A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Maybe the Katsuragi Expedition found a similar chamber at Adam's resting place? ...Alright, even I'll admit that's a bit of a stretch.

When I see these ties, I tend to make spur-of-the-moment posts. It's just how I express my enthusiasm, I guess. I need to work on that.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

orgsun
Embryo

Re: A couple Reiquarium pictures in more detail

•      
  •      

Postby orgsun » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Soyuz 11 docking with Salyut 1
http://www.scienceclarified.com/scitech/Space-Stations/Modest-Beginnings-Salyut-and-Skylab.html

via http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1826855599

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Excellent find!

Now just who are those two figures that are clearly NOT in the docking pic and what the hell are they doing?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:29 am

Jesus Reichu, I feel like you just solved a Millennium Prize Problem.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Excellent find!

Now just who are those two figures that are clearly NOT in the docking pic and what the hell are they doing?

Possibly Seele inspectors. Maybe that's the point of all this, that Seele had a hand in every major scientific advancement? That'd be awfully cliche though.
Last edited by CJD on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

You ain't goin' to hold me down no- CRAP! B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 am

^ Hey, at least there wasn't a pop song. Yet.

And the hell? did they purposefully drop the second C in order to obscure what it was?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

Re: You ain't goin' to hold me down no- CRAP! B/

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:06 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:And the hell? did they purposefully drop the second C in order to obscure what it was?

..what?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Watch the C. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 am

Watch the gif, the second C in "CCCP" slowly disappears, and we know it's supposed to be there because we can still see the window slightly below it.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Watch the C. B/

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Watch the gif, the second C in "CCCP" slowly disappears, and we know it's supposed to be there because we can still see the window slightly below it.

Yeah, he's right. That is kinda strange. Whoever made that image did that purposefully.

Does anyone know where I can find all the Reiquarium images cleaned like this one?

And if not, would anyone like to take on that project? I would try cleaning them myself, but it would take me a couple of months just to learn how to use Photoshop or a similar program. XP
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 am

Is it just because the picture is blurry, or did they re-draw the Soyuz's microwave antenna to look like a person sitting on the spaceship?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:53 am

riffraff: Here.

wayneiac: With respect to the rest of the photo's down-shift in quality, the antenna looks precisely like it ought to.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am

Now that you mention it, the additions to that image look like they could be new pieces of instrumentation, rather than people.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Now that you mention it, the additions to that image look like they could be new pieces of instrumentation, rather than people.

The actual Reiquarium image helps put things in perspective.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

Re: Watch the C. B/

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:01 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Watch the gif, the second C in "CCCP" slowly disappears, and we know it's supposed to be there because we can still see the window slightly below it.

Oh, derp on my part.

@Riff I dunno, I still think they look like people.

wooser
Embryo

Someone please tell us what it is.

•      
  •      

Postby wooser » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 am

This probably isn't the best place to post this but I didn't think it'd be worth getting an admin to make me a scribe just so I could post this on the discussion page.

"This one is well nigh impossible to see. Someone please tell us what it is. It seems to exist only in this version. Some people see the blob in the lower right corner as a woman in an ankle length skirt, but this seems a lot less likely when you see the shot in motion. There is, however, a tile floor visible in the lower right, and there seems to be writing of some sort over the Rei in the upper right. (The one looking back over her shoulder.)" http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:Tank_image_22.jpg

I stared at it for a while thinking it was a circle of armchairs but after a while is just looks like a tokyo street? Like this http://racemaps.org.uk/tok0.jpg with a scooter and 2 men crossing a street. Heres a really bad mspaint represent of what I see http://i.imgur.com/138fD.png

Of course, this would have absolutely nothing to do with EVA. It's probably a photo of right outside gainax office at the time. I got owned?
no thjank you, no thank you, no thank you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:56 am

Of all the Reiquarium pics, that is one that has most resisted analysis, just a lot of Rorschach interpretation.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Image

There is definitely something looking like a signpost in the middle of the upper right quadrant, so a street scene is plausible. From what I recall of their various office locations, probably not a shot out GAINAX's front door, however plausible that might seem.

