02 just eat one of the vultures to get an S2 engine??? Eva 01 did it, i dont see why not Asuka could have gone nuts and done it (esspecially considering the situation she was in)
-When the lance hit Eva 02 to start the horrible scene, it hit cuz her AT field turned off cuz she ran out of power (im not sure on this, its concievable the lance is just an AT penetrating thing as seen in its other uses) So anyways, if her Eva is off, why would she be taking damage when it does?? Like i get how when u pilot an Eva and it looses an arm, u loose an arm. But it was turned off, i dont think such a connection would be on while it was turned off.

-sorry if someone else already brought this up, i tried searching before i posted this.

-so ya in general im just looking for some kind of discussion/justification for the worst ending to one of the best fight I've ever seen. After seeing it i couldnt get past it and dont remember the rest of the movie, it just pissed me off.

*plus Shinji is an ass, and shoulda gotten out there quicker and f*cked some sh*t up. The movie would have been so much better and lost NO integrity if they had 5 min. of Eva 01 and Eva 02 throwin down hardcore.

If you ever listened to the evil comentary (which is 100% evil btw lol) they bring up 1 good point. EoE is a pact with the devil. the entire thing. You get what ever you want.... in the worst most horrific way imaginable. Anno didn't want to make EoE but because of a bunch of gay otaku death threats he made the movies. so like i would do if given the chance... fuck around with the fans lol. thats my basic explanation for everything in the movie.
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:52 pm

TheBlueTree wrote:Anno didn't want to make EoE but because of a bunch of gay otaku death threats he made the movies.

Actually, no. EoE was what was intended all along, and the success of the show meant that they actually had got the budget to make the real ending. We even have bits of EoE in episode 25 (and more in in storyboard form). See http://www.stevegilham.com/nge/manyworlds.html#originaleotv
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:41 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Actually, no. EoE was what was intended all along, and the success of the show meant that they actually had got the budget to make the real ending. We even have bits of EoE in episode 25 (and more in in storyboard form). See http://www.stevegilham.com/nge/manyworlds.html#originaleotv

God, thank you. That "Piss off the Fans" theory pisses ME off way more than the film.

It's irritating that people can so easily believe that Anno made the film to hurt them, just 'cause they have trouble dealing with a (in some ways) disturbing ending. Egocentric jerks.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Sorry my bad. but that theory does explain why anno puts those death threat letter things in the movie. other then a slap in the face to those who wrote em lol
Mr. Bud

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

K2Grey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:57 pm

The film has an uplifting ending. Well, at least it sorta has an uplifting ending. No one is permanently killed, and Yui being a scientist is presumably aware of any environmental fallout issues that needed to be taken care of before leaving. Seele is definitely not coming back. Shinji and Asuka don't hate each other. Well, they sorta don't hate each other, seeing how Shinji let go of Asuka's throat. I suppose future attempts by Shinji on Asuka's life are unlikely, and the opposite is probably true (although I dunno who would necessarily win in a fight). And the ending is also uplifting in that it defeats the possibility of bad sequels.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:02 pm

K2Grey wrote:And the ending is also uplifting in that it defeats the possibility of bad sequels.

A biiig "Amen!" to that.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:49 pm

I wouldn't be to sure about that lets not forget about this.
[url]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=561267206269213819&q=evangelion[/url]
Mr. Bud

Seele 08

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:05 am

TheBlueTree wrote:I wouldn't be to sure about that lets not forget about this.
[url]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=561267206269213819&q=evangelion[/url]

Monkey. Explain this.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:42 am

Okay... If I had to write a short listing of the most common things I hear and questions I am asked after someone watches EoE (Odds are, without watching the series... Since I'm an ass that way.) This would be the list...

What in the hell was that?
WTF did I just watch?
My mind hurts.
I want to cry.
(Inaudible words or silence)
Did everyone die?
Did Asuka die?

My point with this post is to figure something out and of course, attempt to add something related to the original topic of it.

Usually, I am asked "Did everyone die?" And my answer is "Well... It's hard to explain but..." then I go off on an explanation. Usually citing what Rei said... The thing about people coming back when they see themselves within their own heart. But there are a couple dreaded follow up questions to that statement. One is "What about Kaji/Misato/Ritsuko? Did they die?" and "What about Asuka? Did she die?"

