Why is Classified Information accepted as gospel?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:10 pm

FAR were hinted at in episode 21? SAUCE, please.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:18 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:FAR were hinted at in episode 21? SAUCE, please.

Gendo tells Fuyutsuki, speaking of the Geofront, "It was built by someone who wasn't us".
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:43 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Gendo tells Fuyutsuki, speaking of the Geofront, "It was built by someone who wasn't us".

And it would be almost impossible to connect that to the FAR without prior knowledge of them. That could refer to anyone! FAR, Seele, Nazis, the Knights Templar, anyone.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Kaji (who wears Misato's clothes to teach Shinji how to get girls >_> ) and Fuyutsuki (who dresses Shinji up in various outfits because of his Yui-obsession)

Now I want this game even more.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 pm

View Original PostDirty Mick wrote:Wait, what? Whaa...

:stars:

You've been warned. :lol:

Kaji: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enD-D9mMV1g

Fuyutsuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:11 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:And it would be almost impossible to connect that to the FAR without prior knowledge of them. That could refer to anyone! FAR, Seele, Nazis, the Knights Templar, anyone.

The sci-fi cliche of "ancient construct from space buried within Earth" doesn't suggest the sci-fi cliche "mystical race of vanished precursors" to you?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:The sci-fi cliche of "ancient construct from space buried within Earth" doesn't suggest the sci-fi cliche "mystical race of vanished precursors" to you?

No, not really.
/hj

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:42 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Where in the RCB does it say that Naoko is in Unit-00?

Yeah, what he said.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:07 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:And it would be almost impossible to connect that to the FAR without prior knowledge of them. That could refer to anyone! FAR, Seele, Nazis, the Knights Templar, anyone.

The context of that statement in episode 21 is that the geofront is identical to the one found in Antarctica, which was built by someone "not us". So you're left with the choice of either reconciling the possibility that some other human beings (like the Nazis, the Knights Templar, or anyone) built a gigantic cavern that is made of a material unknown to mankind in the 21st century (neutrino scan screenshot), placed a gigantic space alien in it, then buried it in a barren Antarctica; or you can assume it was built by aliens. I guess it would be easier to reconcile that Seele could have possibly built it, but then you'd have to make sense of the entire Katsuragi Expedition. Seems the easiest choice to interpret "someone not us" is that it was alien.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:24 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:No, not really.

You could always read more crappy paperback sci-fi, I guess, but that trope is old - the most obvious instance being that favorite of Anno's, 2001, albeit TMA-1 is on the moon and not Earth when discovered.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Yeah, what he said.

I'm almost positive it doesn't say that anywhere. RCB is pretty coy on the subject of resident souls other than Yui's.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:You could always read more crappy paperback sci-fi, I guess, but that trope is old - the most obvious instance being that favorite of Anno's, 2001, albeit TMA-1 is on the moon and not Earth when discovered.

Or the protoculture from SDF Macross (which Anno worked on as a key animator) who was an ancient race that created both the humans and Zentradi, who happened to be fighting a war against each other (not much unlike the Angels and humans in NGE) throughout the TV series.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Actually in the first place the FAR was mentioned in the Evangelion Proposal, probably they were only hinted in the series to add more "mysteries" (to a series that was already filled with half-truths and mysteries) but they're definitely not a post-added explanation/addition.
Anyway :clap: to Reichu's post (poor Reichu and especially poor SSD that must act as intermediary XD); that game can offer many interesting explanations for many of our long debated discussions or give more material to discuss about points that haven't been touched yet; overlooking them would be really a bad move (I've expressed myself on this issue other times in the past so I think that it's not necessary to add anything more that could generate some unnecessary debate).
Sachi wrote:Now I want this game even more.

Buy a PSP, I suppose that they're not that expensive right now (or you could wait some other months and maybe they'll become even more cheap if they're really going to release a PSP2/PSPhone; if they don't repeat the same move of the PS2 which is still really overpriced for a 10 year old console); the game itself isn't expensive except the special edition which included a UMD of EoE (I've seen it for around 100€).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 am

BTW is that Game available in english?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Nope.

