Rei Falling Apart, why?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mordicaii
Embryo

Rei Falling Apart, why?

•      
  •      

Postby Mordicaii » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 pm

In EoE, Rei is in Terminal Dogma with Gendou. Rei's left arm falls off. Why does it do this? Gendou explains that Rei's AT field can no longer hold it's form. Why is this? Has Rei not gotten her many prescriptions filled? Is Lilith chomping at the bit to get out of Rei? Why does her body begin to deteriorate? What indication is there that Third Impact is about to begin? Maybe the proximity of Adam and Lilith? There has to be some reason, arms don't just fall off.

Arm falling off  SPOILER: Show

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 pm

I’ve always thought it was because Rei doesn’t want to be there anymore. She has no desire to remain so her AT field is failing. Or it could just be a sign Third Impact is about to begin.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:46 pm

not enough vitamins?
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Possibilities that have been offered in other threads the past:
  • ATF duel with Kaworu broke her somehow.
  • ritsuko destroying the dummies in 23 has caused a sympathetic reaction in her for some reason.
  • She hasn't been taking her required meds, either by choice or because without Rits nobody bothered to refill her perscription.
  • It's a side effect of lowering her ATF to such a degree that she's no longer really solid.
  • Rei's self image has changed to that of Lilith, thus she can no longer maintain her human form because it doesn't match.
  • Her self-destructive urge has grown so powerful that it manifests physically.
  • It's an intentional act to make room for the arm she's planning to steal.
  • Because Anno, LOL
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 pm

^The penultimate one. Also, because it's funny as SHAYX.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:51 pm

I'd say it's a combination of ALL the reasons NemZ listed, personally. :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

It's a side effect of lowering her ATF to such a degree that she's no longer really solid.

This is basically what I figured. I thought that Rei had made a change in her AT field where it was strong enough for her to maintain her shape, but weak enough for Gendo to enter. She couldn't hold it like that for long because her physical shape would then start to fall apart.

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 pm

The reason for Rei's arm falling off is fairly obvious, her AT field is destablized and/or weakened. Why that happened is the real question.... and I'm probably stating the obvious with that. NemZ has provided many good possible explanations, but many of them are doubtful (namely, Ritsuko destroying the clones and the battle with Kaworu). However, there's still one detail which wasn't mentioned....

What about the analysis of Rei's psyche in episode 25?

I've viewed that scene as the fragments of Rei's soul (Rei II and whichever fragment was in Eva-00) effectively becoming a single entity (Rei III). Assuming EoTV and EoE are concurrent, the analysis of Rei in episode 25 likely took place within her own thoughts while she was immersed in the LCL during EoE. So how convinient is it that Gendo appears at the end of Rei's portion in episode 25 to (essentially) say "It's time."? In EoE, this is also the point where Rei's arm falls off.

Towards the end of her analysis, Rei comes just short saying she hates Gendo for what he's done to her but is still dependent on him for her "release". In that context, Rei deliberating letting her arm fall off so she could acquire the Adam embryo from Gendo's hand does seem rather likely.

Still, some of the other possibilities could be important factors; Rei's suicidal tendencies for example. Or it could simply be Gendo breaking her train of thought by addressing her, and considering the delicate nature of what is happening during Rei's analysis.... oops?
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Commentary of Controversy wrote:Dropped somethin'.

Commentary of Divisiveness wrote:Hey Rei, give me a hand!!

Personally, I had always assumed it to have something to do with the destruction of the Dummy System, possibly indicating that with the System gone, the last remaining Rei had a ticking clock. Gendo keeps talking about "time", after all. Or maybe it had something to do with being in close proximity to Lilith and/or Adam. Or maybe - and here's the shocker - it doesn't really matter all that much in the end. Just a possibility.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Gendo says:
Gendo wrote:There's no time... Your AT Field can no longer hold your shape.
Let's begin, Rei.
Release your AT Field, the barrier of your heart.
Complement your imperfect heart, leave your useless body...
Merge all souls into one.
And then, take me to Yui's side.

Gendo telling Rei to release her AT Field makes it seem Rei can at least somewhat control it. Somewhat meaning that "there is no time" would seem to imply Rei's AT Field can no longer hold her shape.

These 2 things seem to point to 1) Rei having the ability to lower her own AT Field, 2) Her AT Field is diminishing yet Rei cannot sustain it.