For quite some time, for whatever reason, I believed that Asuka didn't die. (Sorry, but when I first watched the movie, I seriously didn't believe she died (but I was watching it in pure, untranslated, un-subbed Japanese and I didn't understand a lick of it.)) Now, I'm sort of in limbo. A part of me doesn't believe that she died, while another part believes she did. I can't seem to completely believe she did and well, would like some sort of evidence that would convince me otherwise and NOT make me look like a complete dumbass.

So yeah, usually to the Asuka question I say "Yes."

As for the prior question, the one about Kaji/Misato/Ritsuko... That's a tougher one for me. I've no real reason to believe that Kaji is able to come back, he just died too early for me to believe that he would be able to. Misato and Ritsuko are a bit differen't. I've heard that according to many beliefs (don't know if these beliefs are apart of certain religions... Mind you, I have no religion,) your spirit doesn't immediately ascend to the plain that spirits go to (since this could/does cover many different religions, I need to make it somewhat plain.) If this holds true, then how long is it until their spirits are gone? Or am I just getting off on some random inane tangent here? Of course, this is assuming that souls are required to return to their human shapes... Which, to me, is a requirement since you know, the AT Fields make up their shapes and all (though, I am probably wrong on this.)

But let's assume that all the above isn't an issue... That would pretty much answer the question concerning Ritsuko... And she'd be able to come back. But what about Misato? She died pre-impact and to top it off, her body was pretty close to being obliterated... Though apart of her still turns to lcl. For me, I'd personally believe that no, she couldn't come back. Let's assume that, since apart of her turned into LCL, that she could come back. Well... She'd find herself within her heart and attempt to come back... But, even if her body collected in the same area of the ocean... She would probably be lacking many many essential cells since it's pretty much safe to assume that, while she wasn't completely obliterated, many a thousand of cells were from the sudden intense heat of the explosion.

Sorry for posting this random blurb here... But those have been questions plaguing me for quite some time. I bet the answers are easier to find and that I am reading too much into it. But I am really interested in finding out if there are clear answers to the questions above, or if they are apart of the questions that simply can't be answered.

And if this post belongs as a topic on its own, I apologize for my misjudgement.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:22 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Monkey. Explain this.

This is off one of the associated CDs - the original VAs and Anno are amusing themselves by breaking the 4th wall.

---

@Eternal Yamcha
Even people who have watched the TV series as well have posted things like "WTF did I just watch?", in respect of the whole thing.

Asuka - if she didn't get killed directly or indirectly by the harpies, the massive explosion as the geofront erupts would have been enough.

Misato and Ritsuko - each have one of the Rei-tachi present as Transition Guide, just like the other fallen in the NERV corridors (and we know Misato is in Complementation as she gets a "case of..." all to her own in EoTV, and gets to reminisce about her week in bed with Kaji - to Shinji and Asuka's disgust - in EoE).

Operationally, in NGE, the soul clearly lingers for some time around the corpus - hence the need to salvage Kentucky Fried Rei in ep23 so she can be re-installed into a new clone.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonneh
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jonneh » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:23 am

Anyone who has died may come back, as long as they believe in their own hearts, and actually want to come back, and the Sun and Moon still exist, etc etc, blah blah blah, whatever Yui & Rei said. The way I understand this, Asuka can come back (if she did die at the end, but I don't think she did, she and Asuka were survivors in my view), Kaji, Misato, Ritsuko, Maya, Hyuga, anyone, everyone.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:39 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Monkey. Explain this.

This is off one of the associated CDs - the original VAs and Anno are amusing themselves by breaking the 4th wall.

Now I understand. I should really utilise the rescources on this site apart from the writings and the forums. But then again, I was never a big anime fan.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

K2Grey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:37 pm

The sound only version of Episode 1 Angel Attack is truly amazing :) Especially whoever mimiced the guitar.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:09 am

Phoenix Feet wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:Actually, no. EoE was what was intended all along, and the success of the show meant that they actually had got the budget to make the real ending. We even have bits of EoE in episode 25 (and more in in storyboard form). See http://www.stevegilham.com/nge/manyworlds.html#originaleotv

God, thank you. That "Piss off the Fans" theory pisses ME off way more than the film.

It's irritating that people can so easily believe that Anno made the film to hurt them, just 'cause they have trouble dealing with a (in some ways) disturbing ending. Egocentric jerks.

Why? It would be a valid reason to make a movie. I do not think it's like that, but he does have a little message since the threats got some screen time.

Now, something irritating is that everyone calls it EVA. NGE ftw!
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:42 am

chiefen wrote:Now, something irritating is that everyone calls it EVA. NGE ftw!

Eva is easier to type.
Asuka > Rei

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”