[LAEM] does anyone get the ADV newsletter?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

V
Banned

Postby V » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:04 pm

Weta chief Richard Taylor is also obsessed with Evangelion.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:19 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
V wrote:the demand for the project, both from fans and from Weta Workshop, is there.

It is? Who's demanding it? It seems like most people are demanding that it dies.

not so...just us type guys...the ones who love Eva enough to join a forum and spend all night waiting for a reply...

i imagine the majority of people who would love a live action eva arent on the internet enough to join this site or even know about the plans for ELAM

besides...i imagine that everyone here...regardless of their complaints over something that hasnt been done...are gonna see it anyway...

so they still make the money...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:07 am

Until I see the source I'll doubt it.

But in the end I think its only gonna DELAY the film.

Hollywood is (and I do love it so nonethless) an incestuous beast. They cannibalize anything that can make a buck. In 1999 superhero movies were a no-go. After Batman & Robin and Spawn flopped it was "obvious" nobody wanted to see Superhero movies. It was why films like Batman 5 (Begins) and Superman (Returns) languished in production for (in Supermans case) over a decade. Suddenly Byan Singer did "X-Men" and people got curious. Some small(ish) superhero films went into production while all the studios waited to see how "Spiderman" would do. When "Spiderman" made buck the flood started. Everybody HAD to have a superhero franchise. Which is why we now have to watch commercials for shit like "Ghost Rider" (cool look but does the character actually have any substance?), another "Punisher" and revamped previous succesess.

At the same time the Horror Remake Craze was starting up. In 2001 horror was pretty much a small time market for Hollywood. Few were made and even fewer were good. Every film had to be a Kevin Williamson "Scream" like film. You know, unscary but self-aware. Hence casting Freddy Krueger as like someones uncle or something just to say "HEY!!! ITS FREDDY FUCKING KRUEGER!!!!". But in 2002 Gore Verbinski knocked out the admittedly good remake of "The Ring". Suddenly remakes of REALLY new Asian movies was the new it thing. In about two years there was "The Grudge", "Dark Water", "The Ring Two" and like 50 other ones with little long haired ghost girls I'm forgetting. It got old FAST. But hey, the Asian remake craze grew so fast that within 4 years someone actually made a good one in 'The Departed" and won an Oscar for it. To be fair I loved the movie and it was wicked awesome but a lot of it was a "sorry" win for Scorsese.

Both these crazes are continuing and one or two properties might slip through the cracks and not be done. For superheros its "Wonder Woman" because none of the studio male big heads know how to make a movie with a girl in the lead...Warner Brothers recently announced they are NOT going to do anymore movies with females in the lead. In a goofy excuse they blame "Lucky YOu" for flopping because it starred Drew Barrymore. Yes, she has no talent but you opened your movie against "Spiderman 3" motherfucker? You could knock out a movie as good as "Citizen Kane" and you'd still flop against "Spiderman 3".
Sorry...I digressed. And for Asian remakes I'm hoping it'll be "Oldboy".

"Transformers" started a soon to be new trend I think. Giant fucking robots. The movie was pretty weak overall. All the characters with the exception of the lead were weak and uninteresting. The story was flawed and well...retarded. (So the Scorpion robot's just roaming the desert? Now THAT sounds like an incredible movie!!!!) Jon Voigt was lamer than usual. And the movie ends with the heros making love on top of their robot friend.
But so what. It had giant FUCKING ROBOTS. Hell, even the Mountain Dew bot didn't ruin it. (which was also never destroyed and now roams the world killing people with Yellow 5 I guess) They had a freaking robot piss on a guy and it still got off pretty well with the public. Hell, I liked the movie and I know its shit.
When the thing breaks DVD selling records this month expect robot movies to really start up. Hell, there's early production on a VOLTRON movie to possibly star Tobey Maguire happening. Its only a matter of time.

What's also going to speed this up is "Speed Racer" depending on how it does. My hope is "Speed Racer" will actually do the opposite and drive studios off the idea. Its got a huge budget and is kinda retarded. But its gonna be G/PG and just needs a good marketing campaign. If it hits the most anime of anime titles will be the starting point for a series of Westernized New York based anime remakes like "Sailor Moon" (starring those Disney chicks), "Dragonball" (oh wait...thats already casting and gonna shoot in Vancouver...shit!), and the inevitable "EVANgelion ALMIGHTY". hehe..all right that flopped hard so no likelyhood of that.