Related --
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/3782/M ... eiquarium/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/11960/ ... re-detail/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

View Original Postsomeguy wrote:I was looking through the Reiquarium article and noticed a few images had very sparse descriptions admitting most of the details of the photos weren't recognized. I decided to try using the difference blending mode in Photoshop to compare these images with the clean ones off of the Platinum DVDs and see if I could better tell what was going on (it turns out others have tried this but as far as I can tell I got a better read of what's going on in the picture).

The first image I checked was the "Lincoln" image (It's not Lincoln).
There are three men in this picture, in a semicircle. A bearded man's head is visible near the upper right of the image. Another man, wearing glasses, is about a third of the image to the left - his arm is extended towards a round object below the bearded man. A third man is shown in profile in the bottom left - he also has his arm (wristwatch visible) reaching under the bearded man's head.

The second image had an even more vague description of a man looking down.

There are four men in this picture, standing around a large piece of paper laid out flat. Their heads form a diagonal line starting just to the right of the upper left corner. Two of them have their hands resting on the paper. The rightmost man is most detailed, wearing a jacket, his arm extended towards the paper. There appears to be scaffolding in the background.
This image is almost certainly a photograph.

--

Hopefully this isn't old news that just hadn't made it to the article and I haven't wasted my time :P

I know what the second image is. It a scene from an old German expressionist horror film from the early 20th century called "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:I know what the second image is. It a scene from an old German expressionist horror film from the early 20th century called "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"

Any way you could get a screenshot that matches the Reiquarium image? This would be a pretty significant find if we can confirm it!

EDIT: Found the full movie on YouTube. Might watch it later tonight to see if I can spot the aforementioned image. Who knows; Anno could've drawn more than one of the Reiquarium images from this movie.

EDIT: If anyone's still interested in looking into the really mysterious one, I made a negative of it a while back but had no means of uploading it then.

Here's the original image:
Original  SPOILER: Show

and here's the negative:
Negative  SPOILER: Show

I find that flipping back and forth between the two helps to bring out some more detail. By doing that, I'm able to see what looks like a road gong off into the distance through the center of the image. What else can you guys make out of this?
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:One more thing I just noticed in defense of my theory: Look how well the cut of the arms and torso line up with the footage of Eva-01 being grown and grafted from Lilith:

SPOILER: Show

Basically, instead of excavating the whole thing it looks in both instances as if they simply cut her from the ground. Presumably her arm regenerated later to be as seen in the show in Terminal Dogma. I could also be wrong about the placement of the head in the image; admittedly it's the weakest part of the theory. The head could also be still buried and not in the amorphous shape I envision; another idea is that since her mask wouldn't have been applied yet, they didn't want to draw some original face and thus left the head very undefined. That's a pretty weak idea though.

Also I agree the upper right is clearly a building/cabin type structure. Wish more folks were speculating on the big red chair thing in the foreground on the lower right.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT FIRST IMAGE??? Also, is this image the basis for why people tend to think that Eva Unit 1's body is a clone of Lilith?? I must know more on this, because up until recently, I always thought that Unit 1 and the others were clones of Adam...
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:I know what the second image is. It a scene from an old German expressionist horror film from the early 20th century called "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"
Thanks for that. We're slowly crowdsourcing our way to have the sources all these images.

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:What else can you guys make out of this?
This one is quite the Rorschach blot.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:53 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT FIRST IMAGE??? Also, is this image the basis for why people tend to think that Eva Unit 1's body is a clone of Lilith?? I must know more on this, because up until recently, I always thought that Unit 1 and the others were clones of Adam...

That first image is also from the Reiquarium sequence. The second is the one that I mentioned in my last post here. I think it was stated somewhere in the series that Unit-01 was made from Lilith. That's why it played such a pivotal role in SEELE's version of Instrumentality.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”