So Where's Russia, Anyway?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat May 14, 2011 6:11 am

Russia is a member of the UN Security Council, and a member of the HIC is a Russian. As we all know, the UN is an organization by which Seele influences the world. Russia is still an influential country in NGE. The show just doesn't delve on geopolitics irrelevant to the plot.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat May 14, 2011 6:21 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Russia is a member of the UN Security Council, and a member of the HIC is a Russian. As we all know, the UN is an organization by which Seele influences the world. Russia is still an influential country in NGE. The show just doesn't delve on geopolitics irrelevant to the plot.

^This.

As for the SEELE ppl, which of the four we see has which number? It should be easy to tell by the voice actors...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat May 14, 2011 6:28 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:As for the SEELE ppl, which of the four we see has which number? It should be easy to tell by the voice actors...

France - Yellow
Russia - Blue
United States of America - Green
United Kingdom - Red

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 14, 2011 6:30 am

@Allemann: You're missing the point. See my previous comment to Kendrix.

@Tines: That's a good point, but the fact that there's a Russian in SEELE indicates Anno and co. still thought Russia would have some play in the world of NGE. And, broken or not, it's not like Japan's nearest neighbor is just gonna up and disappear.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat May 14, 2011 6:48 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:@Allemann: You're missing the point.

I don't see any meaningful point. Asking why they didn't give Russia a more prominent role is like asking why Gendo's sweater isn't a different shade of red.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Sat May 14, 2011 7:16 am

No Soviet Russia joke yet? I'm amazed....

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat May 14, 2011 9:15 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:France - Yellow
Russia - Blue
United States of America - Green
United Kingdom - Red

Not the nationalities, the numbers! (i.e,. when we see them via monoliths)

W know Keel is "SEELE 01", but what about the other few guys we see?
I think the french guy who's always complaining is no 4...

*silly mode*Also, somewhere a feminist is crying and demanded to be included in the ancient conspiracy. Maybe that's what TRULY turned Yui against them XD */silly*
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat May 14, 2011 10:31 am

View Original PostSomeone wrote:No Soviet Russia joke yet? I'm amazed....

O.K. An oldie but a goodie.

A man saves his lifetime to buy a car. After he hands the dealer his money the dealer says, "You may pick it up ten years from today."

The man replies, "Morning or afternoon?"

The flummoxed dealer says, "Morning or afternoon?! What difference does that make? It's ten years from now!"

The customer replies, "The plumber's coming that morning and I don't want to miss him."
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:46 am

I've been itching for a "I can see Russia from my [s]house[/s] Eva!" reference, but I suppose politics is best avoided...

Thanks for the list of HIP's color coding, by the way. How in the world were we supposed to figure that out in the show? I pity those poor people from 1995 who were watching it live for the first time on TV and hadn't thought to fire up the VCR...
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat May 14, 2011 5:13 pm

In Soviet Russia, you pilot many Eva mechs while Shinji embarks on epic journey of insanity filled with mindrapes!

Happy? Read that in Nikolai's voice and you're golden. Feel free to deviate on that.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:@Tarnsman: Anime seems to have a soft spot for France, as well. (I can think of more references to France off the top of my head than to Korea. Then, I could say the same for the U.K...)

Worth remembering that France is one of the largest anime/manga markets in the world (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Manga_publishers#French or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_nouvelle_manga ), and that Japan has long had an interest in and veneration of France, leading to entertaining things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
Last edited by gwern on Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 15, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:Worth remembering that France is one of the largest anime/manga markets in the world (eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Manga_publishers#French or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_nouvelle_manga ), and that Japan has long had an interesting and veneration of France, leading to entertaining things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Wait, so they venerate Germany and France? :gasp:
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun May 15, 2011 8:14 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wait, so they venerate Germany and France? :gasp:

You say that like outsiders care. Europeans can enjoy Chinese & Japanese literature and care not at all for the, shall we say, tensions.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 15, 2011 8:31 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:You say that like outsiders care. Europeans can enjoy Chinese & Japanese literature and care not at all for the, shall we say, tensions.

Yeah, that's true. It was just a bit of a shock, that's all.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon May 16, 2011 12:12 am

It is worth noting that one of the heroines of Anno's Gunbuster, Jung-Freud, was a Soviet space pilot, so I don't think he has shown any special prejudice against Russian* characters.

As mentioned before, Japan has a history of conflict with Russia and an unresolved territorial dispute over the Kurile Islands, but that's not exactly a front-burner security issue compared to North Korea and China. Today Russia is mainly (like almost everyone else) a trading partner with Japan, and thousands of Russians reside in Japan, mainly in Tokyo, Hokkaido, and Niigata. Niigata does a lot of business with the Russian port of Nakhodka, across the Sea of Japan. Vladivostok is famous as a naval port; but precisely for that reason it was closed to foreign shipping during the Cold War, so its lesser-known neighbor of Nakhodka is where the foreign trade got done. Ironically, many of the Japanese connections in Nakhodka came through returning POWs, who were held as forced laborers there and elsewhere in the USSR well into the 1950s (i.e., years after Japan's surrender).

--C.

*"Jung-Freud" may seem like a funny name for a Russian, but so does "Sophie Friederike Auguste von Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg" ^_^

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”