To answer the original question, it's percieved as cannon by many people because it pretty much goes along with everything in the show but adds a few little new bits of info along the way, just enough to keep the "it's all a big puzzle!" types drooling.

Personally I try to stick to just what happens on the screen when discussing in-series info. Anything that wasn't important enough to be written in can generally be considered just an abandoned draft.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm

I think one of the most important things to remember is that, not everything is going to be completely hashed out and explained from A to B. For a number of reasons.

One of these is obvious. If there was a clear or obvious (or even an existent) answer for every plot hole, it would become a lot less interesting. It's like beating a game with 100% completion, are you really gonna keep trying to find hidden easter eggs after that? No, because you know that you found them all, and now you're bored.

Second, if a million fan geeks (myself included) can't figure something out, it's very likely that it was intentionally left open ended. Are they (spoilers comin here) really gonna explain within the realms of science why Rei grew giant crystal looking wings for no apparent reason in EoE? No, of course not. So why did they do it? Cuz it looks cool, and it's enticing (or disturbing, which is a form of enticement).

Another third, very possible explanation, is that the creators either ran themselves into a corner plot wise or financially, and either weren't able to come up with an acceptable explanation or didn't have the time or money to animate such an explanation.

For example, I'm not saying that Gendo didn't say anything to Ritsuko (before he capped her), I'm just saying that it was purposefully left up for debate, simply because anything that Gendo could've said, wouldn't have been as dramatic as him saying something inaudible. You knew that whatever he said was... well, a lie I'm guessing. I know what came to mind when I first saw it, which further proves my point of how much more memorable it was.

Anyway what I'm saying is, it's not a huge deal if some of the facts don't line up the way they should. NGE's entire franchise and plot encompasses the whole world and more or less all history of life on Earth. We don't even know how it happened in real life, much less in a fictional world. You'll see continuity errors in any storyline, you have to separate the little things from the big important things and find a happy medium.
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 pm

View Original PostShinji wrote:Are they (spoilers comin here) really gonna explain within the realms of science why Rei grew giant crystal looking wings for no apparent reason in EoE? No, of course not. So why did they do it? Cuz it looks cool, and it's enticing (or disturbing, which is a form of enticement).

You don't need to mark spoilers, the movie came out thirteen years ago and contains probably the most notorious images in the entire otaku universe. Everybody knows that Rei becomes enormous and grows wings.

As to why they did it: wings/flight = godlike power (specifically, the S2 engine). NGE hammers this in again and again, and EoE runs with it. It also does look very cool indeed.

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:05 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:You don't need to mark spoilers, the movie came out thirteen years ago and contains probably the most notorious images in the entire otaku universe

Hah good point
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:20 am

Why is it accepted as canon? Because Anno had a hand in it, and the majority of the fandom is more obsessed with plugging up the holes in the literal narrative and mythology than appreciating the work on an artistic level.

Should it be accepted as canon? Read the arguments from both sides HERE and decide for yourself.

View Original PostShinji wrote:If there was a clear or obvious (or even an existent) answer for every plot hole, it would become a lot less interesting. It's like beating a game with 100% completion, are you really gonna keep trying to find hidden easter eggs after that? No, because you know that you found them all, and now you're bored.
I think far too few people really appreciate this fact. Reminds me of John Donne's Love's Infiniteness which could be summarized by the lines:

Yet I would not have all yet.
He that hath all can have no more
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 pm

(inspired by NemZ's post)

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Why is it accepted as canon? Because Anno had a hand in it, and the majority of the fandom is more obsessed with plugging up the holes in the literal narrative and mythology than appreciating the work on an artistic level.

Should it be accepted as canon? Read the arguments from both sides HERE and decide for yourself.

:thumbsup:
Assuming the "alpha's stance vs Gainax's comment" quote is correct, then I will concede that CI is a separate continuity, so we can't claim it as Canon. I still like it, though, and choose to incorporate it in interpretation of Eva stuffs.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”