[LAEM] An all Asian cast could work in America

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Executor
Banned

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:Ha. "'Ello Aska, care for a cup of tea."
Why, thank you."

No, British would not work.

Yes. Yes they would. For example, Patrick Stuart played a damn frenchman on TNG. And, guess what? It worked.

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:08 pm

I have a good question, though. WHY English? Can you really think of any specific English actors that would do any better as and Eva char? If they can pull off the accent, then great. It really doesn't matter. But they shouldn't aim for a specific race, simply an actor that would do the best job. Here's an example. I saw the movie "The Informant" a few weeks ago, and a woman in it(the wife to the main guy, the snitch) looked JUST LIKE a young Ritsuko. It was strange. The only thing that was off was the strong Irish accent. If she could get rid of the accent, she would be the perfect Ritsuko.
I hate not having my Siggy.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:46 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Isn't the dude from "House" English? They CAN pull off "American" accents if need be, just look at The Beatles' songs. ^_^

Yeah, he is. And he can pull American accent, just perfect.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:57 am

....Excuse me but why do the BRITISH actors have to conform to the AMERICAN accent in a movie set in Japan?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:31 am

Good question...

Anyways, I hope they hurry up.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:28 pm

Uhm....Because if they don't, we get the wrong type of character. Think of House with an english accent. Think hard.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:Uhm....Because if they don't, we get the wrong type of character. Think of House with an english accent. Think hard.

You get "Jeeves and Wooster", which is a lot better than House.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Ornette wrote:You get "Jeeves and Wooster", which is a lot better than House.

LOL, You can scream that until your purple, and it still won't make it true. :P
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Executor
Banned

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:41 pm

TriLink12 wrote:
Ornette wrote:You get "Jeeves and Wooster", which is a lot better than House.

LOL, You can scream that until your purple, and it still won't make it true. :P

Agreed. HUZZAH FOR HOUSE!!!

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Jeeves and Wooster was good, but it wasn't the same type of character. Oh, and House rocks.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Ornette wrote:
Victorthebattousai wrote:Uhm....Because if they don't, we get the wrong type of character. Think of House with an english accent. Think hard.

You get "Jeeves and Wooster", which is a lot better than House.

One's a comedy and one's a drama. In either show he plays polar opposite characters. You can't really compare them.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:19 am

It should be predomaintly asian cast...but since Nerve is a U.N operation and Asuka is german...have few white, black, etc actors...I would really like to see either Hugh Laurie, Patric Stewart, or any of the guys who played the wizards in LOTRs to play Vice Commander-Fughisa...forgive me for shitty spelling.
I won.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:19 pm

Patrick Stewart might be a great choice for VCF. Because VCF during the series doesn't really look asian well all the chars don't... but either way a mixture of races would be nice ;)
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fromthemist
Embryo

NGE.. in Tokyo

Postby fromthemist » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:23 pm

ITS IN TOKYO.. 93% of them will be japenesse.. or logically be from Japan..logically
I.. want constant joy

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: NGE.. in Tokyo

Postby cat42 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 am

fromthemist wrote:ITS A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE.. 93% of them will be misc. asian.. logically no one can tell the difference..logically

Fixed
:D
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:24 am

Victorthebattousai wrote:Jeeves and Wooster was good, but it wasn't the same type of character. Oh, and House rocks.

House if funny as hell. It's just like CSI in a hospital. :lol:
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:07 pm

i wouold most of them Japanese...not too sure about Shinji...he doesnt really look asian...and Asuka is of course white...so is Ritsuko...the rest should be japs...

shinesman_cobalt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby shinesman_cobalt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:24 am

"Letters from Iwo Jima" and Evangeliong are two different things. Also, as someone pointed it, it may have gotten Nominations, but it bombed at the box office. I imagine Eva will be a summer-blockbuster kinda movie, so the box office preformance will be important. Personally, race never bothered me, so long as the actors can ACT. I do however, hope they atleast get an Asian Rei, and that she is albino. jsut because, that will express the inherent creepiness that is Rei.
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks!?"

S.A.L
Embryo

Postby S.A.L » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:03 am

The problem here is this: It's not that Americans can't tell Chinese from Japanese from Korean, but rather it's the fact that they all look similar. Being a Chinese-Japanese (my great-grand-mother was from Okinawa, the rest are Chinese) living in Singapore, I feel that it's easier to pull out the Chinese national from a bunch of Chinese Singaporeans than to pull out a Japanese from Chinese Singaporeans, as actually,

Chinese, Japanese and Koreans all have a unique accent. We Singaporeans, on the other hand, have the Singlish accent, influenced by the 4 major races here, Chinese, Malay, Indian and European-Eurasian. And the Hong Kong people have a HK accent which is influenced by Canton (Guangzhou) and Brits.

Therefore, the thing about "Chinese having a better command of English than Japanese/Koreans" is not fully true, as it only applies in Singapore/Hong Kong, where English is the 1st language. In China, most locals have a rather poor command of English, and even if they speak English, their English sounds with the East Asian accent.

This East Asian accent is produced because, at the very beginning, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnam people were under China. Slowly, they migrated into their current homelands today, bringing their accents with them. Singapore and Hong Kong were under British rule, so the English language was adopted as 1st language upon England's departure.

On Asuka:

Please, Shinji, STOP SAYING ASKA, ASKA, or I will get seriously miffed. Because that's my surname!!

Oh, yeah... I think Asuka should get a German actor. Or else, Danish at the very least. Denmark and Germany are neighbours, and Danes and Germans have a similar accent too.

I think somebody with light-brown hair will do the trick.

On Rei:

Simple. Get a Japanese! Japanese, naturally are fairer than Koreans/Chinese.

Then give the actress lots of makeup. Simple.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 am

You are mentioning Hollywood as if they are the dominant force here... why? WETA is based in New Zealand, and though it's a bit of a stereotype now, I wouldn't mind them shooting the film there because, like Japan, it's an Island, and imitates their terrain very well.

If Saving Private Ryan can get away with filming the "beaches of Normandy" in Norway, and many "American" set films that were actually filmed in New Zealand, I don't see why they can do the same here, they would probably only need location shots like that for whenever the characters were out and about the city, which is... well, a rare occurence in Evangelion, most of it would probably be the school yard.

As to the cast, I'm counting on that they will get a lot of people we don't know of, especially for the pilots whom they promise to cast as the proper age. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”