Positron Rifles

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:44 pm

fuckers, get out of my thread :evil:

can we please get back on topic?

Obviously, you cant stand eachother, so why dont you shut up, grin and bear it, and complain to everyone else behind their backs?

Good, now get out or start talking about the topic

:evil:

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:15 pm

My guess is that the positrons don't directly destroy the angel. The damage done to it might be resulted from energy released with the positrons coming in contact with air around the angel.

In more detail here's what I mean, Nerve seems to have found a way to channel positrons along some sort of particle beam so that they don't interact with normal matter causing them to explode as soon as their shot. My guess is that the angels at field might disrupt that beam enough so that the positrons contact normal matter in the air and can then do damage to the angel.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:26 am

Defectron wrote:My guess is that the positrons don't directly destroy the angel. The damage done to it might be resulted from energy released with the positrons coming in contact with air around the angel.

In more detail here's what I mean, Nerve seems to have found a way to channel positrons along some sort of particle beam so that they don't interact with normal matter causing them to explode as soon as their shot. My guess is that the angels at field might disrupt that beam enough so that the positrons contact normal matter in the air and can then do damage to the angel.

Eeeeeextraordinary! That would be make sense, yes. It would imply a rather advanced ability to manipulate magnetic fields, though. :?

Also, Zugzwang, if you want to continue this, PM me or something, so we don't clog up Shnooks' thread.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:29 pm

Space Penis wrote:Zugzwang, if you want to continue this, PM me or something, so we don't clog up Shnooks' thread.

Fair enough.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:19 pm

Simply enough, Eva is an anime. Anno is a human. Humans make mistakes, animes don't always make sense.

Maybe Anno jsut thought the word Positron was cool for all we know, so it ain't out jon to go this deep into Eva. >.>

sheareraehs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sheareraehs » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 pm

In Episode 5, Ritsuko says the angels consist of solidified light. Light is made of photons, which is a wave or a particle.

Sooo...Why in the world would they possibly use a positron rifle to defeat the angels? For people who dont know what a positron is, a positron is an anti-particle of an electron, and it has a positive charge.

Well, if they shot positrons at at angel, it wouldnt really destroy matter but add matter on. And that is IF the positrons didnt react with the electrons in the air.

So, why would they possibly attack with position rifles? And, if it can go through an AT feild and annihilate it, does that mean the AT feilds are electrons

I'd thought I'd re-post the original question...

My $0.02: First off in Evangelion, you have to take everything with a grain of salt because the show contains a lot of disinformation. Likewise, while probably technobabble (gobbledygook), Dr. Akagi's comment about the Angels being composed of solidfied light could be explained as an extension of the string theory which lumps all of matter and energy into different manifestations of the same primordial "stuff". Angels cannot simply be made of electromagnetic radiation (light) since they do not exibit a single behavior of EM radiation, but instead they show all of the traits of being some kind of solid matter (you can eat them, or put them into your hand for example). Most importaintly they seem to have a rest mass.

At any rate, unbridled release of energy from anti-matter/matter annilation is just as good of away to kill Angels considering the ways that the other angels died: self destruction, stabed, crushed, being eaten, shot (w/ bullets), crucified (the old tricks are still the best), absorbed into an EVA core and detonated, forced to drink coolant, hit with the "Lance", hacked and re-programed to death, and being force-fed a pair of light battleships. (did i miss something?)

How a positron rifle is supposed to work... well that's probably not easy. Technically, you're probably dealing with positronium, a meta-stable coupled positron/electron pair that behaves a lot like the hydrogen atom (w/out the mass). If you can get an electron and a positron to couple with the same quantum spin state (ortho- pairing), then the positronium has a halflife of a whopping 142 ns (in a vacuum) before a stray electron annilates the positron, which is almost long enough to be useful. I suspect positronium instead of naked positrons because the resulting discharge from the rifle did not appear to behave like a bunch of charged particles, they discharged in a straight line. If they were charged, you could not aim it, the discharge would find the nearest opposite charge to neutralize itself like a bolt of anti-lightning.