Eh. I ranted. AGAIN.
I hope the Eva film is dead for now. But it;ll probably start up soon enough. I just dont want ADV in charge. I can very well see them just using the exact same script and finding ways to sneak their talentless voice actors in small roles. My gosh, its Tiffany Grant as Mariel Epstein (Maya Ibuki). How cute.
If Eva is taken up by a filmmaker as a decision (like how Bryan Singer was with the first 2 X-Men and Sam Raimi is with "Spiderman"...the 3rd film is the most Raimi one there is). There;s hope. If its a film kicked off by a studio to cash in on a trend I'll expect the DOOM.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:10 am

^ what ^ he ^ said ^

Vir
Embryo

Postby Vir » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:42 am

The source is a known Wikipedia vandal. There are no news feeds anywhere on the ADV site that contain any news about this in August or September.
<*>

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:11 pm

NAveryW wrote:How does its potential grow with Rebuild? If they must make it, I think it'd be better if they did it just based off NGE.

was aauming that if Eva re hit the states and was popular again or gained more popularity it would be better money wise for ADV to make a live action version
I think thats what I was trying to say...
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Hmmm... this is a sticky picky wickle pickle. Old Snaggle is a pig.

On the one hand, I don't really want this to be made. However, if it is, I'd like it to be made before there's a rush of other giant robot movies, anime movies, etc.

Once DBZ and Speed Racer hit, it could quite well be that making live action anime films is the new type of thing Gendo's Papa (BTW, GP, I enjoy reading your rants ^_^) described.

The main problem that I have is that, if people see certain wrong interpretations in the live action non-Anno film, they might carry those interpretations to the anime series. Also, if it... you know... sucks... people might assume the show is also of as little merit.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Big Panda
Lilith

Postby Big Panda » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:38 pm

But is ADV going to do it COMPLETELY?

Or is it gonna show up with the money ("WHERE IS THE MONEY?! WHERE'S THE".... huh... sorry...), and another studio will do the trick?
Because I was thinking it would be the second.
Imagine Warner doing it... Almost every saga they release break some record another Warner saga did.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 pm

.....I can't get over how big a panda that is.....

Yeah, the worst elements of Eva would be carried over into live action. Eva 01 would be a walking penis metaphor because of that horn....even though the damn Evas are huge giant walking wombs complete with amniotic fluid (LCL), giant tampons (am I the only one who sees this in the entry plugs?) and umbilical cords.

P.S. Thanks for liking my rants. Its a good way to NOT work and be productive.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:45 am

I am disappointed.
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Big Panda
Lilith

Postby Big Panda » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:30 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:.....I can't get over how big a panda that is.....

Yeah, the worst elements of Eva would be carried over into live action. Eva 01 would be a walking penis metaphor because of that horn....even though the damn Evas are huge giant walking wombs complete with amniotic fluid (LCL), giant tampons (am I the only one who sees this in the entry plugs?) and umbilical cords.

P.S. Thanks for liking my rants. Its a good way to NOT work and be productive.

You wouldn't want to know...
And tamopns? God. How will I watch Eva again now?
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:40 pm

Why does everyone hate the idea of live action Eva so much? It's not like this movie is for people that are Eva purists, anyway, so why do you care so much? It's not like the people who will see this movie will already care about Eva, and if it turns out to be bad, will suddenly not care anymore. And if the CGI is as good as it is in something like Transformers, then all will be well!
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:01 pm

I think people are worried because if it turns out bad, then it will tarnish the image of the original.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:08 pm

chee wrote:I think people are worried because if it turns out bad, then it will tarnish the image of the original.

Yeah, thinking about it now, that makes sense. If the movie turns out to be really bad (which is a fairly good possibility) then I can see the negative side effects. Like telling somone you like Evangelion and getting something like "Oh, that terrible movie with giant, weird robots?".

Nevertheless, I am still excited about this new movie!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:15 pm

I just hope they get a good director, scriptwriter, composer, and actors.

(Yes, composer. Sometimes, a good score can make or break a movie. Jaws would not have been half as suspenseful without John Williams' music.)

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:48 pm

chee wrote:(Yes, composer. Sometimes, a good score can make or break a movie. Jaws would not have been half as suspenseful without John Williams' music.)

I would hope they'd just re-work Shiroh Sagisu's music, actually. What's the possibility of that happening?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:10 pm

I doubt they'd do that. I'd actually hope they don't. Sure, his music can be good, but covers a wide range of styles that'll seem out of place all together in an American film.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Howard Shore.

V
Banned

Postby V » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:58 pm

my personal hope is of course that the Wachowski Bros will get to direct; yeah they've had some criticism leveled at them, but I think we can agree that at the least, they aren't "Hollywood". They might try to make Eva more "Wachowski" but that is far far preferable to some cookie-cutter stereotypical hollywood Transformers-like blockbuster with a mostly European cast.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:19 pm

V wrote:my personal hope is of course that the Wachowski siblings will get to direct; yeah they've had some criticism leveled at them, but I think we can agree that at the least, they aren't "Hollywood". They might try to make Eva more "Wachowski" but that is far far preferable to some cookie-cutter stereotypical hollywood Transformers-like blockbuster with a mostly European cast.
Fixed.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”