Weird question

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:35 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wait, did the harpies even have souls? I guess they'd have to, but I never really thought about it.

I think the reasoning behind them having souls is that they can generate AT Fields = there's a soul. Some think that the scene when they're up in space and they pierce their cores is to release the souls within the core so they can take part in instrumentality.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I think the reasoning behind them having souls is that they can generate AT Fields = there's a soul.

Kaworu's explanation to Shinji makes it a little difficult to understand this any other way. It does have some interesting ramifications, though; if GNR absorbs them into her AT field (hence they take on warped versions of her form) then is she writing over their souls some how? Cause if so that's about as fucked up as anything else in EoE.

There's also that rockin' old wild-mass-guessing theory that they have the souls of the rest of Class 2A, right?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Re: Weird question

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:13 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Apologies if it's been asked before, but...

...did Kyoko make it to Instrumentality? I never really gave it much thought, but given that Unit 02's core was pierced when Rei was witnessing everyone, and Asuka managed to make it through somehow, and we know Yui made it, and at least part of Kyoko is in Unit 02's core...well, isn't it possible she also made it somehow? And if so, is she tanged as of EoE?

I realize signs point to "unlikely"; Kyoko physically died years ago, her soul was bisected during her Contact experiment, we have no way of knowing if the soul was ever made whole, Unit 02's core was pierced by a LoL replica (which does bad things to AT fields, and might have mucked things up), etc. But still, imagine if it did happen. That'd be better for Asuka than probably anything one could imagine happening with Shinji.

What can I say? I'm a die-hard romantic, and I really like Asuka. :sweatdrop:

That is an interesting concept. It needs a fan fic.
And anything Asuka and Shinji do together will be awsome for both of them.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Weird question

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Apologies if it's been asked before, but...

...did Kyoko make it to Instrumentality?

Dead people like Misato show up in pseudo-Instrumentality mindtrips (i cite this because it's much less ambiguous than the Harpies), and as far as we know, Soul Harvesting is an indiscriminiate process to all living things, so yeah, why not?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:42 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:There's also that rockin' old wild-mass-guessing theory that they have the souls of the rest of Class 2A, right?

That's from the unused scene in EoE where Kensuke mentions that they're all being shipped off to Germany and someone (Shin-seiki maybe?) joked that they're being put into the MPE's.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:That's from the unused scene in EoE where Kensuke mentions that they're all being shipped off to Germany and someone (Shin-seiki maybe?) joked that they're being put into the MPE's.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Bit more of a joke than a theory proper, I guess - although it's really as good an explanation as anything we're given (read: nothing).

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Dead people like Misato show up in pseudo-Instrumentality mindtrips (i cite this because it's much less ambiguous than the Harpies), and as far as we know, Soul Harvesting is an indiscriminiate process to all living things, so yeah, why not?

To all Lilith-derived living things - even Yui counts as one of these, given Unit 01's origins. Does an Eva? That's not clear to me - it seems that the MP Evas had to destroy their own cores in order to release their souls. Does Unit 02's core ever get destroyed? I don't think we know.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:To all Lilith-derived living things - even Yui counts as one of these, given Unit 01's origins. Does an Eva? That's not clear to me - it seems that the MP Evas had to destroy their own cores in order to release their souls. Does Unit 02's core ever get destroyed? I don't think we know.

If the final spear didn't destroy it (I've seen it said in various places that it did, but don't know how anyone would know that) I'd assume it was destroyed when GNR used the Geofront to do her soul harvesting thing. Unit 02's remains were inside the Geofront at the time, after all.

If the core was destroyed by GNR I'd assume all was well, since the soul would (presumably) be released and mixed in with all the others. It's only really an issue if it was destroyed by one of the lances since they might be able to destroy souls outright.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:32 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:(....)I'd assume [the core] was destroyed when GNR used the Geofront to do her soul harvesting thing. Unit 02's remains were inside the Geofront at the time, after all.

This. Unit-02's core was most likely physically destroyed when the Black Moon emerged from underground.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:To all Lilith-derived living things - even Yui counts as one of these, given Unit 01's origins. Does an Eva?

Eh, there are so many unknowns that it's nigh impossible to answer. For example, what counts as Lilith derived? Having a body of an LCL based creature, or having a soul that comes from Lilith's storage (Room of Guf)? I could go on, but it would only produce a murky mess of a tangent.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:07 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:This. Unit-02's core was most likely physically destroyed when the Black Moon emerged from underground.

Reichu says "that the last spear the harpies throw go through Eva-02 right where the core would be". She also cites the fact Kyoko-sama goes limp after the final stab.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:16 am

View Original PostLogan Payne wrote:Reichu says "that the last spear the harpies throw go through Eva-02 right where the core would be". She also cites the fact Kyoko-sama goes limp after the final stab.

I would submit that nine stabs will do that to ya, core or no core.

Edit: which is to say, "I like ya, Reichu, and have great respect for yuir opinions, but needs moar evidence."

Also, I needs less rum, but that's a separate issue.