Here are a few reasons why my ideas could be just a bunch of crap. I can't explain why a computer was needed to account for earth's curvature (it's line of sight!), but the gravitational correction (mass distorts space), and the rotation of the Earth correction (coriolis force) make some sense. But if all Shinji had to do was pull the trigger, why even mention them? And I can't explain why the beams deflected each other when the Angel fired at Unit 01 when it made it's first shot. I also don't know how they were supposed to generate that much anti-matter with just electricity. Traditionally positrons are made from radioactive decay (like from Na22 to Ne22). I suppose it could be done with a particle accelerator, but...

As for the quantum nature of the AT field... I'm not going to touch that on this post (sorry, i just don't have a hypothesis with any supporting evidence just yet).

Food for thought. I think i addressed the original question(s) as best I could. So before I digress any further, discuss - or don't.
[This space for rent]

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:08 pm

I'm by no means an authority on the interactions of matter and anti-matter, but I'd like to say that the "hard light" supposedly composing the bodies of the angels is remarkably similar to the explanations of the holodeck/suite holograms from Star Trek. So we're basically dealing with solid holograms generated by an S2 engine run by what we can only call an ETI. The only problem with this hypothesis is in explaining how these solidified holograms remain after the destruction of the angels' cores....

I would assume that the AT field manifests as an extremely intense electromagnetic field projected by the cores of the angels/Evangelions, the mass of which would be almost entirely composed of electrons. Piggybacking or encapsulating a positron stream with an insulating particle beam or radially projected magnetic field (yes, I'm talking out of my ass here..but maybe it'll be possible in the future ;)) would seem to be an effective counter to such a field, opening it to the degree that the ensuing explosion and accompanying projectile stream could strike the angel's core and kill it. Plus, the piggybacking/encapsulating medium would provide stability and enable one to implement the conventional art of aiming a gun.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:28 pm

Shwiggie wrote:I'm by no means an authority on the interactions of matter and anti-matter, but I'd like to say that the "hard light" supposedly composing the bodies of the angels is remarkably similar to the explanations of the holodeck/suite holograms from Star Trek. So we're basically dealing with solid holograms generated by an S2 engine run by what we can only call an ETI. The only problem with this hypothesis is in explaining how these solidified holograms remain after the destruction of the angels' cores....

Um? The holodecks holograms are generated using precise employment of small-scale treknobabble deflectors, aren't they? :?
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

DavT
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DavT » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:52 am

Space Penis wrote:Um? The holodecks holograms are generated using precise employment of small-scale treknobabble deflectors, aren't they? :?

Yes, holodeck technology from ST:TNG and ST:DS9 uses a combination forcefields and replicated matter to create the simulated environment. Countless small precision forcefields overlap to emulate the feel of a brick wall, while a free standing brick that can be picked up would be replicated. No use of the term "hard light" appears in ST, AFAICT, even in the completely out of whack VOY or ENT. The only place I've heard the term hard light is from Red Dwarf.

I'd say that in this case, chulk it up to Angels being made up of something beyond our understanding that's as much matter as it is solidified light. As sheareraehs already pointed out, Angels consistantly behave as if they were made out of matter. Solidified light or not, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

ayanami_the_fifth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ayanami_the_fifth » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:05 am

ice reaper wrote:as is said in the back of special edition.......volume 7 i think; a positron rifle would only work in a vacuum i.e. space, where particles don't interfere with direction and so on of the beam.

this leaves me bewilded to what the reason for its use is.

it seems that a positron rifle needs tremendous amount of energy to be able to work effectively in air 'cause air molecs is MATTER, a small (on EVA scale) rifle without any xternal cable plug or connected to the eva (like gundam hand-plugs) should not even work in air... even if sufficient energy is provided, the power of the rifle weakens greatly per unit distance, as in when Asuka shoots @ da birdlike angel in space...
~ La vie est un fleuve de ...... tranquille ? ~

ayanami_the_fifth
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ayanami_the_fifth » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:07 am

Zugzwang wrote:
Space Penis wrote:[code:1]Ritsuko: You are correct. We do know the Angel is composed of matter which has the properties of both particles and waves, just like light. [/code:1]

Do you think when she says that she isn't refering to 'physical' light at all?

Is this a reference to an Angel's lightbody maybe?

yeah...later when eva01 ate up the s2 organ, isit eating up the LIGHT? then when the evas are fighting or cutting up the angels, are they cutting or fighting LIGHT?
~ La vie est un fleuve de ...... tranquille ? ~

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”