The other possibility is 1) Rei having the ability to lower her own AT Field, 2) Rei has the ability to sustain her own AT Field but chooses not to. But this doesn't quite jive with the first thing that Gendo says, which seems to imply that he is strapped for time because of Rei's diminishing AT Field. Otherwise, couldn't he just ask her to stick together for a little longer?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 am

@Ornette: The A.T. Field is fundamentally the barrier separating one mind from another; holding a body together is just one function it can have. So even if, for reasons undetermined, Rei's ATF fails to keep her body together, it would still presumably keep her mind/heart/whatever partitioned off. And I guess Gendo can't do his 3I magicks unless Rei "opens up" to him.

gatotsu911 wrote:Or maybe - and here's the shocker - it doesn't really matter all that much in the end. Just a possibility.

Now we're getting philosophical.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:11 am

I always wondered if it had something to do with those LCL baths she took... Here ATF not being able to sustain her doesn't really tell us much since it doesn't tell us WHY.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Now we're getting philosophical.
*Waits for Xard and/or Allemann to tell us we're only being pseudo-philosophical*
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I always wondered if it had something to do with those LCL baths she took... Here ATF not being able to sustain her doesn't really tell us much since it doesn't tell us WHY.

It's made obvious in EoTV (and pretty clear throughout the series) that Rei's most driving emotion is the will to death. As Rei II, she wouldn't have known why she wanted the Rei Ayanami form to end, because she isn't fully aware that she is Lilith and therefore driven to return to Lilith's form. As Rei III, she is conscious of that fact (or made conscious by Kaworu, or whatever) and so she stops repressing her desire to abandon the Rei form. Splat.

As to why she's being driven to return to Lilith's form...hell if I know. It probably just fits her better. She certainly seems a lot more at ease as god than she ever did pretending she was a normal person.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:33 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Here ATF not being able to sustain her doesn't really tell us much since it doesn't tell us WHY.

When you put the soul of an organism into a body it doesn't naturally inhabit, instability is a likely option.

*Waits for Xard and/or Allemann to tell us we're only being pseudo-philosophical*

You're only being pseudophilosophical.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:43 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:When you put the soul of an organism into a body it doesn't naturally inhabit, instability is a likely option.
But Lilith DID naturally inhabit a chunk of PWM. I don't know what makes the Rei bodies any different than Lilith save for the size. Maybe Rei's ATF was too powerful for such a small amount of the material.

View Original PostAllemann wrote:You're only being pseudophilosophical.
^_^
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 am

A better question is why even after Gendo's soul was extracted, half his body remained untanged. The answer to that would explain quite easily why Rei starts falling apart -- because it implies that AT fields (at least when constructed in the form of flesh) are something which must be broken down, not merely ceased to be maintained.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:28 am

View Original PostThe Abhorrent wrote:NemZ has provided many good possible explanations, but many of them are doubtful (namely, Ritsuko destroying the clones and the battle with Kaworu). However, there's still one detail which wasn't mentioned...

It wasn't my idea, but it isn't impossible. If I recall correctly, the theory was developed based on Ritsuko in 24 telling Gendo "I didn't destroy the Dummy System, I destroyed Rei." or something to that effect, implying this was going to somehow affect her... somehow. I don't entirely get it, but then none of the rest of these make perfect sense to me either. :chinscratch:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 am

I'd say she was making her intentions clear: it's not that she wanted to sabotage the Dummy system, she destroyed the Rei bodies, the image of Rei, out of spite. Also, with the bodies now gone, there are no "spare parts" for Rei any more. I doubt it had any direct effect on Rei III though.
just a signature

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 am

My memory could be a little fuzzy, but I don't think Gendo's time comment (it was something like, "there isn't much time left," right?) had anything to do with Rei's ability to hold her current form. I've always thought that Gendo was just referring to the fact that 3I was about to take place above his head, and he wanted to make sure he got to Rei before everything went down.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Apjak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Apjak » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 am

I'd say you can take this one all the way back to the "I am I" poem/speech/mantra. Rei was who she was because of the links she formed with others, and back to Ramiel, because she was bonded to the eva. If we're to believe Kaworu that the ATF is really the "light of the soul", than because Rei III has none of the links to people, or to Eva 00 (Thanks Armisael), then she may indeed be falling apart at the soul. This would also make sence of the "Ikari-kun" when she took Gendo's hand and was no longer falling apart. She then had a link with someone again. She had a soul.

This theory also could explain why Rei II had to be in the brain machine thing at the Reiquarium, and why when Ritsuko destroyed them they fell apart. Rei II was giving them a proxy soul, and Ritsuko had to do nothing more than "turn off the feed".

I also think insidiously, that if Ritsuko had something to do with Rei's creation, then Ritsuko's "Why Hello Rei" to Rei I infront of Naoko might have been an attempt to imprint upon her a soul, and it might have been immediately after her successful creation. But that's just conjecture.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”