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:28 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I would submit that nine stabs will do that to ya, core or no core.

Asuka snapped one of the harpies in half and it got up...

P.S.
[03:38am] Reichu: Hey Logan, relay this for me: My evidence is (1) destroying core is what actually kills Eva or Angel; (2) after last Spear hits and Eva-02 goes limp, Maya screams about Eva-02 and Asuka being fill-in-the-blank dead. Watching Eva-02's final moments in slow-mo helps clinch things, too, but I'm not in any position to share a GIF now.
[03:38am] Reichu: I SWEAR THAT WILL BE ALL
Last edited by Logan Payne on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:37 am

View Original PostLogan Payne wrote:Reichu says "that the last spear the harpies throw go through Eva-02 right where the core would be". She also cites the fact Kyoko-sama goes limp after the final stab.

Okay, so it was destroyed earlier. We don't know if that implies anything about the fate of the soul it contains, though. If the Harpies are really shclicking with the Deathforks to release their souls, then this means it's almost positive that Kyoko was also part of the group therapy.

Since the narrative isn't the least bit concerned with Kyoko's fate (T_T), we can assume pretty much anything we want, as others have pointed out already.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 am

View Original PostLogan Payne wrote:Asuka snapped one of the harpies in half and it got up...

Yeah, but the fucker cheated.

P.S.
[03:38am] Reichu: Hey Logan, relay this for me: My evidence is (1) destroying core is what actually kills Eva or Angel; (2) after last Spear hits and Eva-02 goes limp, Maya screams about Eva-02 and Asuka being fill-in-the-blank dead. Watching Eva-02's final moments in slow-mo helps clinch things, too, but I'm not in any position to share a GIF now.
[03:38am] Reichu: I SWEAR THAT WILL BE ALL

Heh. Okay, pass along my thanks.

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Okay, so it was destroyed earlier. We don't know if that implies anything about the fate of the soul it contains, though. If the Harpies are really shclicking with the Deathforks to release their souls, then this means it's almost positive that Kyoko was also part of the group therapy.

If that's what they were doing. As I recall, though, that business is just part of the WTF?!?scape that is SEELE's grand design.

Since the narrative isn't the least bit concerned with Kyoko's fate (T_T), we can assume pretty much anything we want, as others have pointed out already.

Plenty of fine works have done more with less, admittedly.

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:35 pm

What i don't get, is why Asuka not only died when the eva 02 got frickin mutilated, but why is this the first time (that I remember) where the damage done to her Eva literally was the same as the damage done to her (except for having her insides ripped out and stuff)

Is it because she was going berserk at the end and was at a point in plug depth where she was so close to becoming one with the Eva that the damage done to it's arm did the same thing to hers?

I is confused
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 pm

View Original PostShinji wrote:What i don't get, is why Asuka not only died when the eva 02 got frickin mutilated, but why is this the first time (that I remember) where the damage done to her Eva literally was the same as the damage done to her (except for having her insides ripped out and stuff)

Is it because she was going berserk at the end and was at a point in plug depth where she was so close to becoming one with the Eva that the damage done to it's arm did the same thing to hers?

I is confused

Lances of Longinus do damage to the AT fields of Angels and Evas, which apparently transfers in reduced form to the pilot.

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:11 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Lances of Longinus do damage to the AT fields of Angels and Evas, which apparently transfers in reduced form to the pilot.

A-ha! That actually makes some sense. Even explains why she was injured in the eye (but not impaled) and why she didn't actually have her organs ripped out by the MPE's.
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Ornette wrote:Some think that the scene when they're up in space and they pierce their cores is to release the souls within the core so they can take part in instrumentality.

If this is true and Unit-02's core was pierced by the LoL, it is possible that Kyoko-sama's soul was released from Unit-02 and did not linger long enough for it to be trapped in the Room of Guf during Tangification...so it could just be drifting in space somewhere waiting for a new body to inhabit.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:37 am

No, if it was freed, it was collected by Rei. The same goes for pretty much all souls on the Earth that existed in the past several days at the very least, apparently.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:That's from the unused scene in EoE where Kensuke mentions that they're all being shipped off to Germany and someone (Shin-seiki maybe?) joked that they're being put into the MPE's.
Just for the record, I don't think that was me; I find that notion both appalling and not very persuasive. I tend to prefer the idea that the souls were probably harvested from some poor schmucks that wouldn't be missed. Since the MPEs are only intended to be controlled by the Kaworu-based dummy plugs, the identity of their souls is a moot point, as a narrative issue.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:No, if it was freed, it was collected by Rei. The same goes for pretty much all souls on the Earth that existed in the past several days at the very least, apparently.

Perhaps as far back as Kaji's death, if his presence in Instrumentality is any indication.

Edit: on a side note, this reminds me that EoE isn't nearly as dark as it's made out to be. Everyone who's died over the course of the past several days (or weeks) can potentially come back to life, and any badness caused by Third Impact necessarily didn't take a single life. That's not so bad as disasters go.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”