About Adam's soul getting back into his body

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TonyTH
Adam

About Adam's soul getting back into his body

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:09 am

So I'm actually here to share a theory this time as opposed to asking a question. I'm also aware you guys could of already talked about/solved this matter for all I know, but here it goes ; P

So we all are aware that Adam's soul got back into it's body after Kaworu died. Nooot really so much on the how...had a thought while I was talking with some buddies about something...

Rei was our little soul collector in EoE. A few people in pre-third impact saw her as well(Misato, Ritsuko). Guess who also saw her before a minute of silence and getting his head popped off?

Perhaps Rei collected Kaworu's soul and put it back? Gendo could of ordered her too as well for all we know.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:49 am

I never really put much thought into that... I was too busy thinking "WTF, there's a GNK growing out of GNR's hips!" I suppose your theory sounds reasonable enough, though.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 am

I think the most accepted explanation is that Kaworu's soul ended up back in the embryo in Gendo's hand after he was killed (Adam's soul, Adam's body). The embryo when into Rei in EoE. Rei returned to Lilith and now we have Kaworu appearing out of Lilith.

The Rei soul collecting thing has a few kinks in it, as souls weren't collected at all until Shinji said he wanted everyone to die, and that was after Kaworu appeared out of Lilith (Rei). When the soul leaves, no AT Field to hold the shape of the body so they all turn into LCL; this is an important point.

Rei apparitions appeared before Misato and Ritsuko at the times of their deaths, but this happens before Shinji said he wanted everyone to die:

Later on, we see that Ritsuko didn't turn into LCL, she's still floating around, implying that her soul hasn't left the body yet:

Much later, after 3rd impact is started and we see Rei's going around collecting souls and leaving puddles of LCL, NOW we see her collect Misato's and Ritsuko's souls:

So the soul collecting happens after Kaworu pops out of Rei/Lilith. Although it's possible there's some special case with Rei collecting Kaworu's soul specifically and that he's an Angel or whatever, and there's really no explanation on how Kaworu's soul ended up in the embryo, it still seems like the Kaworu's soul -> embryo -> Rei -> Lilith is the most straightfoward.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:08 am

That's the real Rei in Terminal Dogma, not a phantom soul-collecting Rei. Adam's soul went into the embryo the same way Rei 2's soul went into Rei 3; Nerv took it out of the old body and placed it into the new body.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:20 pm

No, Rei was stark naked at the time. These are all phantoms. Either Gendo returned Kaworu's soul to the embryo in his hand or he fished it out of Kaworu's remains in the LCL lake and placed it in Lilith. Or maybe it was just floating around, and was sucked into the sequence of events by Rei-Lilith.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

lilim
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby lilim » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm

why would Gendo put Adam's soul into Lilith? i agree that the Kaworu's soul -> embryo -> Rei -> Lilith thing makes the most sense.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:59 pm

View Original Postlilim wrote:why would Gendo put Adam's soul into Lilith?

That's where it winds up eventually anyway, so he might have figured on cutting out the middleman. I doubt it, though; Sadamoto's manga is very clear that the Adambryo contains Adam's soul once Kaworu dies, and while anything the manga says should be thought hard about before applying it to the anime, I don't see any reason to doubt it here.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Maybe Adam's soul returned to its proper place -- Adam's body -- by its own, because there's a natural, unbreakable bond between each body and soul. There were no constrictions, either Kaworu's body or an AT. Field, that can hinder this reunion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:and placed it in Lilith.
EoE suggests not

Gendo:
Adam and I are now as one... For this is the only way to be with Yui again.
The forbidden joining of Adam and Lilith.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Rei apparitions appeared before Misato and Ritsuko at the times of their deaths, but this happens before Shinji said he wanted everyone to die:

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:No, Rei was stark naked at the time. These are all phantoms. Either Gendo returned Kaworu's soul to the embryo in his hand or he fished it out of Kaworu's remains in the LCL lake and placed it in Lilith. Or maybe it was just floating around, and was sucked into the sequence of events by Rei-Lilith.

I was refering to her appearence in Ep. 24, referenced in the first post. That is, Kaworu's soul was not collected at that time as Tony TH suggested, but was salvaged into the embryo by Gendo. I didn't consider the intervening posts when I made that post.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I always assumed returning Adam's soul to it's vessel was a necessity to use it's full power, otherwise Gendo could've cut out Rei and merged with Lilith himself, right?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:20 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostOrnette wrote:Rei apparitions appeared before Misato and Ritsuko at the times of their deaths, but this happens before Shinji said he wanted everyone to die:

I meant that in the context that the apparitions that appeared were NOT collecting their souls (whereas the later apparitions were, leaving puddles of LCL). Unless you're suggesting that the first bookend Rei was actually there to collect Shinji's soul?

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

Re: About Adam's soul getting back into his body

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 pm

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:So I'm actually here to share a theory this time as opposed to asking a question. I'm also aware you guys could of already talked about/solved this matter for all I know, but here it goes ; P

So we all are aware that Adam's soul got back into it's body after Kaworu died. Nooot really so much on the how...had a thought while I was talking with some buddies about something...

Rei was our little soul collector in EoE. A few people in pre-third impact saw her as well(Misato, Ritsuko). Guess who also saw her before a minute of silence and getting his head popped off?

Perhaps Rei collected Kaworu's soul and put it back? Gendo could of ordered her too as well for all we know.

Actually my first post on eva geeks was about this issue.
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=245981&highlight=#245981[/url]
That the Rei we see before Kaworu's demise is the same Rei we see at the opening and ending of the series. She didn't need to put the soul back into the embryo, just collected it. The embryo is the last missing piece, the body.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:20 am

^
No, that's Rei 3, she's there to find out the truth about Kaworu, and herself. The plot doesn't flow properly otherwise.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”